SWIMMING CLASSES / SPINNING CLASSES / STEPPING CLASSES

Options
Has anyone joined one?

How did it work ?

Whats your opinions on them ?

Thanks! I am looking into joining a class just to get out and meet some people, and get some more excersize

Replies

• Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Why not ride a bike outside instead? Spinning sucks.
  • rocketpopsicles
    Options
    I would, however I don't own a bike, and I am not comfortably riding around the city to be honest.
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    My friends do spinning and step, as well as zumba, and they LOVE it. I don't because of my work schedule, I work when all the classes are going on. So I just do nautilus and run outside.
  • browneyez27
    browneyez27 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    looooove zumba and any dance based cardio classes! spinning is ok....if u have a super large behind like myself, i definitely recommend investing in one of those cushioned strap-on bike seats, because spin bikes are a lot more narrow than regular stationary bikes...i was walking like a wounded cowboy for a couple days after :D

• jsidel126
    jsidel126 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I run outside when the weather is nice and warm. During the winter, I do spin classes and the treadmill at the local gym. I find that the spin class did not prepare me for hills in my area when I took the bicycle out in the spring. I find it is easier to run an equvalent speed on a treadmill than outside. I like the gym equipment and the social aspects of the gym during the winter when the weather does not cooperate. I need to push myself more at the gym to get an equavalent outside workout.
  • josavage
    josavage Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I love taking classes and I've made some good friends at the gym. Give it a try!
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I swim and do step. I swim on my own (they do classes?) but attend a step class every week. I just turned up and joined in. I was really overweight, struggled with the class in particular the timing, but I have a great teacher who is very encouraging to new members and now I am one of her regular pupils. I would suggest that you just dive in :smile:
  • iamMaLisa
    iamMaLisa Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I take Body Pump, Body Combat and Zumba and am about to check out a spin class.... i didnt want to join classes because i was to nervous and didnt want to look stupid infront of others, but now i love going since everyone doesnt even care what you are doing. Plus its structure and that is what i need, so that i dont just walk around the gym doing only a few things, also it helps with me pushing myself to be with others, on my own i dont do as well... so if structure is what you need or basicly someone telling you what to do, then go for it! If youa re good on your own... rock on!
  • littlecaponey2
    littlecaponey2 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I LOVE spinning and can't even begin to tell the results I have had with it. I also just started a Boot Camp class on my off spinning days. I have gone from a size 10 to a size 4/6 since March!
  • PLiF310
    PLiF310 Posts: 1
    Options
    I haven't tried spinning but my cousin did and it worked for him. He lost at least 20 lbs in 3-4 months spinning at least 3-4 days a week. He looks fantastic. I prefer to bike outside but unfortunately for me, where I live, there are no girl-bicyle groups or any amateur groups that ride on weekends. Does anyone know if I'm mistaken and there ARE amateur bicycle riding groups out here in Whitter/City of Industry????
  • Cgirlish
    Cgirlish Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I am taking a swimming class, once a week at the local pool, there are 6 of us in the class at various levels of swimming... from afraid to get in the water to me wanting to improve my freestyle stroke. They gave us another instructor that works with 3 of us and the other instructor works with the beginners ... I have learned a few things and it is helping me build my endurance....so I say I'm getting my monies worth, class was only $35 for 9 weeks
  • shanice_22
    shanice_22 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Why not ride a bike outside instead? Spinning sucks.

I like spinning because of the social aspect and I like the fact that there is an instructor there to shout at you to keep going. You don't get that if you're cycling outside alone!

Plus, like the OP, I'm not overly comfortable cycling in public. At least at a spinning class everyone's sweaty, and possibly losing weight too and whatnot together :laugh:
  • mogriff1
    mogriff1 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I love group fitness! I think they are so much fun and motivates me to work harder even more. Something about seeing others giving it their all, encourages me to do the same. I tell myself, "if they can do it, so can I". I love the thrill of the environment as well. I'm fortunate my gym offers so many classes.

The group fitness classes I take are Spinning, Zumba, Latin Heat Dance, Body Pump, Pilates, Cardio Kickboxing and sometimes Step Aerobics and Aqua Aerobics. I do weights and cardio machines as well, but I have to mix it up; I get bored easily. I also workout to my at home DVDs as well.

I have met my goal weight and have gone from a size 8-10 to a 4-6 from jan 2012 to jun 2012!

Variety is the spice of life! :laugh:
  • mrsrevell
    mrsrevell Posts: 4
    Options
    LOVE both Spin & Step Classes! I do both each week.
    Spin...You'll have a really painful behind for afew days after your first class (Those seats are nasty!), but I promise it gets better.
    Step...SO much fun, takes afew classes to figure out your coordination, meanwhile you get to laugh at yourself!
    Both...Super fantastic for your fitness levels
    Give it a go, you won't regret it xx
  • Dalacombe
    Dalacombe Posts: 30
    Options
    Love my water classes - swim lessons, fins, and water aerobics.
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Anything that gets you moving is good. I would try different classes until you find what you like. Maybe running outside is more work but if you aren't going to do it but you will do treadmill then that is great. If bicycling outside isn't for you then spinning is fabulous.

Personally, I really enjoy yoga class. I think I would like zumba but can't afford it right now. Other than that, I like hopping on my treadmill and running a few miles then walking a few miles. It keeps me off our high speed winding roads with no shoulder and I can watch a movie or read my textbooks while I exercise.
  • tinytoyjess
    tinytoyjess Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I love Spinning. It's one of my absolute favorite things and if for some reason I had to stop going I think I'd have a breakdown. There are all types of people/bodies in my class. It's hard, but in a good way, and you're able to go at your own pace by setting the resistance at whichever level you're able to tolerate.

Oh, and I second the advice about buying a gel-seat to strap onto the spin bike seat. Those seats are narrow and not very comfortable.
  • anels449
    anels449 Posts: 3,187 Member
    Options
    Has anyone joined one?

How did it work ?

Whats your opinions on them ?

Thanks! I am looking into joining a class just to get out and meet some people, and get some more excersize

I go to spinning and step classes and so far I've really enjoyed them. I've noticed my legs have gotten a lot stronger even in the past couple months and it's a great workout. I would never even consider investing in a road bike had it not been for joining the spinning class. I am planning on getting my first road bike at the end of summer (yay!). I also have an amazing a** from both classes which is always a perk haha!

I'd say go for it! It's fun, it gets you moving, nothing wrong with that! :D
  • manhn1
    manhn1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I have never tried spinning because it's an added cost to my gym membership and I avoid any extra costs. But they are popular in my gym.

I have done step classes and it can be very enjoyable. Don't worry if you don't get all the steps. After a few classes, you will get the hang of it.

I am not familiar with swimming classes (except in terms of actually learning to swim). Do you mean water aerobics?

My personal favourite class is cardio kickbox. The time really flies by and I love how you can really release your aggression.

In terms of the social aspect, I find most people are quite polite but I tend to isolate myself. I'm just here for the class.
  • DrJanet98
    DrJanet98 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I took a water aerobics class with my mom. The instructor was a little lady in her 80s who ran two classes ragged every day. The one I took with my mom, I was definitely the youngest there, but that has its psychological advantages. There were other classes with a younger demographic, if I hadn't been taking it with my mom. Even so, there are so many ways to increase the work involved that she was able to give everyone a good workout.

No matter what class you take, it depends more on the instructor and the other people taking the class, whether you'll enjoy it or not. If you think you don't like a type of class, try it again with a different instructor before deciding for sure.