Vegetarians?

Options
Hi everyone, I've been a vegetarian for a few years now and also in he past few years I've gained weight, I don't know if these coincide but I know everyone has the idea that being vegetarian means you automatically lose weight so just wanted to know if anyone else is veggie and has any ideas? Or how they lose weight as veggies?

Replies

• shaynak112
    shaynak112 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian - wish I could help more but I've stayed about the same weight since I became vegetarian. I never ate much meat before anyway. I still find that I'm much healthier than I was before, it just didn't help me lose weight :p
  • Elbr0wn18
    Elbr0wn18 Posts: 8
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian - wish I could help more but I've stayed about the same weight since I became vegetarian. I never ate much meat before anyway. I still find that I'm much healthier than I was before, it just didn't help me lose weight :p

In the same, never really ate much meat before, but now I find that I snack a lot now and after some meals don't feel as full
  • shaynak112
    shaynak112 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    I eat more veggies now, and more beans. Beans, rice, potatoes - they make me full. Especially beans though!!
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    If by transitioning into a vegetarian, it results in that you eat less calories, then yes, you will lose weight. It's pretty easy to do exactly the opposite as well though. Particularly if your protein intake decreases as a result of the transition (because you will be hungrier).
  • iris8pie
    iris8pie Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    when I married my man, (who has never eaten meat in his life) I also became a vegetarian and gained about 40 lbs. Its because of all the carbs. People think vegetarians just eat vegetables but that is not that case or at least it wasnt our case! we ate tons of pasta, bread, potatoes etc. basically carbs and sugar make you gain weight.
  • Pandabuhr
    Pandabuhr Posts: 5
    Options
    Hi everyone, I've been a vegetarian for a few years now and also in he past few years I've gained weight, I don't know if these coincide but I know everyone has the idea that being vegetarian means you automatically lose weight so just wanted to know if anyone else is veggie and has any ideas? Or how they lose weight as veggies?

When I first became a vegetarian, I ate a lot of egg whites, beans, and had a fruit or vegetable with every meal. Some people who switch to being a vegetarian automatically become what I call junkatarians and eat things like chips and cookies, which will cause a gain. I don't think that's the case with you though! You could try going vegan and eating the raw diet, but that takes a whole lot of commitment.

So, if I were you, I'd just eat more protein in your diet to keep you full longer (so beans, veggie burgers like boca burgers, eggs). That'll help you out a whole lot! And try taking a vitamin supplement to get the minerals and things you need too, if you aren't doing that already!
  • sdai3
    sdai3 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I gained about 40 lbs when I first became vegetarian... but I was 11 so I don't know if it was due to poor eating habits or more of a growing type of thing, either way I didn't know what I was doing so it was probably a lot to do with my food choices. I've been vegetarian for over 9 years and vegan for 2 and I was still the same weight or heavier after becoming vegan. The only time i've been able to lose weight is when I started working out. I did really up my vegetable and fruit intake also and try to stay away from a lot of breads and pasta. You should try making smoothies! You can get so many servings and fruits and veggies into one and it's filling. Look up green smoothies. They're seriously delicious. I don't add anything to mine but fruits, veggies, and ice and occasionally water if it's too thick. It's working for me maybe it'll work for you
  • SunshineT83
    SunshineT83 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I have fiddled around with eating vegetarian (I'm Texan and it's hard to let go of Brisket :blushing: )
    But I guess ultimately it all depends on what type of vegetarian you are.
    Do you find that you eat a lot of pre-packed/processed foods, just because they don't contain meat? (chips, crackers, cookies, sodas, too many heavily processed soy products, etc)
    Do you still consume dairy products? (this isn't necessarily bad, you just maybe heavy on something like cheese that's high in calories)
    Do you have a heavy sweet tooth? (sugar adds up fast especially if you are eating other processed foods)

These things all contribute significantly to a persons' weight gain. It is really important to be aware of what you're eating rather than simply believing the because it does not contain meat (or animal products for that matter) that it is healthier for you.
    If you find that you are snacking more, take a look at what you are snacking on, or maybe your main meals need to be a bit heavier. Add some beans, peas, lentils, or nuts to your meal and maybe double your veggie serving? Be sure to watch out for the refined grains, try adding more whole grains to your meal to help keep you satisfied. (brown rice, oats, Whole Wheat, etc)
  • MissMitty
    MissMitty Posts: 4
    Options
    thank you so much for addressing this. I stopped eating meat (just eat fish but am planning to wean off of that too) for the past 4 or 5 years and its been challenging because of the fact the junk food and carbs are definately meatless and perhaps did play a role in my weight gain over the last few years. Since starting the MFP I noticed that I get really hungry between 3 and 5pm like "I need a wollap of protein now" kinda hungry and the minute I consumer a slice of cheese pizza from costco I feel better....so I think there may be something to the protein issue. I'm trying to incorporate more hearty protein in my diet (beans, morning star products, eggs) and will try to figure out a meal for that window of time when I am so hungry cranky like. I do protien shakes too but their like 200 cals. and not too filling

Any suggestions on a good meatless protein that satiates you.....
  • MissMitty
    MissMitty Posts: 4
    Options
    thank you so much for addressing this. I stopped eating meat (just eat fish but am planning to wean off of that too) for the past 4 or 5 years and its been challenging because of the fact the junk food and carbs are definately meatless and perhaps did play a role in my weight gain over the last few years. Since starting the MFP I noticed that I get really hungry between 3 and 5pm like "I need a wollap of protein now" kinda hungry and the minute I consumer a slice of cheese pizza from costco I feel better....so I think there may be something to the protein issue. I'm trying to incorporate more hearty protein in my diet (beans, morning star products, eggs) and will try to figure out a meal for that window of time when I am so hungry cranky like. I do protien shakes too but their like 200 cals. and not too filling

Any suggestions on a good meatless protein that satiates you.....:flowerforyou:

I also have been reading about how articfical sugar even Truvia which is supposed to be better might trigger sugar cravings and even slow metabolism. Darn that would mean my diet cokes and green tea with Truvia might be working against me :(
  • lostropav
    lostropav Posts: 21
    Options
    I'm not completely vegetarian but my husband is, so no meat at home and in very limited quantities outside. What has been working for me is whole grains: quinoa and brown rice mostly, beans (garbanzos too!) and lot's of healthy yet filling veggies (like squash). And staying away from the obvious: potatoes, refined sugar, white flour...
    It is harder when traveling or eating out since you don't have as many options (and then the cheese pizza looks so tempting...). Therefore I always have some nuts in my bag.
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    MissMitty - Greek yogurt
  • mbarcelo
    mbarcelo Posts: 1
    Options
    I've lost 84 pounds (and still losing), went from 230 cholesterol to 130 and 135 fasting blood sugar to 86 since going from vegetarian to vegan. I was much heavier and unhealthier as a vegetarian. I avoid vegan junk food, fried food and sugar. I use a lot of the recipes in the Engine 2 Diet and the Happy Herbivore cookbook. I eat mostly non-processed stuff, lots of greens, do yoga 6 days a week plus walking and I go to a support group for compulsive eaters. I don't have to strain, kill myself in the gym or micromanage my calories and I don't go hungry. I check in once in awhile to just see where I'm at calorie-wise and to track my weight. Best thing I ever did was go vegan and get support doing it! Good luck to you on your health journey :smile:
  • Elbr0wn18
    Elbr0wn18 Posts: 8
    Options

Any suggestions on a good meatless protein that satiates you.....

heya exaclty the same as me, whenever i come home at 3 after i finish school i am so hungry and my school is so terrible for accomodating to vegetarians, its either salad (which you can tell has been there all week) or cheese pizza or panini. everything veggie is bread/cheese based and this is my main downfall, because i always get hungry and unlike meat eaters who can fix themselves a sandwich, i find vegetarian sandwiches very unfilling so i'd end up scoffing crisps or lots of toast. so i am definately trying to cut back on bread/cheese and can safely say i haven't eaten either in 2 days! ;) but i find quorn breaded 'chicken' high in protein, low in fat like most quorn and quite filling as well.
  • MarvelousMarv10
    Options
    I, too, am a veg-head (more than 20 yrs.) who found myself gaining weight, particularly over the past 2 years. It was a combination of "maturing metabolism" and my not exercising regularly (which I used to do) catching up with my, less-than-balanced eating (the carb thing - pasta and bread, especially seem to become veg-heads go-to friends). I've added regular exercise back in, but it wasn't until I began MFP AND had a talk w/my trainer re: the time it seemed to be taking to get rid of and stabilize that I gained greater clarity.

One thing he recommended that I do - cut back on the amount of fruit (good carbs are still carbs) and add a 1/2 cup of dried oats to my smoothies (blend well) and a scoop of protein powder (I use Whole Foods 365 whey protein). It's made a real difference and those 200 calories are now a lot more filling. A snack that I like is Quaker Oats caramel rice cakes (50 calories each) with Trader Joe's unsalted peanut butter (1 tablespoon can be split between both cakes or if you had a good workout that day, splurge and smear a little extra - I do!). When all else fails and I just have to have my sweet-sweets (my sweet-tooth is always lurking in the background and I've managed to get a lot better), I give in, have a Peppermint Patty - 140 calories - dispense with the guilt and keep it moving! Hope a couple of these suggestions are helpful.
  • sazzyp1973
    sazzyp1973 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I was a vegetarian for 17 years. I have a much healthier diet now I have meat and fish in my diet. I had too much cheese and carbohydrates as a veggie. Over time I struggled to digest cows milk and so had to change my diet and started by putting fish into my diet and now meat too (if I know where it comes from) to get the protein I was then losing from not having the cheese. Afterall, there is only a certain amount of tofu one person can eat!