Quiting exercise

Options
I think I need to quit exercise. Most days I walk two miles, run two miles+ and then go to a boxing or kickboxing class. This allows me to eat about 3100 calories after exercise calories. This formula hasn't been working for me recently. As in, I am not losing weight even if I am attempting to eat 2000 calories a day. I'm not sure if my body is thinking it is starving or what the heck is going on.

My new plan is to cut back on my exercise I try and eat 1500 calories a day for a month. I will probably walk two miles and three times a week run two miles but eliminate the other more strenuous options.

Any positive/helpful thoughts?

Replies

• yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I think quitting the exercise part is the last thing you should do. I'd add some strength training instead of leaning on light cardio/intense cardio for results.
  • mama2shi
    mama2shi Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I think quitting the exercise part is the last thing you should do. I'd add some strength training instead of leaning on light cardio/intense cardio for results.

^This...try strength training. It has done wonders for me :)
  • miracole
    miracole Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other responses, if you're stagnating try some weight training
  • NoxDineen
    NoxDineen Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    3100 calories is sort of insane. Walking 2 miles would burn maybe 100 calories, running 2 miles would also burn maybe 200 calories, and hour of kickboxing... 600ish?

So you're trying to lose weight at over 2k calories net per day? Eat less calories (and maybe re-examine what you're eating), keep working out.
  • tstella224
    tstella224 Posts: 11
    Options
    I agree. Don't quit exercising, but do include strength training. That is what helped me out.
  • AshRyd
    AshRyd Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    put away the scale and get out the measuring tape :wink:
  • juliebeannn
    juliebeannn Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    if you total burn on those days are 3000+ but you're only eating around 2000ish calories, you're not eating enough.

i second the idea of cutting down on the cardio and add strength training. just my 2 cents.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    3100 calories is sort of insane. Walking 2 miles would burn maybe 100 calories, running 2 miles would also burn maybe 200 calories, and hour of kickboxing... 600ish?

So you're trying to lose weight at over 2k calories net per day? Eat less calories (and maybe re-examine what you're eating), keep working out.

I lose at 3100 calories, what's insane about it? Calories in vs. calories out. There are people on here that lose at 4k, it's all about the math and your effort.

M
    5'10
    180 lbs
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options

I lose at 3100 calories, what's insane about it? Calories in vs. calories out. There are people on here that lose at 4k, it's all about the math and your effort.

M
    5'10
    180 lbs

that's what she said, if youre only burning 3-400 calories, maybe eating 3100 isnt the right balance............
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    You ARE doing too much cardio. Additionally your calorie burn estimates might be too high, which might be causing the slow progress.

I'd suggest adding in a heavy lifting program. I'd recommended either Stronglifts 5x5 or New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women. Limit your cardio to no more than an hour 3 times a week and less than that would be fine too.
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    7584267_8471.jpg

I really don't have anything to contribute to this thread... mostly because the original premise makes my face hurt.

However, I have to say, as 24 year martial artist and father of 4... that "Napout" t-shirt Magerum's son is wearing is the single greatest thing, I have ever seen, ever.

I shall now Google until I find many, many of these.

Haha I was about to say the same thing. It's already time for me to Nap it Out!
  • jldunn713
    jldunn713 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I don't think your current exercise routine is burning as many calories as you think and that is why you aren't losing weight. Don't stop exercising! It is critical to staying healthy. Instead, up the intensity of your exercise (start lifting some weights and run instead of walking) and cut back just a bit on calories (if you enter your info in mfp accruately, the amount of calories should be correct)
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    I find exercise requiting and exciting. I could never think of quitting.

I'd go with cleaning up your diet a smidge and adding in resistance work as well.
  • GodsGirl37
    GodsGirl37 Posts: 348
    Options
    This!
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options

^This...try strength training. It has done wonders for me :)

:heart: :heart: :heart:
  • Kara_xxx
    Kara_xxx Posts: 635 Member
    Options

That!! You're hugely overestimating your burn.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    is the amount of time you spend exercising (and not doing other things) worth the enjoyment from consuming the extra calories?
  • juliebeannn
    juliebeannn Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    i think the OP means that 3100 is TDEE, not what she burns during those exercises.....?
  • LindaCWy
    LindaCWy Posts: 463 Member
    Options

Maybe I should drive home the fact that this answer says it all. General consensus? Pick up some heavy Sh@t
  • cjh03
    cjh03 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Like others have mentioned, add in some weight training. It will help you balance out the weekly cardio and will build muscle to help burn off more fat.