Do you count fruits and veggies?

Options

Replies

• NYChick84
    NYChick84 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    My #1 mistake in the past was not logging everything that enters my body. I can sit there and eat a whole pot full of fruits and vegetables. Granted, no one joined any weight loss program because we over indulged on fruits and veggies. However, they do have calories.
    Fruits are a #1 silent "killer" to my diet. With the high grams of sugar, any fruit in excess will hinder my weight loss journey. Just recently, I came to terms with limiting my intake of fruit to 2 a day. I was eating fruit because I wanted the excuse to eat something. Now, I am eating because I am hungry, not as a hobby.

I wanted some sort of excuse to put food in my mouth. It's unrealistic and bad for me. I'm also an emotional eater, meaning, I'll eat just because - happy, sad, depressed, excited, holiday's, "time of the month", time of the day, boredom...I wanted to eat. It just can't be done....

So yes, measure your fruits and veggies. Use a scale or a measuring cup. This is a habit that needs to become second nature.

And remember this quote, " Never forget....what you eat in private, you wear in public."
  • delaney056
    delaney056 Posts: 475
    Options
    Do you add in calories for fruits and vegetables? Or do you consider them "free"? I nosh on peaches, watermelon, apples, carrots, and bananas the most.

Yes, because everything you have listed there (even the carrots) has lot of sugar. Which, by the way, is not unhealthy and each come with a generous dollop of nutrients and fiber and other good stuff, but none of them are anywhere near calorie-free.

If you set yourself up for a 500 calorie deficit per day and ate one large peach (61 calories), one slice of watermelon (86 calories), one large apple (110 calories), 1 cup of carrots (52 calories) and one large banana (121 calories), you've eaten 430 unlogged calories and your deficit is now 70 calories.

Net result: Your goal says you should lose 1 pound a week. Your actual weight loss would be closer to one pound every two months.

MFP already puts you in a deficit. You will not lower your deficit unless you eat above the calorie goal MFP sets for you.
  • patchesgizmo
    patchesgizmo Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    everything except my meds I count
  • vklebanova
    vklebanova Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I count absolutely everything - including my multivitamins - which have 5 calories btw.

Fruit and Veggies in grand amounts are GREAT. In fact, most science recommends that you eat 4 whole fruits a day and at least 1 lb of veggies. However - this has calories and if you're going to follow this than you have to log it. I actually piece together my salads and count how much is going in there of everything.

A good resource for info on fruits and veggies is Dr. Fuhrman who recommends a diet based around fruits, vegetables and legumes. He has a great book - Eat to Live that is totally and completely backed by legit science and multiple studies. I recommend you check this out although take it with a grain of salt. Things work differently in people's bodies. Keep in mind that obviously Diabetics (for example) would be hard pressed NOT to count their fruits.

Fruits and vegetables are great because they are packed with nutrients. They have a high nutrient density compared to calorie density. In general, that's what you want to eat nutrient rich, calorie low foods. But if you're COUNTING CALORIES than you count them in.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I'm confused by the question! You eat them, don't you? They have calories, don't they? And macronutrients? Am I missing something here?
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    if i eat it, it counts..... because well...im not actually consuming that.
  • vklebanova
    vklebanova Posts: 152 Member
    Options
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Do you add in calories for fruits and vegetables? Or do you consider them "free"? I nosh on peaches, watermelon, apples, carrots, and bananas the most.

Yes, because everything you have listed there (even the carrots) has lot of sugar. Which, by the way, is not unhealthy and each come with a generous dollop of nutrients and fiber and other good stuff, but none of them are anywhere near calorie-free.

If you set yourself up for a 500 calorie deficit per day and ate one large peach (61 calories), one slice of watermelon (86 calories), one large apple (110 calories), 1 cup of carrots (52 calories) and one large banana (121 calories), you've eaten 430 unlogged calories and your deficit is now 70 calories.

Net result: Your goal says you should lose 1 pound a week. Your actual weight loss would be closer to one pound every two months.

MFP already puts you in a deficit. You will not lower your deficit unless you eat above the calorie goal MFP sets for you.

You miss my point.

If you have a no-exercise TDEE of 2,000 calories and ask MFP to set you a 1 pound a week weight loss goal, you will have a deficit of 500 calories. So your daily calorie budget will be 1,500 calories. If you eat 1,500 "net" calories (meaning you add any exercise to that), you should lose about a pound a week on average.

If you eat 1,500 "net" calories of logged food, but decide not to log fruit and eat 470 calories of that, you are now eating 1,970 calories. Since your TDEE is now 30 pounds over your intake, you have reduced your deficit to 70 calories.

MFP's system requires that you log pretty much everything. If you eat a lot of fruit and don't log it, you may be eating FAR more calories than you realize and eating yourself completely out of a deficit, and possibly into a surplus.
  • Ljkshs
    Ljkshs Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thank you for explaining about fruits & veggies....I know that's where I run into problems
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    If you put it in your mouth...peaches, tacos, etc. Count it!
  • BeachBobbie
    Options
    I weigh measure and meticulously log everything. By default I also tack on an extra 10 calories per week just to account for bugs I may eat in my sleep.

hahaha...good answer
  • angiejo666
    angiejo666 Posts: 11
    Options
    Everything counts.

In large amounts?

The graph on the wall tells the story of it all. :happy:
  • KarenAnnne
    KarenAnnne Posts: 190 Member
    Options

Thanks for that. Sometimes I wonder if I am eating too many fruits because of the sugar, but reading that just reaffirms my belief that the health benefits from fruit out way the sugar content.
  • jfrankic
    jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    If a food contains calories, I count it. I do not log coffee, tea, spices, herbs, etc. I think this idea of "free food" comes from Weight Watchers." but I don't get it.. Besides wanting an accurate calorie count for the day/week, I like to see how I'm doing getting the right nutrients: calcium, iron, vitamins, fiber, etc.

I thought all spices and herbs were pretty much calorie free until I built my chili recipe in MFP. I decided to check cumin and chili powder and at 2Tbsp, they added quite a few calories according to the nutritional info on the site. I did not do my own research though. Just want to remind everyone to chck even stuff like that.
  • Alansugar1
    Alansugar1 Posts: 15
    Options
    If you were to say no......... I would not be logging in my Cadburys fruit and nut choccie bar
  • NYChick84
    NYChick84 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    If a food contains calories, I count it. I do not log coffee, tea, spices, herbs, etc. I think this idea of "free food" comes from Weight Watchers." but I don't get it.. Besides wanting an accurate calorie count for the day/week, I like to see how I'm doing getting the right nutrients: calcium, iron, vitamins, fiber, etc.

I thought all spices and herbs were pretty much calorie free until I built my chili recipe in MFP. I decided to check cumin and chili powder and at 2Tbsp, they added quite a few calories according to the nutritional info on the site. I did not do my own research though. Just want to remind everyone to chck even stuff like that.

Agreed!! Cinnamon is 18 cals per tablespoon. I love cinnamon on my chopped up apples. I drown my apples in it....until I plugged in cinnamon....I limit it to 1 tbsp now.
  • Shannon2714
    Shannon2714 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I count everything. EVERYTHING.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I log fruit and high calorie veggies but most of the time I will throw peppers,spinach or onions on my plate and not count it, then again this ia all estimates anyway...I couldn't care less about 40 calories of veggies if I don't log it.
  • sweetNsassy2584
    sweetNsassy2584 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    The only free food there is is water.. Log it!
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. Healthy does not equal no calories.