Green Coffee Bean for weight loss...

Options
This is a new Dr. Oz recommendation. I've looked at the studies, which look good. All of the reviews I've read are good. There are no side effects. So, I bought some to supplement my eating/exercise plan to see how it works for me.

Have any of you tried it?

Replies

• jeportales
    jeportales Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I havent tried it. I do work at GNC though and we have been selling out of the Green Coffee Bean very quickly.
    Along with that, Raspberry Ketones have been selling also, its another more natural diet supplement with little to no side effects.
  • Nailrep
    Nailrep Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I havent tried it. I do work at GNC though and we have been selling out of the Green Coffee Bean very quickly.
    Along with that, Raspberry Ketones have been selling also, its another more natural diet supplement with little to no side effects.
    I've heard about the Rasberry Ketones too. But I was really impressed with the studies on the green coffee beans. I'm not one for the latest diet craze. But for some reason, I feel like this might help me alittle!
  • Maraleen_M
    Maraleen_M Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    http://www.doctoroz.com/blog/lindsey-duncan-nd-cn/green-coffee-bean-burns-fat-fast

I saw (and read) the information as well. It seems very positive.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I've heard about the Rasberry Ketones too. But I was really impressed with the studies on the green coffee beans. I'm not one for the latest diet craze. But for some reason, I feel like this might help me alittle!

Are you referring to this one?

Randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, linear dose, crossover study to evaluate the efficacy and safety of a green coffee bean extract in overweight subjects. Diabetes Metab Syndr Obes. 2012; 5: 21–27.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3267522/

One of the theories is that it works due it's high chlorogenic acid content, but

Dark roast coffee is more effective than light roast coffee in reducing body weight, and in restoring red blood cell vitamin E and glutathione concentrations in healthy volunteers. Mol Nutr Food Res. 2011 Aug 2. doi: 10.1002/mnfr.201100248

Abstract
    Recent results from prospective cohort studies have shown that moderate coffee consumption is associated with a reduced risk for diabetes mellitus type II or Alzheimer's disease. Since reactive oxygen species (ROS) are believed to be involved in the pathogenesis of these diseases, antioxidants in coffee might contribute to this risk reduction. We aimed at elucidating whether a dark roast coffee beverage (CB) rich in N-methylpyridinium ions (NMP: 785 μmol/L) and low in chlorogenic acids (CGA: 523 μmol/L) has stronger antioxidant effects on human erythrocytes than a CB prepared from a light roast with opposite proportions (CGA: 4538 μmol/L; NMP: 56 μmol/L). Following a 2-wk wash out period, 500 mL of the respective CB was administered to 30 subjects daily for 4-wk. Blood and spot urine samples were collected at the beginning and at the end of each intervention. Intake of the dark roast CB most effectively improved the antioxidant status of erythrocytes: superoxide dismutase and glutathione peroxidase activity decreased by 5.8 and 15%, respectively, whereas tocopherol and total glutathione concentrations increased by 41 and 14%, respectively. Furthermore, administration of the NMP-rich CB led to a significant body weight reduction in pre-obese subjects, whereas the CGA-rich CB did not.
  • Nailrep
    Options

Randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, linear dose, crossover study to evaluate the efficacy and safety of a green coffee bean extract in overweight subjects. Diabetes Metab Syndr Obes. 2012; 5: 21–27.

One of the theories is that it works due it's high chlorogenic acid content, but

Dark roast coffee is more effective than light roast coffee in reducing body weight, and in restoring red blood cell vitamin E and glutathione concentrations in healthy volunteers. Mol Nutr Food Res. 2011 Aug 2. doi: 10.1002/mnfr.201100248

Abstract
    Recent results from prospective cohort studies have shown that moderate coffee consumption is associated with a reduced risk for diabetes mellitus type II or Alzheimer's disease. Since reactive oxygen species (ROS) are believed to be involved in the pathogenesis of these diseases, antioxidants in coffee might contribute to this risk reduction. We aimed at elucidating whether a dark roast coffee beverage (CB) rich in N-methylpyridinium ions (NMP: 785 μmol/L) and low in chlorogenic acids (CGA: 523 μmol/L) has stronger antioxidant effects on human erythrocytes than a CB prepared from a light roast with opposite proportions (CGA: 4538 μmol/L; NMP: 56 μmol/L). Following a 2-wk wash out period, 500 mL of the respective CB was administered to 30 subjects daily for 4-wk. Blood and spot urine samples were collected at the beginning and at the end of each intervention. Intake of the dark roast CB most effectively improved the antioxidant status of erythrocytes: superoxide dismutase and glutathione peroxidase activity decreased by 5.8 and 15%, respectively, whereas tocopherol and total glutathione concentrations increased by 41 and 14%, respectively. Furthermore, administration of the NMP-rich CB led to a significant body weight reduction in pre-obese subjects, whereas the CGA-rich CB did not.

The stuff I'm reading says the the green coffee bean is what makes it more effective than a roasted bean.
  • Nailrep
    Options
    http://www.doctoroz.com/blog/lindsey-duncan-nd-cn/green-coffee-bean-burns-fat-fast

I saw (and read) the information as well. It seems very positive.

Yep - this is it. I received it today, so we will see!
  • Acg67
    Options

Abstract

The stuff I'm reading says the the green coffee bean is what makes it more effective than a roasted bean.

The first link I had was the full study that is mentioned in the Dr Oz newsletter, read through the methodology of the study.
  • Nailrep
    Options

Abstract

The first link I had was the full study that is mentioned in the Dr Oz newsletter, read through the methodology of the study.

Got it!! Thanks alot!! So what's your opinion?
  • Acg67
    Options

Abstract

Most likely they won't do much at all. If they are cheap and you want to try them out you could, but I'd prob save my money.
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    This article takes a critical look at the study cited by Dr. Oz.

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/index.php/dr-oz-and-green-coffee-beans-more-weight-loss-pseudoscience/

Unfortunately, Dr. Oz seems like a bit of a shill to me. But I guess the same old health/fitness tips that have been around for years don't make for great TV.
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    why waste $$ on it. There is no quick fix. But I guess if Dr Oz says its great, then gee it must be. I wonder what else he has to sell/promote in his bag of tricks?
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Since so many women seem to take every word Dr. Oz says as gospel, it's too bad he won't just advocate what really works - reasonable eating at a deficit and exercising regularly. Only problem is that the supplement companies wouldn't fill his wallet for telling the truth instead of hawking their snake oils. There's no "magic pill", no substitute for dedication and hard work.
  • Nailrep
    Options

Abstract

Most likely they won't do much at all. If they are cheap and you want to try them out you could, but I'd prob save my money.

Ok, thanks. I think I need to look into something that will make my workouts more effective. But I already bought the pills, so I'm curious to see what happens. Thanks for your input!! :)
  • Nailrep
    Options
    Since so many women seem to take every word Dr. Oz says as gospel, it's too bad he won't just advocate what really works - reasonable eating at a deficit and exercising regularly. Only problem is that the supplement companies wouldn't fill his wallet for telling the truth instead of hawking their snake oils. There's no "magic pill", no substitute for dedication and hard work.

I don't take anything anybody says as gospel. I've been at the diet and fitness thing for a long time, so I know there isn't a magic pill. But it would be nice to know there is a supplement out there that would boost my weight loss efforts. It's not like I am trying to get out easy. I work out, eat right, etc. My weight loss is slow because (I think) of hormonal issues. I get so frustrated.
  • Nailrep
    Options
    why waste $$ on it. There is no quick fix. But I guess if Dr Oz says its great, then gee it must be. I wonder what else he has to sell/promote in his bag of tricks?

Thanks for the reply.