Runner's Diet?

Options
Gogo
Gogo Posts: 9,942 Member
Ok all you runners out there. I have recently become addicted to running and was researching what I should be eating. I came across "The Runner's Diet" at www.runnersworld.com. It says that macronutrient ratios for carbs/protein/fats should be 50/25/25. Do you follow these guidelines? Since I am just a recreational runner right now, it said I didn't need 60% carbs like serious runners. Have you found success with weight loss on your diet program? What do you do differently? I have been running approx. 2.5 miles every other day or so and following MFP guidelines, but have only lost 4 lbs in 3 mos. It is beginning to frustrate me and I am wondering if I need to change how I am eating.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Replies

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Not solely a runner, but 50/25/25 has worked just fine for me. I lost 56lbs in 5 months. I average 3,500-5,000 calories a week doing aerobic exercise + 2 strength training workouts. If I go below 50% carbs, I have no energy to sustain my workouts. I average now probably about 2500-3000 Cal per day.
  • nicholedunn
    nicholedunn Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing this website! I am starting to become very interested in running more. I like cardio but my friend just did a 5k and really liked it. I figure it would be fun to prepare for and then set a goal as well.
    Thanks! Hope you get some good feedback as well! :smile:
  • nicolee516
    nicolee516 Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I read the book the Runnder's diet. I actually am doing 40-30-30. I haven't upped it to the 50-25-25 yet. I have lost weight so far on it though. I might switch to the higher carbs, now that my runs are getting longer.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I find that I need more protein even though I'm an endurance athlete. I was reading in Triathlete's magazine that everyone is different and you need to find out what your metabolic type is. Mine, according to this site: http://www.naturalhealthyellowpages.com/metabolic/self_test.html, is Protein profile.
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Yep, that is about what I eat. I set mine at 50/25/25 here which works well for me. I am a runner/ triathlete/ and I lift weights. Some days I eat more carb, sometimes more protein. Depends on what workouts I'm doing and how I'm feeling. :bigsmile: