exercise and panic attacks?

Options
Sid1988
Sid1988 Posts: 170 Member
I suffer from anxiety and panic attacks and i have done since i was 16 and each one is just as scary as the first one i ever had but it's something i am slowly learning to deal with and trying different ways to cope with them.

The problem that i have is that i sometimes get them when i am exercising at the gym.

Does anyone else have this problem? if so, how do you deal with them?

Replies

• WILSONBA
    WILSONBA Posts: 197
    Options
    I have delt with anxiety attacks since 2005 so i know how you feel. At one point I had a doctor tell me to suck in and out of a coffee straw to simulate what one would feel like. i politely told them that i already know the feeling and don't need to re-live my panic! from that day on I certainly haven't gotten rid of my attacks but i've learned to identify the symptoms before they form into a full fledged attack. If i feel like i'm being pushed to my limits, i simply listen to my body. If I'm at work and I feel panic I allow myself to sit down and take a breather. if i'm working out and i'm pushing myself to hard, i slow down or call it a day. I'm not saying to give up when you feel one coming on, because eventually you have to learn to adapt and deal with them. What I am saying is to simply identify your symptoms before they get big. Once you have learned the way you react to situations you can alter the way you handle a situation so that you don't panic. My big helper is music, whether it be listening to the sound of rain at work to keep calm or whether it's hip hop music at the gym. Also reminding myself that the gym isn't going to kill me. A lot of times I have the fear that i'm going to die. I keep telling myself that five more minutes of running is good for me, that it's not out to hurt me. this mentally helps me realize that i'm not dying and that i will be okay. Find what works for you and stick to it, you will eventually get to the point where ( yes you'll still have that uneasy feeling at times) you can live a normal life without the fear of panic attacks. It will probably never leave us alone ( it hasn't for me) but we can sure take control of the situation and not allow it to take control of us. I have come to find that exercise helps with my anxiety, where this time last year working out sent me into panic mode. Now i'f i'm upset and anxious I want to work out, it give me an outlet to get all my axiety and frustrations out. so, good luck to you and your journey I know you can make it through!

p.s. If you want to be friends let me know, I wouldn't mind having a friend on here who does understand my struggles.
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I don't really go through this, however I do work in an ER and I see almost daily how CRIPPLING a panic attack is! It doesn't matter if the person is even aware that it's "only a panic attack," it's still miserable to deal with.

My only advice is that if being at the gym is always a trigger for you, perhaps you could take your medication (I'm assuming you have Ativan or something?) BEFORE you start working out. Like a preventative measure.

<3 take care
  • meg7399
    meg7399 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I would suggest meds. I have general anxiety and depression and my panic attacks were bad before I started meds. It took a few years to find meds that help, but now I am feeling pretty awesome. Do you currently take meds?
  • WILSONBA
    Options
    I don't really go through this, however I do work in an ER and I see almost daily how CRIPPLING a panic attack is! It doesn't matter if the person is even aware that it's "only a panic attack," it's still miserable to deal with.

My only advice is that if being at the gym is always a trigger for you, perhaps you could take your medication (I'm assuming you have Ativan or something?) BEFORE you start working out. Like a preventative measure.

<3 take care

where meds can be helpful please be aware that not everyone has to take meds for this. I struggle with this but i always take control of them and don't need to use meds, i live a full healthy lifestyle because i stop the attack before it turns into one. know the symptoms and you can control the outcome.
  • denise032
    denise032 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I've also learned to id the signs before it comes on as a full fledged attack. Once I get that feeling, I remind myself that it'll go away as it has every time I've had one in the past. I usually just take a breath, stay calm and refocus on what I'm doing (work, exercise, etc). Sometimes it takes a few minutes, but I always come out of it. It sounds easier said than done, but it does work for me. Maybe it'll work for you too. Good luck. :)

PS- I'm not on meds either.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I can really sympathise with you. You perhaps need to have a think about what the trigger is - is it the gym or something else going on in your head? Does going to the gym seem like a big challenge or does the environment make you feel uncomfortable in some way. For me, panic attacks are often triggered when I go to shopping centres. It's not shopping that I have a problem with but big crowds so it's a bit agoraphobia-related and I also hate being hemmed in a place with no easy escape route (well, my daft head telling me there is no escape route).

At the gym I tend to head for a quiet corner as I feel less self-conscious and this really helps with any panicky feelings. It also helps to suss out the quiet times of the day to visit (ask the staff) or find a gym with a separate women's section, which is usually quieter. I'm also hoping that as I get fitter I can head into the centre of the gym to show off my new fitness! Again, self-consciousness plays a big part in panic attacks for me. You just have to remember that most people are so into their workout that they are really not that aware of the people around them - especially here in the UK where we just keep our eyes straight ahead in such a polite way while working out so that people don't think we are staring at them!

I also find that getting dehydrated or over-warm can set me off, so I drink tonnes of water and head to the changing rooms to run my hands under cold water whenever I need to.

The gym should be a place you can go and work out all the tension of the day and destress, so perhaps getting yourself into that mindset would also help. Or perhaps see if your gym has a boxing-style workout class so you can really get rid of some of that panic and stress!
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options

where meds can be helpful please be aware that not everyone has to take meds for this. I struggle with this but i always take control of them and don't need to use meds, i live a full healthy lifestyle because i stop the attack before it turns into one. know the symptoms and you can control the outcome.

Of course. Some people are more in control... but I am also assuming here that if she is asking for help, she is not yet in control. If she could shut it off, so to speak, she wouldn't be asking. I'm not saying everyone needs a pill! Sorry if I came off offensively.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    meditation works absolute wonders to help cure anxiety / panic attacks. I used to suffer from serious anxiety with the occasional attack and after 3 years of learning to accept things as they are (as opposed to trying to control them to how I want) I have been able to have a far more relaxed disposition and a generally more optimistic life.

agreed with the other posters about learning IDs and staying calm during the episode.
  • WILSONBA
    Options

Of course. Some people are more in control... but I am also assuming here that if she is asking for help, she is not yet in control. If she could shut it off, so to speak, she wouldn't be asking. I'm not saying everyone needs a pill! Sorry if I came off offensively.

I was not offended, I was just making sure people knew that meds aren't always the answer. I do agree that meds can be a great help, they just aren't for everyone.
  • cameralinds
    cameralinds Posts: 239
    Options
    I've read through the comments and am going to give my opinion / state what has not been mentioned to avoid repetitiveness...

I think exercise causes similar physiological symptoms that a panic attack causes: increased heart rate, sweating, shortness of breath. I think it's deciphering the difference between the two. Typically people with Panic Disorder are afraid that doing certain activities that trigger the same physiological response because it MAY trigger an actual panic attack. Do you think that may be the problem?

CBT - Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, is a great non-med treatment for Panic Disorder. It's kind of like, slow exposure therapy over an extended period of time. So what that MIGHT look like is spinning around in a chair and breathing through a straw (I think someone mentioned it before), BUT the point in that is to show you that just because you experience the symptoms, doesn't mean a panic attack has to result.... anyway, Try looking into it if you can! It works wonders! (First hand experience with CBT for something else).
  • Bohohippy
    Bohohippy Posts: 56
    Options
    A panic attack is your bodys flight or fight instinct coming into play when it isn't need.
    I get them when i feel trapped, trains, long bus journeys, sometimes in cars if we're in traffic ON a motorway.
    I get them when something changes, e.g my boyfriend takes me to work on Sundays, usually I catch a bus and walk part of it, I'm used to this so I panic on Sundays even though it's more convient! lol

When it became unbareable, I went to my doctor and she referred me to Emotional Wellbeing which is a private part NHS counselling service, that teaches you how to deal with multiply of things. You have a one on one counselling session, it's a little different to counselling as she can ask you to do things which a normal Counsellor isn't allowed to do (I'm a trained counsellor, the type that doesn't give advice or ask you to do things). They'll deal with the inner parts fo you, perhaps to find roots, to practise meditation and deep breathing, and cognitive therapy.

My irrational thoughts, panic attacks and anxiety went by the time I left the courses.
    I get them very rarely now, I either have to be upset, stressed or unwell to experience them.

Breathing in for the count of 4, and out for 6, slowly, closing eyes, imaging somewhere safe, carrying water you can sip can all help. Do not avoid it though as it'll always get worse. Work out when it happens, certain machine, time, certain amount of people in... you'l find what triggers it <3
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options
    I used to suffer with panic attacks and was prescribed anti depressants. After 3 years I found out what caused them for me and stopped the meds and have not had one since. Except when I had a tooth pulled at the dentist. They told me that the injections contained arenalin so I know it was the cause of it.

It was as simple as caffeine. So I avoid it like the plague (it is hidden in a lot of energy drinks and also some pain killers)

It could be the increased adrenalin while you are working out that starts it off for you? Or maybe you are drinking energy drinks?

Just my 2 cents!
  • WILSONBA
    Options
    I've read through the comments and am going to give my opinion / state what has not been mentioned to avoid repetitiveness...

I think exercise causes similar physiological symptoms that a panic attack causes: increased heart rate, sweating, shortness of breath. I think it's deciphering the difference between the two. Typically people with Panic Disorder are afraid that doing certain activities that trigger the same physiological response because it MAY trigger an actual panic attack. Do you think that may be the problem?

CBT - Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, is a great non-med treatment for Panic Disorder. It's kind of like, slow exposure therapy over an extended period of time. So what that MIGHT look like is spinning around in a chair and breathing through a straw (I think someone mentioned it before), BUT the point in that is to show you that just because you experience the symptoms, doesn't mean a panic attack has to result.... anyway, Try looking into it if you can! It works wonders! (First hand experience with CBT for something else).

I can respect this idea and although not for everyone( just like all of our advice) this may work for her. I really hope she finds the right tool to feel better, whether it's meds CBT or knowing symptoms and catching them before turning into a panic.
  • ki4yxo
    ki4yxo Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I suffer from anxiety and panic attacks and i have done since i was 16 and each one is just as scary as the first one i ever had but it's something i am slowly learning to deal with and trying different ways to cope with them.

The problem that i have is that i sometimes get them when i am exercising at the gym.

Does anyone else have this problem? if so, how do you deal with them?

In the last 6 months I've had two panic attacks while
    on the treadmill. Last night was the last one, and I
    came close to blacking out. I had the whole tightness
    of chest, couldn't breathe thing going on, so I took a
    xanax, sat down and took off my shoes. With in about
    10 minutes all was back to normal. Both times I felt
    like passing out before the xanax kicked in. Once the
    xanax kicks in I feel completely normal.

I'm waiting to hear back from my doctor today.
  • ki4yxo
    Options
    My doctor ended up taking me off my high blood
    pressure medication. Did an EKG to to be safe.
    I've been having really bad panic attacks the last
    6 days. (had them while on the B/P medication)
    Went back to see the doctor today, and she did another
    EKG. Same result everything looks great.

Went back on the treadmill tonight, and it started to
    hit me again. This time I turned down the earbuds,
    focused more on the TV and breathing. I basically
    did my "cool down" walk for an hour at 3.5 MPH.
    BPM were around 115. Normal work out I'm in the 140's.
    Got dizzy driving back, and started getting the tightness
    of the chest when I got home. All this after working out! :noway:

I really need to find out what's triggering this!!!! :explode:
  • maryhm1
    maryhm1 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I was having the same problem- panic attacks during or just after exercise. I did a little internet research and found that aspartame seems to trigger them in some people. At that point, I was drinking about 4 diet sodas a day. I quit cold turkey over 3 months ago and haven't had a panic attack since!
  • ki4yxo
    Options
    I was having the same problem- panic attacks during or just after exercise. I did a little internet research and found that aspartame seems to trigger them in some people. At that point, I was drinking about 4 diet sodas a day. I quit cold turkey over 3 months ago and haven't had a panic attack since!

Glad to hear someone out there beat this!
    I drink water all day, rarely have any Coke.
  • ki4yxo
    Options
    I've been able to keep these at bay with the
    help of medication, and or alcohol. Been
    less frequent since Friday, and not as severe.
    I was on the verge of going to the ER.........
  • ki4yxo
    Options
    Going to see a cardiologist on the 12th. My doctor
    wants to be sure...... :brokenheart:
  • OliesMommy0109
    Options
    I have anxiety too and I get them while working out too because of my increased heart rate. Here are some things I take for anxiety that are all natural and work almost immediately. Lemon Balm, Lavender, Passiflora, and St John’s Wort. I find that St. John's Wort works best for me but everyone is different. I would try these because unlike Xanax or other anti-anxiety medication, they don't make me tired or sluggish. Hope this helps.