So sore I can barely move! Should I exercise?

Options
Good morning, y'all! I don't usually post much in the forums, but I am so sore I need some advice please! On Tuesday I did the 300 Ab/core challenge in 15 mins a day for the first time followed by a exercises from thinner thighs in 7 days. While I was doing the exercises I was fine and didn't feel as if I was overextending myself. In fact, I even thought once that I didn't really feel as if it was working. Boy was I wrong!!! When I woke up yesterday I could barely move! My legs and abs were *so sore* they almost felt like dead weight! I did some leisurely swimming yesterday afternoon to get some exercise in, but as the day went on I was getting more and more sore. At one point I was literally waddling and my husband thought it was hysterical. I tried to do some stretches and a super hot shower to loosen myself up, but it hasn't worked! Like, I'm so sore it interfered with my sleep last night b/c I couldn't get comfortable. It's a chore to lift my legs up to put it on the couch. The best way I can describe the pain is that it feels like my muscles have been shredded by Freddy Kruger. So, should I take a day of rest or do you think a good brisk walk would help loosen me up? When should I attempt to do the ab/core & thigh exercises again? TIA!

Replies

• dr3wman
    dr3wman Posts: 205
    Options
    Most soreness is caused by lactic acid build up in the muscle. One of the best ways to speed up lactic acid removal is light-moderate cardio. Getting the blood flowing will help relieve some of the pain. You can also try a foam roller, many people find it helpful for the specific problem areas. Most importantly, make sure you get a good nights sleep! Thats your natural recovery method
  • bjfrezell
    bjfrezell Posts: 241
    Options
    I have to say that the best remedy for soreness for me is to keep moving and take an ibuprofin if I'm horribly sore. I overdid it on the treadmill yesterday doing inclines. While I'm not as sore as you describe, I am pretty sore and I found that walking and stretching has helped today. Hang in there.
  • Solly123
    Solly123 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    You should feel a lot better tomorrow. Its always the 2nd day after hard exercise that hurts the most.

For me, I find that if I do hard exercise on day 1, I need to do a good amount of exercise on day 2 so that I don't totally seize up on day 3!!

Today will be the worst day.. Tomorrow you should be feeling a lot better...
  • soonernick
    soonernick Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    A light walk should help. Don't be a hero and do a full workout. Tried that and it was no good.
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    When I'm really sore, I like to stretch and do an easy spin on my bike. It just helps to move the blood through the muscles. Drink lots of water and take some pain relievers. The pain will go away soon.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Most soreness is caused by lactic acid build up in the muscle. One of the best ways to speed up lactic acid removal is light-moderate cardio. Getting the blood flowing will help relieve some of the pain. You can also try a foam roller, many people find it helpful for the specific problem areas. Most importantly, make sure you get a good nights sleep! Thats your natural recovery method

^^^ This. Plus some nice stretching and lots of water.
  • deannajodouglass
    deannajodouglass Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Soreness, i have found, is best relieved by good stretching and a swim. You can still work out, just start with a lower intensity and work your way up. Once youre blood is pumping, the soreness is much less noticeable. I started a fitness routine about two weeks ago, and the first week i was SOOO sore. i kept doing the workouts and fighting through the soreness, and after the first 5 minutes of the workout i almost forgot i was sore. it took me a week for the soreness to go away completely, but i havent been sore again because ive maintained the conditioning. if you stop working out, its likely you will get slightly sore if you do an intense workout later and your muscles arent used to it.
  • scamberlous
    Options
    Awesome thanks, y'all! I'm about to take a short walk down to the farmer's market and hope that'll loosen things ups!
  • sweetNsassy2584
    sweetNsassy2584 Posts: 515 Member
    Options

This... Do some light cardio. It does wonders for me :)
  • LexyDB
    LexyDB Posts: 261
    Options

Almost, lactic acid prevents blood flow and hinders recovery that is the soreness you feel.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    throw a few advil up in the air and swallow whatever lands in your mouth then go for a walk.
  • AlayshaJ
    AlayshaJ Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Stretching, light cardio, and water.
  • LindaCWy
    LindaCWy Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    A light walk should help. Don't be a hero and do a full workout. Tried that and it was no good.

Did it put you in jail?
  • sl1ngsh0t
    sl1ngsh0t Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    After doing JMBR Week#1 I couldn't sit right for a week. Know what I did? *I kept on exercising.*

That was 3 months ago. Glad I stuck it out; my legs look A-M-A-Z-I-N-G.
  • Twiztedbeing
    Twiztedbeing Posts: 389
    Options
    all that, and I believe somewhere it says get good protein intake, it speeds up recovery while you sleep. Not sure how true, but protein cant really hurt.
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    make sure next time you workout that you stretch immediately after wards to prevent the soreness. at least thats what my trainer told me to do. it helped me
  • gauchogirl
    gauchogirl Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    This was me to a T this morning after Tuesday's workout (different exercises, but same level of soreness.) I decided to be a big girl and work out today anyway. I actually felt better and worked harder than the day that made me sore. I am still sore, yes, but it's not as bad. I feel more flexible and looser. Movement always helps, and I think I'll up the water a bit per everyone's suggestion.
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options

This. Do some simple warmups, or even just start with walking. Try some stretching, but nothing major until the pain subsides. And next time you do workout, don't go quite as hard. Also make sure stretch after your workouts.

I've heard glutamine can help prevent muscle soreness, but I don't know of anything other than tylenol and time to reduce it completely.
  • TiffanyWasmer
    TiffanyWasmer Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I worked out with a trainer on Monday and MAJORLY overdid it!!! Yesterday, on the 4th, my quads and inner thighs hurt so bad that it took me about 5 minutes to get down the stairs...and I had to "brace" myself to sit in a chair!
    The good news is that I can finally walk normally again :) I think some of my painful activity yesterday helped loosen things up.
  • marilynsuarez
    Options
    I know some people love being sore. I wish I was one of those people. I usually take my dogs for a good long walk and that helps get ride of the soreness. I find that sitting around actually makes it last longer for me.