Ladies with PCOS

Options
13»

Replies

• veggiesaurus15
    veggiesaurus15 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Me as well. I have lost about 70 pounds since last July and have had some resolution of symptoms. Not on any medications.
  • IslandDer
    IslandDer Posts: 27
    Options
    bump
  • Alee4nia
    Alee4nia Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    pcos lady here too...good news, dropped 40 lbs and pcos in remission and getting regular ovulatory cycles...friend me if you like!
  • mrsslimkatie
    Options
    Hi Everyone,
    I am 34 and got diangnosed with pcos about 7 yrs ago after giving birth to my daughter although I am sure I have always had this condition as I have had a full beard since 14, didnt get a period until I was in my early 2o's, have thinning hair, and carry most of my weight in my abdomen. Thank goodness I was able to concieve my child without any issue at all. I attribute this to loosing 100 lbs in the few years prior (I gained that all back during my pregnancy).
    I was on met for a few years with little effect one way or the other so I just stopped taking it. I feel like I have been on a constant diet and excercise routine with no result. Recently at a routine doctors appt. I weighed in at 301lbs. This was the most I ever weighed and being over 300lbs was devastating to me. I joined my gym that same day and began working out 6 days a week and watching what I ate. I lost 16lbs in 3 months. I constantly research exercise and diet methods that might work for me and I came accross intermittent fasting. The research suggests that this method helps folks with insulin resistance. I am just wrapping up my first week with this method and have lost and additional 5lbs :bigsmile: !!!! I have SSSOOO much HOPE with this method because it helps me stick to a restricted calorie diet (something I have never been able to do in the past as it caused me much anxiety to spread out minimal calories over many small meals), it helps me feel in control of my circumstances, and I am feeling so much increased energy as if I am 20 yrs old again! With intermittent fasting I am able to track my calories with out anxiety and finally take advantage on MFP. I am finding so much inpiration here and welcome anyone to add me for support!
    Some tips that help me personally with my pcos include:
    Low glycemic load/index diet
    weightlifting
    sweat inducing cardio
    Natural metablolism increasing and liver function foods like lemon, cinn, cayenne pepper, dandelion
    Accupressure (esp the liver and kidney meridians)
    and most importantly self adoration, care, love, respect, acceptance and compassion :flowerforyou:
  • lbinns77
    lbinns77 Posts: 8
    Options
    Hi all, I'm a fellow PCOS-er. Diagnosed this year and am having trouble getting back into shape - now I know that I have a medical reason for it! Craziness!! Just saying hello - always looking for support and motivation!
  • sparkles2110
    Options
    Hi Ladies. I have been diagnosed with PCOS for about 7 years now. They had me on metformin and then when I got pregnant in 2006 they took me off. I have just recently been put back on 750 mg. I also have hypothrodism and take synthroid for that. I'm looking for support and any tips you ladies have had to keep your weight going down :) My doctor told me to try a low carb diet, before that I was just tracking calories. I need some help getting started :)
  • BabyGrl726
    BabyGrl726 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Well i keep hearing that counting calories is what is most important because what you lose in carb calories you gain in fat calories. I have tested this theory. I went to the grocery store and picked up several of the same items, one listed low carb. Well the calorie count was still the same or within 20 calories of each other.

So I dont choose items that boast to be lower carb.....I try to choose items that are naturally lower carbs. Plus working out. I am foregoing metformin.

I love making new friends on here because I feel like I learn a lot from them and get new ideas on food ideas and workout ideas.

Please feel free to friend me! :0)
  • asayyar
    asayyar Posts: 7
    Options
    Just joined MFP. I have had PCOS since my early 20s. I only was diagnosed because I gained 15 pounds in one month and went to see my OB/GYN in a panic about it. I am not pre diabetic but my doctor wanted me to try metformin jut to see if it would work. The side effects scare me silly so I stay on birth control alone which helps with the hair issues and the acne and keeps me regular but does NOTHING for my weight. They say go easy on the carbs but all that leads me to do is avoid them for a week or so and then eat an entire bag of chips and a bag of cookies in one sitting. So, on the advice of my amazing sister, I am giving this a go and while I am sad to see others have to deal with the disease like me, it is nice to see that there are methods to cope with this that do not involve meds and to read the success stories.
  • cmscricketdesi
    cmscricketdesi Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi! Another PCOer here! I was diagnosed when I was 12 but with hard work, lost a lot of my weight when I went off the college. Recently, I have gained all that and more back. I have to lose atleast 50 lbs and it has been really the worst year. Nice to meet you all! Keep up the good work and we can overcome this!
  • Glamazon511
    Glamazon511 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I am a PCOS girl too....I would like to know if any one has had success with laser treatments.
  • xbleedingxglitterx
    Options
    Another PCOS gal here. I'm not currently taking any meds for it although I was on met and birth control in the past.
  • ssotolopez
    Options
    I've (unfortunately) had PCOS since the summer before I turned 16... was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism at the same time, as well. I was put on Levothyroxin 50mg for Thyroid, and for PCOS I took Spironolactone (Aldactone) 25mg, Metmorfin 1000mg/day, and Yasmin BCP. After about 4 years, I talked to my doctor and told her how Metformin and Spironolactone tend to make me feel nauseous all the time, and she said to just not take them--that they didn't really seem to play a role on my blood sugar according to my recent bloodwork....

...I've ballooned ridiculously since then. Even when I watched what I eat, I don't lose weight as I should. Right now, I'm at my heaviest, and finally realized that my body probably needs some sort of Metformin-like supplement for it to start functioning right again... I want to try Chromium Polynicotinate, since I heard it works wonders on women with PCOS/Insulin-Resistance. They say Cinnamon works too, but I'm allergic... any advice on how effective the Chromium Polynicotinate is???
  • jdad1
    jdad1 Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    My wife has PCOS and she is really emotional about her struggles with it and weight loss. If any of you want you could add her as a friend. She needs support from you ladies that know about her struggles. (stormygirl_82)