How much fat to eat?

Options
Hey all!

I know that there is "good" fat and I am starting to eat more low carb so I am wondering how much fat is okay for me to eat? I am lowering my carbs to less than 100g a day, and my protein is about 60g. Should my fat be about 60g as well? I am wondering if I am eating good fats, if it is really important for me to worry too much about my fat intake?

My stats: 5'2, 105 lbs, female.

Thanks!

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Hey all!

I know that there is "good" fat and I am starting to eat more low carb so I am wondering how much fat is okay for me to eat? I am lowering my carbs to less than 100g a day, and my protein is about 60g. Should my fat be about 60g as well? I am wondering if I am eating good fats, if it is really important for me to worry too much about my fat intake?

My stats: 5'2, 105 lbs, female.

Thanks!

What is your goal? your stats would indicate you are pretty lean already.
  • spazgirl123
    Options
    My goal is to tone up- I'm not really looking to lose any weight :)
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    My goal is to tone up- I'm not really looking to lose any weight :)

By tone do you mean adding some muscle? Low carb prob isn't the greatest in that regards.
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Your protein sounds low. Eat at least 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass. Shoot for about 20% fats, and fill the rest in with carbs. If you're looking to be stronger, more muscular, lift heavy.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Assuming a TDEE of ~1500 (not including exercise), a decent starting point would be:
    ~90 grams protein
    ~40 grams fat

These are minimums, going over is ok as long as you stay at or near your daily calorie target. That's 720 calories worth, leaving you ~780 calories to do with as you will. You could pretty easily go over 100 grams carbs with this, particularly if you exercise a lot.

If you're looking to add muscle mass, as Acg mentioned, low carb makes that pretty difficult.

Either way, good luck!
  • jldunn713
    jldunn713 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Well the minimum amount of carbs needed per day to maintain BRAIN FUNCTION is 150g so I highly would suggest eating at least that much and more if you are working out! Since ideal body weight for a 5'2" female is 110, you are smart to keep all the weight you have and building some muscle would be great. Protein goals really only need to be around 56-60 g for someone of your size to do this. As for fat, which is what you actually asked about, 20% is probably a good goal. For example, for a 1500 cal diet that's about 33g of fats. Best sources are whole nuts and avocado, with small amounts of oil. I'm really into sports nutrition, Hope this helps!
  • spazgirl123
    Options
    Thank you all! you have helped so much! I will up my carbs to 120, but just eat healthy carbs like fruit and veggies :)
  • jeportales
    jeportales Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'd say for you, 20-25% of your daily recc for calorie intake should be from fats. Fats are 9 kcal per gram.
    And the "bad fat" that you should try to stay away from would be the Trans fats.