Do you count fruits and veggies?

Options

Replies

• tinytoyjess
    tinytoyjess Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I am not used to logging them because I've always done WW. I intend to start MFP at the end of this month once I discontinue my WW membership. I suppose I'll start logging them then. I'll say, though, that I've always allowed myself unlimited fruit and vegetables and have never been overweight in my life. I've used WW a few times to lose a few extra pounds and have always been successful with it, even without tracking fruit and vegetables. Mind you; I am not sitting here all day stuffing my face bull of bananas, but I can easily eat an entire bag of frozen broccoli w/ dinner each night and still lose weight.

The one thing that's always burned me out of WW was all the measuring and tracking. I am curious to see if once I add in even more measuring and tracking with all the fruit/veg if I'll burn out of MFP more quickly even.

Also, WW's concept of "free" fruit/vegetable allowance is built into their points system. It's assumed you'll eat so many "free" foods and this is accounted for in the daily points allowance. MFP doesn't provide this built in "freedom" so I suppose it's best to track all calories because calories are calories.

And, I"ll add that while I am sure there are plenty of obese vegetarians I doubt they got that way eating nothing but bland steamed vegetables and plain fruit.
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Celery is probably the only one I don't log. Everything else has a significant enough amount of calories to merit being put into my calculations.
  • rebeccasedwards
    Options
    I also log in everything. Fruits and veggies have calories too.
  • Dare2BThin
    Dare2BThin Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I just ate 110 calorie banana....If I ate one everyday and didnt log it I would be eating over by 770 cal a week and that just 1 piece of fruit a day
  • whitneysaenz
    whitneysaenz Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Why does this questions constantly pop up? Weight watchers?

Does it have calories? Yes. Log it.
  • feast4thebeast
    feast4thebeast Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I have got to the stage with my log that the veggies I eat are usually under recent which makes them easy to log. If you eat the same types of fruit and veg normally then logging them for a few days/weeks will make it easy to track because they will be there under recent e.g. one medium banana. As has already been said above make sure you count them :) Good luck
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    Yep, I log everything... anything I eat gets put in the tracker. But that's just me!
  • CrazyGraciegirl
    Options
    I log everything with calories. I am trying the HSGD for the first time today, and they don't count fruit and vegetables in the intake. I wouldn't count, celery, watermelon, strawberries, blueberries or fruits and veggies with high water content. I would count bananas and potatoes though.
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    Options
    If I eat it, then I log it
  • NoxDineen
    NoxDineen Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I log EVERYTHING that passes my lips, excluding 0 calorie things.
    I even log those (things like Diet Coke) since they can have sodium and other stuff I'd like an accurate count of. Plus, I log my mood in another app each day so I can correlate crappy moods to food intake if it seems to be related.

As I mentioned though, I'm sort of a giant nerd.
  • tinydancer4
    tinydancer4 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Celery is probably the only one I don't log. Everything else has a significant enough amount of calories to merit being put into my calculations.

I agree, I log everything...except celery!

Apart from on days when I'm really, really bored at work, then I log celery.
  • tinydancer4
    tinydancer4 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I log EVERYTHING that passes my lips, excluding 0 calorie things.
    I even log those (things like Diet Coke) since they can have sodium and other stuff I'd like an accurate count of. Plus, I log my mood in another app each day so I can correlate crappy moods to food intake if it seems to be related.

As I mentioned though, I'm sort of a giant nerd.

That's such a good idea! What is the app?
  • meabhaline
    meabhaline Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    This isn't Weight Watchers. All food has calories, and people can become obese as vegetarians. This site is designed for you to log ALL the food that you eat. There are no "free" foods.

Correct, I am a vegetarian and I am over weight :(
  • NYChick84
    NYChick84 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    This isn't Weight Watchers. All food has calories, and people can become obese as vegetarians. This site is designed for you to log ALL the food that you eat. There are no "free" foods.

Correct, I am a vegetarian and I am over weight :(

Being a vegetarian means nothing...you probably indulge in dairy and LOADS of carbs.
  • mxtodsi
    mxtodsi Posts: 23
    Options
    I definitely count them. Healthy as they are, they do contain calories and these add up.
  • sthrnchick
    sthrnchick Posts: 771
    Options
    I count everything I eat, including all fruits and veggies...they aren't FREE cals!
  • kris10stew
    kris10stew Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I log everything. I love seeing how vegetables give me vitamins, nutrients and fiber for relatively low calories. And to be reminded that fruits are a good "sweet" choice (but still a sweet choice. oh sugar.)
  • agneszs
    agneszs Posts: 2
    Options
    My #1 mistake in the past was not logging everything that enters my body. I can sit there and eat a whole pot full of fruits and vegetables. Granted, no one joined any weight loss program because we over indulged on fruits and veggies. However, they do have calories.
    Fruits are a #1 silent "killer" to my diet. With the high grams of sugar, any fruit in excess will hinder my weight loss journey. Just recently, I came to terms with limiting my intake of fruit to 2 a day. I was eating fruit because I wanted the excuse to eat something. Now, I am eating because I am hungry, not as a hobby.

I wanted some sort of excuse to put food in my mouth. It's unrealistic and bad for me. I'm also an emotional eater, meaning, I'll eat just because - happy, sad, depressed, excited, holiday's, "time of the month", time of the day, boredom...I wanted to eat. It just can't be done....

So yes, measure your fruits and veggies. Use a scale or a measuring cup. This is a habit that needs to become second nature.

And remember this quote, " Never forget....what you eat in private, you wear in public."
  • anels449
    anels449 Posts: 3,187 Member
    Options
    I log them. Anything I eat I try and log (though, I'm not perfect. I tend to usually forget if I put a condiment on my hamburger or something).
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    I was thinking the same thing about bacon dipped in mayo....
    And YES, count it. Why would you not?
    Anything that contains calories you put in your mouth and swallow should be logged in - even tofu and seaweed.
    Good Luck!