Corporate Fitness Ideas

Options
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for ideas to encourage fitness at my company. I've recently joined our Wellness Committee and would like to hear ideas for promoting health and wellness.

What has your company done that you have liked? What has worked to get more people motivated? Do you have an idea that you would like to see happen at your company? Or have you heard about something someone else was doing that was interesting?

Any and all advice is appreciated. I will check back on this thread periodically and give serious consideration to everyone's input.

Thanks in advance, and have a great day!

Replies

• healthycrane
    Options
    My company recently had a stair climbing campaign that was successful. Employees would commit to either beginner, intermediate or advanced levels, and then would climb that number of stairs each day. Beginner level might be two flights, and it would gradually increase throughout the four week campaign. Drawings for prizes at the end for anyone who met their goals.

My dad's company recently had a Biggest Loser contest. He lost almost 60 lbs and was the winner.

I wish my company offered free exercise classes. Right now they charge a fee for all of them. A running club would be nice too.
  • crazycat80
    crazycat80 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    My company sponsors events that are 5K walks and bike rides at area parks. They get fitness points that go towards reducing their insurance premiums by participating. We also do things like healthy cooking classes that are done by places like Wild Oats or Whole Foods to teach people better eating.
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    People are always interested at my work when there is a cash prize.

Depending on how large your company is, my work had teamed up with Kaiser and offered two programs for the last two years. First one was a 10,000 step program where they provide pedometers and people would log in their daily steps. Everyone who participated got a $50 cash card. The second one was exercise for 30 min 5x a week, and again participants have to log in their exercises. Participants were selected at random to receive $50 cash card.

And then there are non-work sponsored things that people do. There were a few weight loss pool. Each participants pay $10 to join. The person who lose the most weight at the end of the period (usually 3-4 months) get the cash.

None cash prize thing that people loved was healthy pot luck. It was fun because you can try new recipes.

Exercising or walking together for lunch is very common at my work also.
  • cjmas
    cjmas Posts: 63
    Options
    My company's wellness program lets you earn points by doing various things (attending seminars on site, health coaching, etc.) and if you earn a certain number of points get a reduced health care premium next year. Some activities will also earn you gift cards and those seem to be the most popular.

We have a quarterly newsletter that includes healthy recipes that employees submit.

Right now we have a "Walk for Health Challenge" and employees are encouraged to participate, using the American Heart Association website tracker. Two winners (most time tracked and most steps taken) will be selected and probably given gift cards. I heard last year we did something similar, with pedometers handed out to all employees.

Personally, I wouldn't participate in a "biggest loser" style competition because I don't want my coworkers to know my weight. That seems too personal.

When weather is nice, I know some companies have "walking meetings" and/or run clubs, although my company is a little too formal for that, I think.
  • doggiesnot
    doggiesnot Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great ideas so far!
  • bloooms
    bloooms Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    We have pedometers and the top 3 people with the most steps monthly get gas cards ($20,$15,$10).. and last month we started tracking where in the US you have walked to from the office. The program has been going on a little over a year so mileage wise people were in VA or so, we live in MA.
  • zellagrrl
    zellagrrl Posts: 439
    Options
    Chair massages were a hit-- periodically, they brought in a few people to do 15 minute chair massages for anyone who wanted them, and it was wonderful.

Set up a sponsorship-- sponsor one race/event per person per year-- or sponsor a 5K and everyone from your company who runs in it.

Provide up to $30 per month for people to join the fitness club of their choice (loved that at my old company).
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    My company is currently sponsoring employees in a 5K race. They will pay your entry fee and are providing company shirts.

They also have free yoga classes twice a week. They do lots of contest type stuff too, but I'm not into that so haven't participated in that.
  • kikokateyy
    kikokateyy Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    We do walk - a - thons and have Tai Chi and Zumba during lunch hours.
  • drewols
    drewols Posts: 77
    Options
    We bought our employees Nike+ sensors and Fuel bands and run challenges that way. It took a bit to catch on but people have really gotten into it
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Bump - to read later.
  • Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    We hired a personal trainer to come in during lunch hours for bootcamp (paid for by participants)
  • cjmas
    cjmas Posts: 63
    Options
    Oh, right: forgot to include that my company will pay for your gym membership (up to $50/month), but you have to prove you've gone at least 13 times per quarter. They used to automatically pay membership with a gym around the corner that we had a partnership with, and they would send over our attendance reports. (That gym has merged with another, and now we have to pay ourselves.)

Also: if you walk/bike/carpool/take public transportation at least 13 times every four months, you get a $25 AmEx giftcard.
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    My company brings in a coach who teaches different Les Mills classes at lunch and again at the end of the day. It's great to have it on site and many people participate. They also offer a 30 minute class which is even more popular because some people can't fit in the whole hour.

They also sponsor local charity runs and fitness events and cover the bulk of the registration fee for any employee who wants to participate. They are careful about the events they select and I think that's why it's been successful.

Every few months we do a fitness challenge where you team up and earn points for the different workouts you do. It's fun any people get competitive so it pushes you to do more.

They also brought in a personal trainer and nutritionist one time and allowed you to set-up at 15 or 30 minute consultation with her for free.

Good for you for participating in the committee!
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    I forgot, they also do walking club twice a week during lunch where everyone goes out and walks outside.
  • Titanuim
    Titanuim Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    My company is involved in the Global Corporate Challenge.

It also refunds you $300 per year on your gym membership.

There are two big fun runs in my town and mywork will ;pay you and family members entry fee, along with a company tshirt to participate in along with a refreshment tent at the end. I have signed up for a 12km run at the end of August which has made me take up running which I wouldn't have done if I had to pay for my own entry.
  • kristyb1982
    kristyb1982 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I work at a rural hospital and we have a program called Fresh Start. You can get measured twice a year on six criteria: blood sugar, cholesterol (ldl and hdl), weight, nicotine, and blood pressure. If you meed the standards on all six goals, you get a payout of $200. If you only meet five, you get $100. If you meet four or less, you don't get any money. Obese/overweight people are given achievable goals of lose 4-6 lbs in the next 6 months, and things like that. The hospital also provides many classes to the general public on nutrition, heart health, exercise, etc that the employees are encouraged to attend. There is a small workout closet with a treadmill and elliptical available.
  • Dailygoals
    Dailygoals Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Must read this later. We are currently doing a 10,000 daily challenge. It's creating great banter in the office with people comparing steps and competing teams. We also do healthy eating demos. Also few of us started taking turns to make the lunch. This is working out really well. As everyone makes a big effort and there isn't as much waste.
  • julslea
    julslea Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    My company is having a nutritionist come in and speak to us next week. They are also currently doing a biggest looser challenge that I am in.
  • jennyb612
    jennyb612 Posts: 83
    Options
    Great Topic! I'm interested in the responses!!