Protein Shakes?

Options
jynxxxed
jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
I'm very new to dieting/exercising and I am still trying to figure out ways to be healthy as well as lose weight. I have heard a lot of different things about drinking protein shakes and the most popular thing I hear is that they're only for bodybuilders/people who lift a lot. But then I see people like myself drinking them as well on occasion.

I am someone who works out at home, runs on the treadmill.. I don't lift or anything like that. I'm only working out around 30 minutes every day. Would drinking protein shakes be a good thing for me to start doing? I am already eating egg whites/lots of fish and such to gain some protein every day so I'm not sure if it would help or hurt me in the long run!

Any feed back is MUCH appreciated!

Replies

• leodru
    leodru Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with eating good proteins. Whey is a great source of protein. Protein takes longer to digest so it holds you over longer. Have a shake - no harm in it. The fruit in it is great for you too. Weight loss isnt a complete science (hence the reason why there are more "diet" businesses raking in billions but yet still more obese people around. Your concern should be more about eating too many simple white carbs. High fibre, higher protein and you'll be good. Good luck!
  • schneidersas
    Options
    I do strength training and used to believe I have to go with protein shakes and/or whey ..... I stopped believing this stuff ..
    Good proteins are in eggs, fish, ham, chicken .... so no need for extra shakes ... but if you like them .. ;)
  • jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    If you are meeting your protein goals with whole foods, there is no need to add protein shakes.
  • jynxxxed
    Options
    Awesome, thank you guys! I've been trying to make sure I'm getting my protein in with food instead, so it seemed a little silly to add additional supplements!
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    Lifting weights increases your metabolism, you really should look into incorporating it into your fitness routine. You can get free weights to use at home and do a Jillian Michaels video.
  • soulynyc
    soulynyc Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    i'm starting to see that i can meet all my protein goals without shakes. but i love the protein shakes and it's a nice way to add something to your fruit shakes or your snack.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I'm adding muscle by lifting to increase my metabolism and help prevent muscle loss since I'm turning 40 soon. I'm not drinking a protein shake, per se, since I'm allergic to whey protein and soy protein is no good for you. But the shake I drink has 16g of protein and many other health benefits, as well...such as increased energy and stamina and is from all whole food sources with no artificial flavoring or crap. I sent you a message :)
  • jynxxxed
    Options
    Anna800, funny you said that.. I've been doing the 30 day shred. :P
    I like it a lot!
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    WASTE OF MONEY!!!
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Anyone can drink protein shakes, it's just protein like chicken is just protein. It's not going to magically transform you into a body builder or the hulk. I drink them regularily and I am still alive, lol.
    They aren't necessary if you can fit in your protein requirements, but they are totally convenient and you might end up liking them.
  • SirBacke
    SirBacke Posts: 4
    Options
    HI
    The body is limited in uptaking proteins. Normally everybody gets more than enough Proteins from daily food. Especially you, since you also eat eggs and other protein rich food. Adding Protein drinks would be a waste of money and proteins, since your body won't be able to take them up. Besides this, Protein shakes do have a lot of calories.
    A protein shake I would recommend only to people who make a crash diet, since they mainly loose muscles, instead of fat.
  • Feed_the_Bears
    Feed_the_Bears Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes are just a quick and yummy way to get more protein in your diet without adding extra fat. They are not good or bad by themselves. They are pretty neccessary for people trying to grow muscle with intense strength training just because a person can only cook so many meals in a day. But for poeple not doing heavy lifting, they're just another source of protein, take it or leave it.

However, for the average joe they can still be a handy healthy snack. While you can eat what ever source of protein you like, this particular source is very convenienct. You can carry it in your bag or keep in your desk drawer, you can make quick shakes in the blender instead of heating up the frying pan. If you want to add protein withouthaving to cook anything dairy is a good choice.
  • TiredandReadyForLoss
    TiredandReadyForLoss Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Lifting weights increases your metabolism, you really should look into incorporating it into your fitness routine. You can get free weights to use at home and do a Jillian Michaels video.

TOTALLY AGREE! :))
  • Feed_the_Bears
    Feed_the_Bears Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I wish this were true that "most poeple get enough protein from their daily diet". I read so many women's diaries and they do not get nearly enough protein. They eat like 15g a day and it's attrocious.

But yeah, apparently the body can only synthesize 30 g of protein per meal, but the average shake has no more than 24 g.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    But yeah, apparently the body can only synthesize 30 g of protein per meal, but the average shake has no more than 24 g.

This is a myth.
  • karla0223
    karla0223 Posts: 1
    Options
    Protein shakes are not only for body-builders, they can also be great for people who want to replace meals or for those who cannot get the protein elsewhere. I would recommend trying Herbalife protein with their meal replacement, Formula 1. It not only taste great, but has added vitamins and boost metabolism. I mix the meal replacement and protein with fruit and juice or milk as a replacement for breakfast and I love it. I especially appreciate protein shakes because as a vegetarian, I try to find different ways to have my daily intake of protein. You should find something that is natural, fat free, and is packed with vitamins. If you find something that taste good, make sure it little to no sugar.
  • tinko1
    tinko1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I love protein shakes! I buy the Super Advanced Whey Protein from Walmart ($15/tub) in vanilla.

I usually mix 1 scoop (140 cals) with 1/2 cup of unsweetened almond milk and a half cup of raw raspberries in a blender. I also have been adding 2 cups of baby spinach to my smoothies to get more vegetable intake.

For the shake (about 12 oz) it's about 250 cals. I usually eat every 2.5 to 3 hours - all protein, and as low carb as possible.

I will snack on raw almonds, cheese, hardboiled egg whites, veggies with hummus, etc.

I have been doing high protein/low carb for about 6 weeks and have lost about 7 pounds. I do strength conditioning 3 x week and cardio 5 x week.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    HI
    The body is limited in uptaking proteins. Normally everybody gets more than enough Proteins from daily food. Especially you, since you also eat eggs and other protein rich food. Adding Protein drinks would be a waste of money and proteins, since your body won't be able to take them up. Besides this, Protein shakes do have a lot of calories.
    A protein shake I would recommend only to people who make a crash diet, since they mainly loose muscles, instead of fat.

Just............no.
  • ali_b83
    ali_b83 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    If you aren't lifting, you're probably just fine. They're great for convenience though, if you aren't always home and able to eat your protein.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    WASTE OF MONEY!!!

This comment appears on every single protein shake related thread.

You are conveniently ingoring the fact that whey protein is actually, per gram, by FAR the cheapest source of protein you can buy.

Also it has a better amino acid profile than nearly every wholefood protein, better bioavailability, comes without the fat associated with protein sources such as red meat and eggs, and being a milk derivative actually has a good micronutrient profile (which takes care of the 'lol it's a processed food it has no vitamins and minerals' crowd).

For anyone who has a relatively high protein diet and/or lifts weights,, there realty aren't any reasons why you shouldn't include at least some whey.