HELP!

Options
awaters24
awaters24 Posts: 21 Member
I am so clueless when it comes to making healthy meals,..i buy lots of veggies & then i get bored with just eating them raw or putting them in my salad,....any one have any good recipes or websites to follow?? i'm not a very detailed cook lol so i like to keep it fairly simple....thanks!

Replies

• jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,227 Member
    Options
    Mmmmm. Stir-frys are always easy and there are lots of great sauces on the market, or you can just add some soy sauce, ginger, tad of sugar and a pinch of hot stuff if you like it. Just cut up the veggies thin, get a big enough pan fairly hot, pour in a small bit of oil (no more that 2 teaspoons) and start cooking veggies. As they get brightly coloured and hot, add the soy sauce, ginger, and other stuff, stir some more. turn down the fire, cover for a few minutes while you make sure the rest of the meal is ready (a bit of rice or noodles, whatever) and then serve it up. You can add some thinly sliced chicken breast, shrimp, scallops, pork, or whatever you like and cook it in with the veggies. Awesome and always varied according to the veggies you use. Try thinly sliced cabbage, carrots, onions, and whatever is in season. Enjoy!

If you like stews better, cook some onions in a bit of oil, covering to keep them soft (add a bit of salt), then throw in anything you want from cabbage and peppers to squash and potato, add some chicken or vegetarian substitute (seitan, chickpeas, lentils) and some tasty stuff like bay leaf, basil, rosemary, etc. Cook it for a while and you will be in heaven.

For hot season, just toss whatever veggies you have in a bit of olive oil, salt, and tasty herbs and throw them on the barbecue (hopefully on a pan that keeps them out of the deepest flames) and then they will be superb next to whatever you cook!

Enjoy --

:flowerforyou:
  • LarStar
    LarStar Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I like http://allrecipes.com/recipes/healthy-recipes/ because you can key in the foods that you have in your fridge and recipes will pop up that contain them. It's great for getting a little creative with stuff that needs to get used.

You don't have to eat all veggies though; let yourself have the foods you want and just think of ways to substitute lower calorie foods into what you decide to eat. Ex. if you want pizza, try making a personal pizza on a pita bread with low fat cheese and ground meat or homemade pan fried burgers versus store bought.
  • LarStar
    LarStar Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I also cook with a lot of spices to change up the flavour of foods I eat often. My top pics are tarragon, rosemary, cilantro, oregano, ginger, cardamom, garlic, cinnamon, cumin, and curry.
  • awaters24
    Options
    Thanks so much! :)
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    www.recipesource.com

Just about every continent, country, village is represented on this website....
  • Elen_Sia
    Elen_Sia Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I am so clueless when it comes to making healthy meals,..i buy lots of veggies & then i get bored with just eating them raw or putting them in my salad,....any one have any good recipes or websites to follow?? i'm not a very detailed cook lol so i like to keep it fairly simple....thanks!

Make egg salad with two hardboiled eggs, minced onion and garlic, dash of pepper, and plain low-fat Greek yogurt.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Perhaps experimenting with seasoned rubs that you mix on your own would be a great way to add flavors? Like the other poster mentioned, the spices and herbs really do make a difference!

I have one for chicken and turkey that I use that came out really good - even my husband enjoyed it too!

1/4 C equally of onion powder, hungarian paprika, garlic powder, celery salt. Then 1/8C of arbol chili powder and ancho chili powder, 2 TB brown sugar.

Mix this up really well and place in an air-tight container or shaker...

My GAWD this is soooooo good! I even roasted honkin' huge Cauliflower chunks with this spice mix and it was HEAVENLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • mrbunsrocks
    mrbunsrocks Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    You should try picking up a healthy cooking magazine! My all-time fave is Clean Eating Magazine - you can see some of their recipes on their website too (www.cleaneatingmag.com).

I've had a subscription to CE for a few years now and I just love it; they have really creative food ideas, and use lots of things you might not have thought to try before.
  • awaters24
    Options
    I really like that the clean eating mag gives you shopping lists & meal plans! It's exactly what i need someone to tell me what to do lol..

Alltherecipes really does have all the recipes!

Haven't checked out recipesource yet, but that's my next stop! :)

Thanks for all the great ideas!!
  • bethmac_va
    bethmac_va Posts: 65
    Options
    If you are on Pinterest, look for skinnytaste. Fabulous recipes!
  • patchesgizmo
    patchesgizmo Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    make some of your favorite foods and add veggies to them. Like my home made lasagna, I add a layer of spinach, a layer of eggplant, and a layer of shredded carrots to all the other layers. It is so good! I also make my own sauce for the lasagna and add mushrooms and onions and garlic all fresh to that also. Get creative, have fun.