protein problems

Options
I started watching my diet and my weight and I really want to consume more protein than carbs but I can't find food that contain much... can somebody give me recipes to high protein meals? and foods generly ? thank you! :)

Replies

• kierstin1976
    kierstin1976 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Yogurt, cottage cheese, fish, chicken to name a few
  • Giniac
    Giniac Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Are you eating lean meats (chicken, tuna, beef)?

For price, tuna and chicken are best for high protein low fats.

When making meals for it, I usually have them in a wrap (tuna/chicken) with just lettuce or with potatoes and mixed veg (chicken). Best to grill the meats as well.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Meat, Fish, Eggs, Greek Yoghurt, Cheese, Nuts, Veg.

If you're still having trouble getting to the numbers you want you can also get whey protein powder. Better to get it from real sources though imo.
  • Kara_xxx
    Kara_xxx Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    chicken breast, turkey, tuna, lean pork, lean beef, other fish.
  • kat11295
    kat11295 Posts: 3
    Options
    Thank you , and I start eating more lean meat and I'll see the progress , thanks again!
  • Giniac
    Giniac Posts: 36 Member
    Options

If you're still having trouble getting to the numbers you want you can also get whey protein powder. Better to get it from real sources though imo.

I wouldn't got for nuts personally. They're a waste of calories, because of the high fats so after you've had a handful you've waste something like 200 calories (depending on type) and they've done nothing to help the hunger.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I have a large quantity of beans during my lunches (in a salad) and a chicken breast for supper. The two together put my protein amount at/above what my goal is.

I don't have any protein for snacks or breakfast. That will change when I start doing more resistance oriented training.
  • hmuh
    hmuh Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I started adding a scoop, sometimes two, of genisoy protein powder to my smoothies in the mornings. It's not too chalky and is an easy way to up the protein. Also, egg beaters or liquid egg whites are good to scramble up with veggies, very quick and easy. Best wishes!
  • deannajodouglass
    deannajodouglass Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    greek yogurt has been my favorite protein source for about a year now. the stuff is amazing. i normally get the plain 0% dannon greek and put about a teaspoon or two of honey in it, and its delicious. I also like nonfat cottage cheese with raspberries and blueberries in it. also, if you are one for protein bars and mixes, my favorites are supreme protein carb conscious (you can get smaller bars for around 200 calories or larger ones for around 400 calories, i normally get the larger ones because they have 30 grams of protein and can substitute an entire meal), EAS myoplex lite (the personal size shakes, they come in a pack of 4 at walmart, 20 grams of protein and less than 200 calories), and six star whey protein plus (i get the vanilla cream flavor because you can mix fruit and stuff in with it in the blender, 30 grams of protein for 160 calories. i normally mix it in with skim milk and frozen fruit in a blender and you get a tasty shake). hope that helps:)
  • Kara_xxx
    Kara_xxx Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    I have a large quantity of beans during my lunches...

:laugh: I bet you're popular at work... :sick:
  • chivalryder
    Options

I wouldn't got for nuts personally. They're a waste of calories, because of the high fats so after you've had a handful you've waste something like 200 calories (depending on type) and they've done nothing to help the hunger.

Nuts are generally higher in fat than they are protein, but for nutrition, you can't do much better. The fat is healthy fat (Omega-3, etc.), and they're packed full or various essential nutrients and minerals that are hard to find in other places.

I say, if you want to eat fewer calories, eat the nuts with fruit that have a low density of sugars (apples, watermelon, etc.). That way, you'll still be eating higher volume, but the calorie intake will be lower. Don't eat nuts with crackers, as crackers aren't as filling, and are more calorie dense.

Added: Just don't eat a LOT of nuts. 10-30g (depending on you calorie budget) is enough.
  • chivalryder
    Options
    I have a large quantity of beans during my lunches...

:laugh: I bet you're popular at work... :sick:

I've actually never had that sort of problem. I have more issues with dairy than beans.
  • muggsmom
    muggsmom Posts: 28
    Options

However, if you're having just a salad for a meal, adding nuts to it is a good way to add protein.
  • darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Do you really want to eat more protein than you do carbs… percentage wise, or are you just saying you'd like to increase your protein intake and eat fewer carbs? You can read about a lot of different macro-nutrient ratios that people use, but I can't think of any I've seen that - for any kind of normal activity - actually promote a higher percentage of protein than carbs (I discount Atkins, sorry). Since you're young and still growing, you really do need your "fair share" of good carbs. Just wasn't sure what your ultimate goal was, so threw this out here.

But, yeah, I agree with all the other posters on their lists of great, lean meats. Nuts really are way more fat than protein. I LOVE nuts, and for me they actually do satiate my hunger (fats will tend to do that), but they also burn through my daily caloric goal in not time!

Good luck! It's wonderful to see someone young care about their health! You are on the road to a long,healthy life! :flowerforyou:
  • notRapunsel
    Options
    I have sort of the same problem! I have started consuming more meat like chicken, turkey, and tuna (fun fact: a 4oz can of tuna is 100 calories and has 22 grams of protein) as well as more nuts.

Occasionally I make a protein shake with Raw Meal Organic Meal Replacement which is just really an organic plant-based protein powder, but only if I can get it down without gagging...lol, it tastes VERY chalky, but OK with bananas in it - plus, it has TONS of good quality protein.

My new favorite snack is a soft boiled egg with cheese, which also has good protein. I also drink a lot of farm-fresh, raw milk.

Since I'm obviously an omnivore, that's what works for me, however, if you're not a big meat/dairy products person, you might try lentils and quinoa, which are both very high in protein as well and quite delicious.

Since hummus is made with beans and tahini, it also makes a very good snack, and I could probably eat like, a cup in each sitting. I <3 hummus! I hope this helps, and good luck on your journey!
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options

To each, his own. I tend to snack on nuts because I like how they taste, and they're more satisfying to me than say, eating crackers or cookies. My calorie allocation is low (short, small, older), and I can still fit it in just fine. On my high veg days, it's the one easy way that I can bump up my calories to goal levels.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options

Far from a waste of calories. They are packed more densely with antioxidants, vitamins and minerals than any other foodstuff except vegetables. Proven in no end of studies to improve omega 3 to 6 ratio and lower serum cholesterol. In terms of hunger, the fat content actually helps stave that off (protein is not the only hunger killer, fat is an important component of satiety)

A moderate daily amount of nuts (100-200 cals worth) should be a staple of any healthy diet imo.
  • rawfull
    rawfull Posts: 178
    Options
    I get all my protein from green leafy vegetables, nuts and seeds. Which is approximately 10% of my calories are from protein.
    I suggest researching for the healthiest sources of protein, and limiting processed carbohydrates.
    All proteins are not equally healthy. http://nutritionfacts.org/video/harvards-meat-and-mortality-studies/

Good Luck :)
  • kat11295
    kat11295 Posts: 3
    Options
    Do you really want to eat more protein than you do carbs… percentage wise, or are you just saying you'd like to increase your protein intake and eat fewer carbs? You can read about a lot of different macro-nutrient ratios that people use, but I can't think of any I've seen that - for any kind of normal activity - actually promote a higher percentage of protein than carbs (I discount Atkins, sorry). Since you're young and still growing, you really do need your "fair share" of good carbs. Just wasn't sure what your ultimate goal was, so threw this out here.

But, yeah, I agree with all the other posters on their lists of great, lean meats. Nuts really are way more fat than protein. I LOVE nuts, and for me they actually do satiate my hunger (fats will tend to do that), but they also burn through my daily caloric goal in not time!

Good luck! It's wonderful to see someone young care about their health! You are on the road to a long,healthy life! :flowerforyou:
    I eat carbs but pretty much a poor amount of protein according MFP , I like to increase the amount to get carbs protein and fat just as my body need , carbs and fat I get enough but in protein I have a problem , but now I will start eating more proetin along my carbs , no worry it's not a diet thing it is just eating healthy :) and thank you!
  • LucyFordxo
    LucyFordxo Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Organic Tofu!!! It's flavorless and you can buy it in different consistencys like extra firm (my favorite!!!) or silk (almost like a liquid-throw it in a smoothie..or add a tsp of caco powder or blend with berries for a fun pudding!!)