How do I pick a goal weight???

Options
I am torn between setting my goal at my "ideal" weight which is 108-128 for my 5 foot frame and the 160 lbs I was 14 years ago, I am 274 right now. I am 55 years old.
14 years ago I was in a size 12 and pretty healthy, but that weight for my height is still considered obese, overweight. 128 lbs seems like an unattainable goal. I don't remember being that little. I have been overweight all my life.
I know my weight loss journey is going to take time and I am ok with that, I am making it a lifestyle change. I am just torn where to set my goal at. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am new to MFP.

Replies

• ReinaLorenz
    ReinaLorenz Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    personally I set little goals for myself....It is easier for me to set a 20 lb. goal and hit it and feel good about myself than to think I have another 100 pounds to go
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I would not get too attached to one number. I have been doing this for 2 years and my goal changed many time to the point where I don't even care of my scale weight. Take a number that seem manageable for now.

Good luck
  • Hermia76
    Hermia76 Posts: 34
    Options
    I would give yourself a goal that pushes you a bit but also inspires you. Perhaps the 108-128 is a bit ambitious since as we get over 40 it gets tougher to lose the weight or maintain the same size/weight we were in our youth.

Sometimes planning small achievable goals (but not too easy) give us some realistic motivation. You don't want it to feel like you'll never get there. Remember, when you hit your first small goal, you can always set another one :-)

Best of luck.
  • Discoveri
    Discoveri Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    You can always change your goal weight later. Start with something like 199 and see how you feel once you reach it. Also if you do exercises that tone and add muscle you will most likely fit into a size 12 before you hit 160.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    160 as a goal would be over 100 lbs! That's an incredible goal! Like most people have mentioned, start small. AIm to lose 40 or 50 lbs and then re-assess your goals. Losing only 10% of your body weight can improve your health so that's a great place to start. Congratulations on deciding to change your life and get healthy!
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I started at 230 pounds and my first goal was to get under 200, "Onederland"
    I've set a few goals since then. My current goal is 130, but I really intend to continue eating and exercising as i have been and see where it takes me.
  • jipowell357
    jipowell357 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have picked 25 lb losses for my small goals so I don't lose interest and I stay motivated. I started losing weight in april and I have already lost 18.5 lbs, to me that is a big victory. My next goal is to get under 200 lbs, in 25 lb stretches. It is just that final goal that I am having a tough time with. I am appreciating the input.

I do exercise. I have bad knees and the dr said no to walking till I lose a bit of weight but I do aqua aerobics 4x a week at Shapes. I love it, low impact, fun and gets me going. I still struggle with doing something the other 3 days, but I am working on it. I know I will get myself motivated.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Set small goals like say 20 lbs to start and then set another goal when you reach that. If you set one big goal, like 128 lbs it'll seem unattainable right now and you might get discouraged if you're not losing the weight you want to. Set small, attainable goals and when you get to a size that you feel ok with -- which is not necessarily a number on the scale but how your clothes fit and how you feel when you see yourself -- then that's your ultimate "goal" weight.
  • Cindym82
    Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' as well, and right now am 125. I do not feel as though this is the right weight for me so my current goal is 115. Make one goal, see how you like how you look when you get there and than decide
  • BringingSherriBack
    BringingSherriBack Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    My original goal weight is also still considered obese, but I picked it because it is my lowest adult weight ever. I am 5'4" and picked 180 pounds as that is the lowest I ever got to as an adult. At 180 pounds, I was a size 14. I was happy at that weight and felt great.
    I also set an ultimate goal weight of 160 pounds which is what I weighed in high school (after losing 75 pounds then). And that is still overweight, but would make me a size 12 (maybe a 10).
    To be a "normal" BMI, I would have to get under 145 pounds. I have a large frame and am fairly muscular so I don't know if 145 pounds is doable or not especially since I have always been heavy and weighed 142 pounds at the age of 9 when I was put on my first supervised diet (lost 25 pounds then), but I was not even 5' tall at age 9 and not developed yet.
    Personally, if I get to 180 pounds I will be happy and anything under that will be bonus.
  • TrishAnn08
    TrishAnn08 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I picked the overall weight I wanted to be at which is 140lbs, but I gave myself a year to get there. I started at 214lbs and now I'm at 198lbs. I know it is going to take time. All I keep thinking is even if I don't reach my weight I want to eat healthy and exercise. Eventually it will happen, but I'm very impatience. I only try to weigh myself once a week that way I see the change.