Suggestions, please?

Options
I'm nursing shin splints after completing my first race... so trying to take it easy on my legs while they heal. I'm looking for creative alternatives to walking/running that will help me burn calories. I do strength training, but what else have ya got?

Thanks!

Replies

• rychma
    rychma Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Swimming!
  • msep99
    msep99 Posts: 9
    Options
    swimming, or biking. Plus take some potassium pills and massage your shins then do ice for 20 then heat for 20.
  • feast4thebeast
    feast4thebeast Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Swimming!

Swimming is a good idea but I would also chuck some upper body tabatta type training into the mix. Thrusters would be a good one for you
  • Less0Beth
    Less0Beth Posts: 16
    Options
    First off, how was your first race. Second, how about just doing some stretching and light aerobics. Slow step aerobics would work well, as would some modified yoga. Just keep gently stretching and working the legs. Congratulations on your first race.
  • redrover
    redrover Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    You can do all sorts of exercises with a medicine ball that are not just strength training but provide excellent cardio. Try some overhead slams on the ground or against a wall for starters. It's a great workout for your core!
  • HeatherClement
    HeatherClement Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of half that... I'll have to youtube it. LOL

Race was ok... finished with a 16.36 pace, which is pretty good for me. Looking forward to getting back to running so I can start training to run a 5k in September.