Snack ideas (inc. veggies)

Options
I'm looking for snack ideas that involve veggies. I get plenty of fruit but not enough veggies. It's not that I don't like veggies, I do. It's just that they don't fill me up. So I need snack ideas that will keep me full for 2-3 hours.

Replies

• Erica27511
    Erica27511 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Do you like hummus? Carrots, cucumber..etc with hummus is good.
  • Alitempo
    Alitempo Posts: 1
    Options
    I find Chinese noodles brilliant with a vegetable cube from Knoor.. one stock cube and one round of noodles made with boiled kettle water and put in a micro for 2 mins 30 at 600 watts.. then leave to cool.. very very filling! keeps you away from chocolate cereal bars!

Alison (also Mum to an Angelica x)
  • domgirl85
    domgirl85 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Try fitnessmagazine.com. They have tons of recipes and ideas for snacks. Most of them are pretty good.
  • do4fit
    do4fit Posts: 23
    Options
    I agree, hummus and veggies are super easy to pack around too! Or just straight up sliced up and bagged veggies. You could also make your own dip with some greek yogurt and spices (healthier than store bought stuff and super easy with Epicure products or your own spices like dill).

not exactly a "snack" but make a veggie soup. apparently people who have a broth based soup before a meal eat less calories.. maybe I will take my own advice on that hahahaha.

peanut butter on celery tastes like peanut butter cookies to me.. maybe I just really wanted a cookie.. but tastes the same every time I have it... can also put pb on carrots.
  • pamela_73
    pamela_73 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'd be interested in this too.. but something I would like to suggest is roasted cauliflower and zucchini - salt, pepper, bit of oil, curry powder on 400 F in the oven for 30 mins or so... yum!

Cucumber, zucchini and celery are all super low in calories.
  • heatherterp
    heatherterp Posts: 239
    Options
    celery with peanut butter (ants on a log) or hummus. Snap peas carrots with a tablespoon of veggie dip, veggie chips, roasted green beans or garlic scapes, guacamole, baba ghanoush, or salsa—dips made of veggies! sundries tomato and artichoke on pita ot toast points or on celery carrots, stuffed tomato w/ricotta, vegetable spring rolls with jullian carrots, cucumber, peppers ,and sprouts with an asian dipper, corn salsa.

these next few all have fruit but still very good

Cinnamon Walnut Apple Crisp
    Produce: 1 medium apple, finely chopped (skin on)
    Whole grain: 1/4 cup whole oats
    Lean protein: 1 cup skim milk
    Plant based fat: 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
    SASS: 1 tablespoon lemon juice; 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon

In a bowl, mix chopped apple with lemon juice and cinnamon and microwave on high for 3 to 5 minutes until soft and juicy. Top with oats and walnuts; serve with a glass of milk.

Variation 1: Walnut-Apple Smoothie
    Replace the walnuts with 2 tablespoons walnut butter. In a blender, mix together the apple (remove core, seeds, and skin), oats, milk, walnut butter, spices (omit lemon juice), and a handful of ice. Serve in a glass.

Variation 2: Apple-Ricotta Toast
    Replace oats with 1 slice toasted 100 percent whole grain bread and trade milk for 1/4 cup nonfat organic ricotta cheese. Top toast with ricotta, apple, and walnuts, then sprinkle with cinnamon (omit lemon juice).

Variation 3: Open-Faced Cheese and Apple Sandwich
    Replace the oats with 1 slice 100-percentwhole grain bread and trade the milk for 1 ounce smoked Gouda. In a small bowl, toss apple with lemon juice and cinnamon and microwave on high for 3 to 5 minutes until soft and juicy. Top the bread with thin slices of Gouda, the warmed apple, and walnuts.

Variation 4: Cinnamon and Pear Crisp
    Replace the apple with a pear and trade walnuts for sliced almonds. In a small bowl, toss the chopped pear with lemon juice and add cinnamon; microwave on high for 3 to 5 minutes until soft and juicy. Top with oats and almonds; serve with a glass of milk.

Variation 5: Creamy Strawberry Swirl
    Preheat the oven to 350°. Replace the apple with 1 cup sliced strawberries, trade the milk for 1/2 cup nonfat cottage cheese. Toast the oats on a baking pan in the oven for 3 to 5 minutes until golden brown. Fold the cinnamon into the cottage cheese (omit lemon juice), stir in strawberries, and top with walnuts and the toasted oats.

Variation 6: Ginger-Apple Parfait
    Preheat the oven to 350°. Replace the milk with 6 ounces nonfat Greek yogurt. Toast the oats on a baking pan in the oven for 3 to 5 minutes until golden brown. Fold cinnamon into the yogurt and replace the lemon with 1/2 teaspoon fresh grated ginger, mix and layer, parfait-style, with apple slices, oats, and walnuts.

under 100 calories
    When that 3 p.m. hunger pang hits, it’s easy to reach for candy or chips. But they’re hardly ideal—especially if you’re counting calories or focusing on healthy eating. The best way to avoid filling up on junk is to have delicious alternatives, including the following seven healthy-yet-delicious treats, each of which boasts around 100 calories.

Turkey and Breadstick Rollups
    Here’s a quick twist on the infamous turkey and cheese roll-up: spread two teaspoons of honey mustard on one slice of deli turkey and wrap it around a sesame breadstick. Viola! You’ve got a savory snack with a satisfying crunch. Best part? You can actually eat two of these roll-ups and still come in around 100 calories.
    SEE MORE: Fabulous Fall Dresses

Nuts
    When you don’t have a lot of time and need to grab something quick on the go, a handful of nuts is a great option. Depending on the type of nut, you can actually have a good-sized snack, with appetite-curbing protein to boot! Like what? Try 14 almonds, 17 peanuts, or 25 pistachios. But skip macadamia nuts, each of which packs nearly 20 calories.

Granola Bar
    Another quick, delicious, and low-calorie treat is a granola bar. Yes, many break the 100-calorie threshold, but some of the low-fat or low-sugar bars come in right around or just under 100. Our vote goes to the Quaker Oats Chewy Low Fat Chocolate Chunk bars—delish!
    SEE MORE: Chic (and Whimsical) Entertaining Essentials

Peanut Butter and Celery Sticks
    An oldie but goodie, this super delicious treat is actually pretty darn healthy too! A cup of celery only has 19 calories and two teaspoons of peanut butter has 64—plus it includes protein, which keeps you filling full longer. And don’t bother reaching for the low-fat stuff; it only has two less calories that regular peanut butter.

Yogurt
    Aside from its health benefits (it’s full of protein, vitamin D, and calcium,) yogurt can satisfy dessert cravings without the guilt. And with so many manufacturers producing low-fat and fat-free products, it’s easy to stay around the 100-calorie mark. Yoplait has even started making yogurt flavors that mimic real desserts like Apple Turnover, Black Forest Cake, Boston Crème Pie, and Red Velvet Cake. So grab a spoon and dive in.
    SEE MORE: Gorgeous Cardigans to Cozy Up In

Carrots and Hummus
    What do you get when you dip a cup’s worth of baby carrots (50 calories) into a couple tablespoons of hummus (50 calories)? A quick, satisfying, and absolutely wholesome treat. Since hummus is low in sugar and cholesterol-free, it’s a wonderful alternative to cheese or dip.

Fruit Salad
    Whether you make your own or grab a ready-made fruit salad from the local grocer, you can’t go wrong with a snack straight from nature. To make your own fruit salad and stay under the 100 calorie mark, slice half a medium banana into round disks, cut half an apple into little wedges, grab five to six grapes, put them in a sealable container, and sprinkle with a little cinnamon.

Veggie snacks!!!
    Radishes with Herb Butter – A simple snack, but quite perfect. If you’ve pulled the radishes from your own garden, then you really are set.

Pickled Green Beans – Pickles don’t have to be cucumber-based! I think you’ll find these pickled green beans rather addicting.

Garlic-roasted Edamame – I enjoy edamame as much as the other person, but roast it with plenty of garlic like the Wishful Chef and I’ll have it for snack every day.

These Greek Salad Skewers are mostly all vegetables, combining cucumber, olives, tomato and feta cheese for a pop of flavor. Switch out the feta for sweet red bell peppers if you really wish to stick to vegetables.

Slow-Roasted Cherry Tomatoes – They’re not just for adding to pasta! They make an addictive little snack, especially when paired with a bowl of fresh ricotta.