Rest day ideas?

Options
Hi everyone! So I've had a pretty busy week with workouts! Did an hour long intense cardio on Wednesday (my normal rest day), my 10K Turkey Trot on Thursday, and another hour long cardio yesterday plus abs workout and strength training/weight lifting for 40 minutes. I am usually a VERY active person..but I feel I should take the rest day I skipped on Wednesday. My problem is it is Saturday and I have off of work so it's killing me to not burn some calories! Any ideas for lower impact workouts? I have a 20-minute yoga/pilates type session I might do..but it doesn't seem like enough:ohwell: Any suggestions?

Replies

• lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Go for a walk! Pick a lovely route, and walk slower than you usually would. I find this is great for relieving both muscle soreness and general "must move or something!" antsy-ness.

Or, a longer yoga session?

HTH:flowerforyou:
  • charlo2010
    Options
    I love Vivians ideas! If thats not enough - because it sounds like you are used to doing alot - how about a swim? thats an allover workout, but a lot less stress on the joints. depending on where you are, and where you go to take that dip it may either be cheap/free (public pool/local high schools) or may offer a relaxing and soothing sauna/hot tub experience to go along with it (gyms)! My two other 'off day' favorites are taking the dog to a dog park and really playing her out (and myself) by chasing or playing frisbee(she doesn't fetch that well, so I do most of the throwing & retrieving!) or just putzing around the house doing all the chores that I've put off all week (you'd be surprised how much you get done - be a putzer!)
    Good Luck! Hope you find something that works for you!
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    I would definitly say a walk. I do it twice a week for "rest days" but I walk with my sister for 4 miles... so we still burn over 300 calories. We walk fast and chat... its so relaxing!
  • lilangel7671
    lilangel7671 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone..unfortunately it is freezing cold and rainy/blowing in New York today...We are expecting some snow. I don't think I will make it outside! lol...I have done the 20-minute "recharge" session, and I think that I am going to head downtown and shop a little..walking that way is better than nothing! And I am planning on dragging out the X-mas decorations from the attic-by myself should be quite the workout with all those boxes! :laugh: ..Still any other ideas are welcome!
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Invest in a Wii and Wii Fit Plus! I bet you would have a blast with that as a rest day option. It's what I use for my primary exercise program, and it's burning pounds off of me. Wii Biggest Loser is a good little workout, too.
  • pawprint061
    Options
    I would have to go with a walk. I'm not into the intense work outs only because my body hates but I love walking. I've lost almost all my weight so far with just walking and smaller portion/reduced calories.
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    Is there a pool you can go to? How about a nice leisurely swim?
  • NotSurprised
    NotSurprised Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    you can also go walking in your own home back & forth for whatever amount of time you want even better than outside & the treadmill , because you have to turn each time unless you live in a castle, but eventually your going to have to return to your starting position and repeat it's great for your knees strenghtens them like nothing else for overall movement.