Blueberries and milk- Were you aware?

Options
I picked some blueberries this afternoon and was looking forward to putting them in my smoothie tomorrow. I use a basic recipe but I decided I would look online to see if anything more interesting sounded good. I was so surprised to find out to get the maxium benefit of blueberries you shouldn't mix them with milk. One website even mentioned whey or casein protein powders.

Was anyone else aware of this? This is so disappointing to me, because I love blueberries in my smoothies.

*************************************************************************************************************************************************

http://www.realage.com/health-tips/boost-benefits-of-blueberries

"Why? Because a recent study revealed that combining blueberries and milk in the same meal could block your body's absorption of the antioxidant goodness in the berries."

**************************************************************************************************************************************************

http://www.allstarhealth.com/blog/health-nutrition-science-news/blueberries-and-milk-dont-mix-study/

"Find out why you probably don't want to mix blueberries with milk or milk proteins like whey or casein.

Here’s a study we wish they’d have done a long time ago. As you may know, blueberries are one of the most, if not THE most antioxidant-rich fruits in the human diet due to their high polyphenol content."

**************************************************************************************************************************************************

http://www.beinghealthy.tv/archives/study_blueberry_milk/

Study:
Scientists from the National Institute of Research for Diet and Nutrition in Rome, Italy were interested in finding out what happens to the antioxidant activity of blueberries when milk is consumed with them. The study involved eleven healthy participants who were asked to consume either 200g of blueberries with 200ml of water or 200g of blueberries with 200ml of whole milk. Blood samples were collected prior to consumption and at one, two and five hours post consumption. After studying the samples, the scientists concluded that the antioxidant activity of blueberries was impaired significantly when milk was ingested.

Replies

• curryinahurry
    curryinahurry Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    trow half in your shake and toss the rest in whole once blended, problem solved

also i wouldnt stress about things like this, it is a great snack either way honestly
  • trybabytry
    trybabytry Posts: 181
    Options
    Use almond milk, or soy?
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    This from a study of 11 - am I right? - ELEVEN - subjects?

Pfff. Ignore. Continue to eat blueberries however you like.
  • bserwack
    bserwack Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Had no idea! I put them on top of my multigrain cheerios with 1% milk most mornings!! Maybe I should use soy or almond milk...
  • doggiesnot
    doggiesnot Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Interesting! Thanks for sharing.
  • jessicae1aine
    Options

Pfff. Ignore. Continue to eat blueberries however you like.

^This chick. She's smart.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options

0.jpg
  • faefaith
    faefaith Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Almond milk is super yummy and I hear the vanilla flavor tastes like rice crispy treats!!! :happy:
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Do it anyway.
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I also read a study once that said diet soda could be counted toward your daily water consumption because it's liquid. meh, I'm going to continue to put blueberries in my smoothies.
  • melaniecheeks
    Options
    Awww Jessica - I luv you!
    :love:
  • melaniecheeks
    Options
    This should probably go somewhere else, but when someone tells you something, or you read anything, or hear anything, always ask yourself:

WHO is telling me this?
    WHY are they telling me this?
    and why are they telling me this NOW?