Family is making it hard!

Options
My family all does weight watchers. They have all lost alot of weight through the point system. I personally have tried it and didn't like it, I prefer alot of exercise and weight watchers doesn't really have a part for exercising. Every time I mention going to the gym, they all pretty much laugh at me saying what I'm doing isn't helping and that I need to do what they do. But it definitely doesn't work for me. How can I make them support the route I'm choosing for my weightloss journey??

Replies

• leah379
    leah379 Posts: 11
    Options
    I know first hand how rough family can be with your weight loss goals. Just put your foot down. Tell them how you feel and be honest with them. They are your family and they will understand.
  • lisslasley
    lisslasley Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I understand your problem...my mother-in-law has all of her family on the Medi-Fast diet. They love it, but I could never do it. I need to exercise.
    One way might be to ask them if they want what is best for you...if they want you to be healthy. And then simply ask them to support you on the route you have chosen to reach your health goals.
  • patchesgizmo
    patchesgizmo Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    you won't get them to join you because they see that WW works for them, but is it short term or long for them? You are going for the longterm because you are changing your lifestyle. Most people need proof that something is going to work for them to change. So blow them off and continue to do your thing. In a year where will they be ? Where will you be?

My mother sabotages me all the time without thought. I say oh yeah I was bad, I ate this, and her reply is there goes this diet. Meaning basically I am a total failure. Which I am not, I just failed that time, not for the future of my diet.
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Well, they won't really be able to deny that your method works when it works. I'd say ignore them for now, keep at it, and let the results speak for themselves in a couple of months.
  • rhe280
    rhe280 Posts: 71
    Options
    you may not be able to convince them that what works for them doesnt work for you. When people find something that works for them they can be pretty closed minded to other options. But with or without their support you should carry on with your way and when they see your results maybe they will come around. good luck :D
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,012 Member
    Options
    You can't make them support you, but you can show them what you are doing works by example. Just do what works for you and when they start seeing the results of your hard work they will have to realize that what you are doing works for you. What works for some doesnt work for everyone. You need to find what works for you and stick with it. Dont let your family derail you
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Use it as motivation, drop the weight and prove them wrong.
  • pittskaa
    pittskaa Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone. I want to prove them all wrong. I wish I had results now haha!
  • JessiDay
    JessiDay Posts: 1
    Options
    It's weird that they make fun of you for exercising, because WW has recently been promoting exercise in a big way. You can earn points back for exercise (the same as eating your workout calories). Every other time I have had to lose weight in my life, I did it with WW...but they changed the system, and I don't really like the new one. So here I am on MFP. But I think it is odd that your family would make fun about exercise when it is a part of the WW program too.
  • KaidaKantri
    KaidaKantri Posts: 401
    Options
    My family all does weight watchers. They have all lost alot of weight through the point system. I personally have tried it and didn't like it, I prefer alot of exercise and weight watchers doesn't really have a part for exercising. Every time I mention going to the gym, they all pretty much laugh at me saying what I'm doing isn't helping and that I need to do what they do. But it definitely doesn't work for me. How can I make them support the route I'm choosing for my weightloss journey??

Wow. Part of living a healthy lifestyle is exercising. It sounds like everyone you talk to doesn't get that. I've never tried weight watchers, and don't plan on it. I believe if your trying to lose weight that you should watch your eating and your exercising. I'd suggest telling them that you think it's fantastic that weight watchers works for them, but it doesn't work for you and if they don't understand that, it's fine. It's also helpful to understand that not everyone is going to agree with you and sometimes it's better t not talk about it.
  • SilviCor
    SilviCor Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    The way I see it, you have two choices: 1) Tell them how you feel and hope they will change their minds. 2) Say nothing and prove them wrong. Ignore what they're telling you and keep doing your thing. Your results will prove them wrong!!!
  • pittskaa
    pittskaa Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    It's weird that they make fun of you for exercising, because WW has recently been promoting exercise in a big way. You can earn points back for exercise (the same as eating your workout calories). Every other time I have had to lose weight in my life, I did it with WW...but they changed the system, and I don't really like the new one. So here I am on MFP. But I think it is odd that your family would make fun about exercise when it is a part of the WW program too.

Yeah none of them work out or anything. I used to ask them to go on walks with me and things like that and they'd be like...we have to lose weight before we exercise. Which is ridiculous! Exercise is how you lose the weight!
  • Jeebs71
    Jeebs71 Posts: 41
    Options
    your family needs to remember that one diet does not work for all. I've tried plenty of them in my time - ww, soups n shakes etc, but can honestly say that the best I've felt when trying to lose weight has been since I got serious back in March and started logging everything I eat on here and exercising at the gym. Don't get me wrong there have been a few weeks where I feel there has not been much weight loss but I can see the change in my body shape and within the last month people have really been starting to comment on how much weight I've lost. To date it's only 24lbs, still got a ways to go, but the motivation it gives you when people notice is amazing. Stick to your guns, you are doing it the right way for you and don't let anyone beat you down.

Best of luck on your journey, though I don't think you will need it as you sound pretty motivated to me

:o)
  • merzback
    merzback Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    tell them the discussion is OFF of the table. That you know WW is a great weight loss plan but this works better for you. You do get extra points if you work out with weight watchers but I got SO sick of counting points- I find this so much easier. If they don't leave you alone- tell them they MUST of you will not talk to them unless they respect your boundaries.
    they are not the diet police-
  • AmyParker979
    AmyParker979 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    When people find something that works for them they can be pretty closed minded to other options.

You just summed up the entire MFP Forum in one sentence!! :drinker:

I was on WW on and off for a couple of years. It was entirely too easy to cheat there. You can't cheat calories in, calories out. Mostly I would recommend not talking about it with them. When it works for you, the'll want to know more. :wink:
  • gypsybree
    gypsybree Posts: 218
    Options
    You can't 'make' anyone do anything.
    Just as they can't make you do weight watchers, you can't make them support you.

Should they?
    Yes.

Just proudly be the black sheep and do what you're going to do.

And my personal opinion? Your family is wrong, they must exercise!!
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Use it as motivation, drop the weight and prove them wrong.

^^^^This!!!!

And as an added bonus...you're not just losing weight you're getting fit too! The total package!
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    How can I make them support the route I'm choosing for my weightloss journey??

Have you tried sarcasm? Like, when they laugh at you or tell you you're doing it wrong, just say "Thanks for the support."

Then prove them wrong. That's usually a pretty decent revenge. :bigsmile:
  • Ripcode
    Ripcode Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    How can I make them support the route I'm choosing for my weightloss journey??

Um, you can't.

Even if they don't support you, you need to do what works for you.
  • Krys_140
    Krys_140 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    WeightWatchers does have an exercise component, but they do not stress it at all. When I was on WW, they called it "move" and just said "try to walk some every day". Talk about wishy washy! Anyway, I think that they may feel a little guilty about not exercising, and since you ARE exercising, they may be poo-poohing it out of guilt (maybe without even realizing it).

I also agree with what others on here have said - they are happy with their success, and want to make sure that you're successful, too. Since you have found something that works for you, you WILL be successful. Just let them know how excited you are about your choices, and that you feel good, and when you start seeing results, they'll probably back off.

But, just be prepared for one thing - if you start seeing better results than they do, you may get even LESS support, not MORE. That's happened to me before. My detractors said to me "you're losing weight too quickly - what you're doing can't be healthy." Boo. :(