Need help with calorie goals

Options
I'm confused about what my calorie goal should be. I have a HRM so I have been tracking how many NET calories I have been burning. I average about 300 calories 6 days a week.

Age 27
Weight 162
Height 5'5
BMR 1530
Sedentary TDEE 1839

I want to set my goal to lose about 1 lb per week.
1. TDEE Moderate Exercise TDEE is 2375-500= 1,875 daily goal
2. Based on HRM = 1839+ (300*6/7)= 2,096-500=1,596 daily goal

I'm getting two different results. PS if it helps I'm doing insanity program so I would love to hear what other people are eating that are similar height as me.

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I'm confused about what my calorie goal should be. I have a HRM so I have been tracking how many NET calories I have been burning. I average about 300 calories 6 days a week.

Age 27
    Weight 162
    Height 5'5
    BMR 1530
    Sedentary TDEE 1839

I want to set my goal to lose about 1 lb per week.
    1. TDEE Moderate Exercise TDEE is 2375-500= 1,875 daily goal
    2. Based on HRM = 1839+ (300*6/7)= 2,096-500=1,596 daily goal

I'm getting two different results. PS if it helps I'm doing insanity program so I would love to hear what other people are eating that are similar height as me.
    I can tell you with insanity, you need more than 1600 calories. You are better off with the moderate exercise approach and NOT eat back calories as your body will be supplied ample calories while it's repairing. So eat 1900 calories a day.
  • onikonor
    onikonor Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I can tell you with insanity, you need more than 1600 calories. You are better off with the moderate exercise approach and NOT eat back calories as your body will be supplied ample calories while it's repairing. So eat 1900 calories a day.

I haven't lost any weight in the 3 weeks but I haven't been hungry either eating 1500-1700 (most days I did have a few bad days lol). I don't wanna risk gaining fat by upping my goals too high.
  • mommyhof3
    mommyhof3 Posts: 551 Member
    Options

I haven't lost any weight in the 3 weeks but I haven't been hungry either eating 1500-1700 (most days I did have a few bad days lol). I don't wanna risk gaining fat by upping my goals too high.

I was in the same boat. I am doing P90x and I was eating 1500 - 1600 a day. I finally joined the Eat More 2 Weigh Less group and I upped my calories. I now eat between 1900 - 2100 a day which is TDEE - 15% calorie reduction plus my exercise calories that I get from using my Polar FT4. Since doing this I am dropping almost 2lbs a week. Don't be scared to eat more. You may gain a little at the beginning but it is working for me
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options

Add the calories mostly in protein. If you're doing Insanity and eating extra calories mostly in protein, I assure you that very little of any weight you put on will be fat, even if you do put on weight.

Throw a little heavy lifting in the regimen and you can pretty much guarantee that. :)
  • onikonor
    Options
    I was in the same boat. I am doing P90x and I was eating 1500 - 1600 a day. I finally joined the Eat More 2 Weigh Less group and I upped my calories. I now eat between 1900 - 2100 a day which is TDEE - 15% calorie reduction plus my exercise calories that I get from using my Polar FT4. Since doing this I am dropping almost 2lbs a week. Don't be scared to eat more. You may gain a little at the beginning but it is working for me

I'm a little confused here. Do you eat 1900-2100 in total? Or do you eat 1900-2100 + workout calories?
    I wonder if this is why I have been stuck and not seeing weight coming off. I still have a good 10-15 lb of fat to lose.
  • cbart2818
    cbart2818 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Your stats are similar, I am just a little taller. Your BMR and TDEE at sedetary is pretty much exact to mine. Mine is 1539 & 1847, my TDEE with moderate exercise is 2385. Minus 500 puts me back around 1885.

1596 on the days you workout would be way to low. IMO.

So I set customs goal in MFP. I set my daily goal to my BMR. I like to log my cals burned and eat them. On days I do Insanity or other activies and burn say 350, my daily goal will bump up to 1889 and that is the new number I eat. Close to the minus 500cals. So far it works for me, and I don't feel like I am starving myself after my workout, but this will be trial and error.

If I am starving, I will eat more. These numbers are estimates that the program provides. Just make sure you are eating enough, so if it give you around 1875 from the book calculation, I would eat at least that on your workout days if not a little more depending on how you feel.

I also set my macro's to the insanity program 40-40-20. So far, I feel great and it makes sure I am getting enough protein.

On the days I do not workout (Sunday) my goal will be back down to 1539. I will probably eat a little above, but never lower than this number.

Just remember, you may not see the scale move at all, but you should see your measurement going down from the inches melting away.
  • onikonor
    Options

Add the calories mostly in protein. If you're doing Insanity and eating extra calories mostly in protein, I assure you that very little of any weight you put on will be fat, even if you do put on weight.

Throw a little heavy lifting in the regimen and you can pretty much guarantee that. :)

I would love to start weight training too. I need to do some more research and review videos online of how to do them. I've got a bench + some dumbbells at home.
  • cbart2818
    Options

I'm a little confused here. Do you eat 1900-2100 in total? Or do you eat 1900-2100 + workout calories?
    I wonder if this is why I have been stuck and not seeing weight coming off. I still have a good 10-15 lb of fat to lose.

If you daily goal is already set to 1900 or 2100 and you log your exerciise calories afterwards. Do not eat back those calories. The 1900-2100 already account for the calories burned.

I like it the other way around. I set my goal to my BMR, so when I log my exercise cals, I get to eat them. Just my way of doing it and it still brings me up to where I should be eating so far. If I find I am starving, I will adjust my BMR number.
  • onikonor
    Options
    @cbart2818 I may have to try this since what I'm doing is not working right now. My macros are also 40c/40p/20f. I do think I have lost some inches but maybe upping calories will help.
  • psuLemon
    Options

So to lose a lb of fat, you would need to cut 3500 calories a week. So to gain a lb of fat, you would need to ingest 3500 calories more in a week than you burn. So if your TDEE is 2400 calories, that would mean you would need to average 2900 calories a day to gain a lb of fat.

I did 90 days of eating at 1800 calories (5'11, 205 lb, 18% bf guy) and did p90x. After 90 days, I didn't lose an inch, lb or % of body fat. I upped it to 2600 calories, did CLX and lose 6", 3% body fat and 11 lbs.

But seriously, just eat 1900 calories total (even on non workout days). These programs include exercise as part of your TDEE. So if you wan to results, follow the program.
  • onikonor
    Options
    I'm going to give upping calories a try.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I'm going to give upping calories a try.

Make sure it's a month as your body needs time to adjust.
  • aweigh2go
    aweigh2go Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I'm also doing INSANITY. I used the "SEDENTARY" activity level on MFP, assumed a 2 lb. per week loss, and came up with 1,650 calories per day. I also utilized the Katch-McKardle formula for determining calories based on your bodyfat and it came pretty close to the MFP number.

I burn about 5-700 calories doing INSANITY so that takes me up to 2,150 - 2,350 calories. While I haven't seen the scale drop, I have noticed using a little less of the tape measure being used. I've heard from several people also that don't see the scale drop but notice pants fitting looser.
  • cbart2818
    Options
    @cbart2818 I may have to try this since what I'm doing is not working right now. My macros are also 40c/40p/20f. I do think I have lost some inches but maybe upping calories will help.

Its worth a shot, just don't eat less than the number the program gives you for a 500cal deficit. If after a few weeks nothing changes, up it. Watch your measurement and you should see change. If are doing more than insanity, you will probably need to eat even more. If I jog and do insanity in the same day I total roughly 700cals burned. Once I log it, I have to eat 2200.

I do most of workouts after work, so I try to eat enough during the day so I don't have to cram my face from Dinner on. LOL. If I can hit 1100-1200 cals before leaving work, I am usually pretty set for the evening. This doesn't always work out, but I try.

I plan on measuring in at each Fit Test. I will still weigh in, but I don't expect much, I would expect at least a 1/4 of an inch lost somewhere. LOL. Perferably not from the ladies, but who knows. The body will burn where ever it wants.

Just be patient, it will come off eventually!!
  • cbart2818
    Options
    I'm also doing INSANITY. I used the "SEDENTARY" activity level on MFP, assumed a 2 lb. per week loss, and came up with 1,650 calories per day. I also utilized the Katch-McKardle formula for determining calories based on your bodyfat and it came pretty close to the MFP number.

I burn about 5-700 calories doing INSANITY so that takes me up to 2,150 - 2,350 calories. While I haven't seen the scale drop, I have noticed using a little less of the tape measure being used. I've heard from several people also that don't see the scale drop but notice pants fitting looser.

Even though I set custom goals, I still keep my activity level at "Sedentary".
  • cbart2818
    Options

Make sure it's a month as your body needs time to adjust.

THIS - it took a bit for my body to adjust to the increased calories but everything levelled out. Certainly don't panic!
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    Personally, and I am no doctor, i think you should be around 1300-15-- cals a day. I am at 1800-2200, i am 5'10" and about 290 and am losing about 2-3 lbs a week.

I workout 5 days a week and swim alot.
  • mommyhof3
    mommyhof3 Posts: 551 Member
    Options

Total. So it varies from day to day depending on what exercise I do. I never eat less than 1800 a day total
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Personally, and I am no doctor, i think you should be around 1300-15-- cals a day. I am at 1800-2200, i am 5'10" and about 290 and am losing about 2-3 lbs a week.

I workout 5 days a week and swim alot.

What you are doing and what she is doing is a lot different. You have a lot more fat stores and can sustain a large calorie deficit than she can and you are older. This will change over time and you will be required to increase. Also, insanity is a very intense workout and I know 24 year old girls who are 119 lbs an 5'2 eating 2100 calories on this program to cut fat.

BTW, I am 5'11, 12% body fat and 200 lbs and I eat 2600-3000 to cut.
  • 987Runner
    987Runner Posts: 209
    Options
    Good info on here! I only just lost my first pound since starting Insanity this week, the first week of the second month. I like what someone said about upping your calories, but in mostly protein. I still have my ratio set to what it was when I was training for my half marathon. I am going to change it to 40/40/20 and see how that works! I think I'm consuming too many carbs when I need to be focusing on protein for muscle gain/building.