Excuses...and solutions....

Options
What is the #1 excuse you use to NOT work out or eat right....

and.....

What do you do to talk yourself/shake yourself OUT of that excuse?

Me
"I'll eat that and exercise more later".

Solution: If I want it that bad, exercise the calories off FIRST. 80% of the time I don't want to exercise an EXTRA 45 minutes (on top of the workouts I already do) just to eat a piece of cake..so I end up skipping it.

Replies

• cardozm
    cardozm Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    hmmm .. good idea
  • NeedANewFocus
    NeedANewFocus Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    1) "I'm too tired..."
    2) "I'll work out in the morning..."
  • Cat52169
    Cat52169 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Working out: I'm tired and I have a lot of chores to do at home. Unfortunately life never changes at home so this excuse is always available.

Eating wrong: I already went over my calories so.......

Solutions:

Working out: I work out on my lunch hour. I'm starting Monday to run before work ( summer school ends for my stepson)
    Eating wrong: Plan meals ahead of time. Pack my breakfast and lunch meals the night before so Mcdonalds and Ramen and Panera don't lure me in:smile:
  • Tishy78
    Tishy78 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    "I'm too tired" for me is to give it the 5 minute try. By that point, I am in the routine and complete the full workout. If I was actually too drained and felt lousy after the 5, I'd give it a rest. But never happened so far :)
  • gentlebreeze2
    gentlebreeze2 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I figure out what I want to eat, then how many calories I need to burn. As far as excuses... I had cancer, so I started eating anything my heart desired (feeling sorry for myself)... BUT I don't feel as good when I don't eat right.
  • Avandel
    Avandel Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    My excuse is 118F & no A/C :explode:

But I do make sure I only eat my alloted calories :bigsmile:
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Mine is definitely "I am too tired." My solution is getting off my butt and doing it or just letting it be if I am within my calories.
  • TeTeAngel
    TeTeAngel Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Excuse: I am too tired, it won't hurt to miss today.

Solution: I tell myself to do at least half of what you usually do. Before I finish half I am not tired anymore, and I complete the entire workout.
  • DeadMarsha
    DeadMarsha Posts: 203
    Options
    Excuse: I'll do it tomorrow for sure... *hits snooze*

Solution: I started to make plans with friends to meet at a specific time, then I set my alarm "late" enough to where if I hit snooze I'll be late and a flake! If I give myself ANY snooze time I take it 90% of the time and never get up to exercise, so I have to set my alarm to the last minute. ;) Now it's a habit, and I get up regardless of whether or not my friends are meeting me, and I get up on my yoga days at home (this is a huge victory for me!)

As far as food goes, I really love MFP's calorie tracker. It's really working well for me so far, but I've only been using it consistenly for a few days so I really can't say! Some added incentive: junk foods always make me feel disgusting if I eat too much of it. So I try to avoid them or make light snacks out of them (buy the tiny can of Pringles instead of the giant one!! Since it's so expensive I usually end up skipping it anyway). ;) Summer makes it easier because there are so many fresh fruits & veggies available at markets as an alternative to snacking.
  • sundaywishes
    sundaywishes Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    bump to read later
  • BootCampCrazy
    BootCampCrazy Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    These are what prevented me from getting on the weightloss wagon a long time ago:

Excuse not to workout: I have kids and there's just not enough time in the day. I'm gone to work before they get up, and I'm too exhausted by the time they're in bed"

Solution: Hit the gym on my lunch break

Excuse to eat whatever I want: just a wrongful feeling of entitlement. I work hard so I (gasp) deserve to indulge.

Solution: Eat what you want, but treat your caloric intake like you do your checkbook. Create a budget, find ways to save, and when the calories are gone, they're GONE.
  • brendaschmitt1
    Options
    What is the #1 excuse you use to NOT work out or eat right....

I am spending family time and don't need to workout.
    Or for food : I have been doing pretty good so far.

What do you do to talk yourself/shake yourself OUT of that excuse?

I need to workout just because my husband wants to lay around and be lazy or play computer all day I need to get in shape. Plus if I don't it will take longer to lose.
    Or for food: If i eat this I will take forever to lose weight and give up. Plus i can not workout like an animal like i use too because of my knees. If i eat this i will be fat forever.