Weight loss slowing, plateaus, any tips?

Options
stephross88
stephross88 Posts: 846 Member
I have lost 60 lbs in the last 3 months and now despite eating healthier and eating less and continuing with my exercise my weight loss has slowed significantly. I hit a plateau probably about every 15 pounds lost but I am usually able to shake it within a week or so. Does anyone have any tips or tricks or are you in the same situation?

Replies

• bbturbofiregirl
    Options
    Your body is telling you it's time to switch things up. Try switching up your workouts. Keep your body guessing. BEST OF LUCK! :wink:
  • GeekMom17
    GeekMom17 Posts: 51
    Options
    Yep. Change things up. You're going to have to work harder and different ways. Your body has gotten used to it. Depending on how hard you are working out you might have to adjust calories as well.
  • Twiztedbeing
    Twiztedbeing Posts: 389
    Options
    I also think that such quick weight loss within that time limit may be another reason. Your body could be catching up and of course the closer you get to your goal weight, the harder it ends up being, but dont quote me.

bbt is right. You can always switch it up and try new routines for food and exercise.
  • tawny7
    tawny7 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Change your workout routine. You can also play with the amount of calories you're taking in...go a little over or a little under, that might change things. Your body is getting use to your new routines...gotta confuse it!!
    Congrats on your weight loss!! :flowerforyou:
  • halejr23
    halejr23 Posts: 294
    Options
    Your body is telling you it's time to switch things up. Try switching up your workouts. Keep your body guessing. BEST OF LUCK! :wink:

Agreed. Find something new to shock the body in to being a more efficient fat burner. For lack of a better way to explain it as your body gets "used to" doing the same thing all the time if becomes less and less efficient at burning fat.
  • a_new_dawn
    a_new_dawn Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Increase your calorie intake slightly. Some people swear by zig-zagging calories day to day. Again, it's all about keeping your body guessing apparently!
  • dhiammarath
    dhiammarath Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    My weightloss went in spurts. Compared to my husband (boy, was (am!!) so jealous of his steady decrease!), who seemed to always lose his weight steadily. I would hit a plateau for a week, sometimes two, and then I'd lose like a bunch (well, okay 3) of pounds overnight.

I hit a large plateau in May, just before my 10-year wedding anniversary trip to Hawaii. I was so bummed, but when I got to Hawaii despite my best efforts to be good, I wasn't. My energy expenditure counterbalanced, that, however.

Not to get too into that, what I've recently found as far as plateau's go (at least for my own) is that eating more in Hawaii (yet still healthy choices) seemed to jump start it. So maybe, when you hit that plateau, change it up. Eat back your exercise calories (I wasn't. I was sticking to my 1200 calories total, not net), and maybe splurge a little one day -- with a longer walk / gym time / whatever your exercise of poison is -- and then be stricter the next day.

That, so far, has seemed to work for my last two(ish) plateaus. Though... who knows when I hit the 3rd what will budge me forward!

Either way, you're doing awesome and should be proud of what you've lost! And of course, good job!! :D:D
  • amy0975
    amy0975 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    How did you lose so much that fast? I have lost 12 pounds in 18 days, but it's slowing down.
  • HollywoodDJ
    HollywoodDJ Posts: 296
    Options
    60 POUNDS IN 3 MONTHS????????? AND YOU ARE BEING THIS HARD ON YOURSELF????

I think it would better serve you you to see how far you have come rather than to be a little hard on yourself.

You are doing AMAZING hun!
  • suki_007
    suki_007 Posts: 1
    Options
    You could try calorie cycling, google it for a better description than I could give. It worked for me.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    Eat more.
    For 2 weeks eat more.
    If it doesnt work i'll run personal numbers for you to break your plateau but eating more, like 2k a day for 2 weeks will break it.
    And youd be surprised how you wont gain weight during those 2 weeks either.
  • Twiztedbeing
    Twiztedbeing Posts: 389
    Options
    60 POUNDS IN 3 MONTHS????????? AND YOU ARE BEING THIS HARD ON YOURSELF????

I think it would better serve you you to see how far you have come rather than to be a little hard on yourself.

You are doing AMAZING hun!

agree
  • stephross88
    stephross88 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    I lost the weight with the help of prescription appetite suppressants and I really changed the way I ate right away, no soda, no junk, period. I started working out on the elliptical a little each day and now can go a full hour without stopping, used to make it maybe 10 minutes haha
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    2 words... HIIT training. Lots of threads on here\the net about it. Helps me soooo much! Also increasing my protein and decreasing carbs made a HUGE difference to me x
  • biged335
    biged335 Posts: 734
    Options
    Changes things up... What you eat, your exercise, and most importantly... Keep Pushing!!!
  • meowmily
    meowmily Posts: 85
    Options
    All I can tell you is what worked for me, everyone is different. I was in a seriously bad plateau for the last 3 months. I actually ordered Bob Harper's "The Skinny Rules" (normally I don't advocate diet books, but this one has 20 simple easy-to-follow rules and is based off common sense). I started following a few of the rules and right away I saw results. I lost 4 pounds last month and my weight loss seems to be going at its regular speed again.
    PS: You can preview the book on amazon if you want to just look at the rules without buying it, but I recommend buying it to keep in your kitchen. He has two weeks of meal plans to help you shake that plateau. GOOD LUCK :flowerforyou:
  • half_moon
    half_moon Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Wow we are alike. I am also doing the elliptical as my cardio-- up to an hour tops, now. Also on a lie calorie, and also losing quickly. I'd say eat more. I'm totaling (not netting) 1200 cal a day. When I plateau, I plan to push that up to net 1200. Good luck!
  • Big_Daddy6
    Big_Daddy6 Posts: 188
    Options
    I stalled too. Switch up your workout or eating habits. Go Primal for a few weeks......or do Intermittent fasting for 16 hrs a day. Last meal at 6pm. Don't eat again til 10am or so but eat all your allowed calories.....or close. I was stuck for several weeks.......switched to Primal and IF.......scale started moving again......even quicker.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!