Running, toenails, and shoes...oh my!

Options
lizlo76
lizlo76 Posts: 7 Member
As repulsive as this may sound, yes, my toenail bruised and is begging to be pulled off. I refuse.:sad: I've done everything, including the next size shoe up and chopping off of my toenails, it is still happening. Am I running wrong? Am I too fat to run? Wtflip is going on? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!:happy:

Replies

• miamimanni
    miamimanni Posts: 23
    Options
    Never had anything like that happen to me.

I got a good pair of sneakers that are old and really should be cleaned, but they are perfect for any cardio. If you already tried the next shoe up, I'm not sure if you'll find another real solution. Maybe it's the type of shoe, try running shoes from your local sports store =/

Other than that, personally I like the stair master much more than running. Maybe time for a different exercise =)
  • nwhitley
    nwhitley Posts: 619
    Options
    Sounds like the shoe's toe box is too small. When you run, your foot slides to the front and if the shoe is too small it will hit and bruise your nail. Even if you increased the size of the shoe, that particular style and width may not be the right size for your foot. My suggestion would be go to a running store and get professionally fitted for a running shoe. You should go in the evening (your feet swell during the day) so that you can make sure you get the right size.

As for cutting it off, you actually don't have to. Depending on how much of your nail is left, your doctor can add a tip to your nail and when it grows out you can cut the tip off and sometimes it will fall off on it's own.

Good luck and happy running!
  • JingleMuffin
    JingleMuffin Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    i actually bruised my too hurt like heck for the first two days but it got way better. now its just a mark on may nail and growing out
  • ladyark
    ladyark Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    In May when i started walking alot , the shoes i wore caused my 2nd toe to keep hitting the top of my shoe. It ended up with a blood blister under the nail. When i popped it the damage was done...it just now finally came off all the way ( i pulled some) and there is a tender , thin nail in its place. That one looks a little bruised too but, maybe because its new.

It happens to alot of people especially ones that log alot of miles. There are so many opinions on why and how to stop it. Check out livestrong.com there is alot about it there.
  • Donnaovercomer
    Donnaovercomer Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    when I first started run last year I had a toenail bruise and fall off. 2 weeks before my first race I got a pair of "running shoes" and it has not happened since. did you get your shoes from a fitness store where they will check your feet in the shoes or did you pick them out yourself?
  • d5d14m66
    d5d14m66 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    A clerk at the running store told me to buy running shoes a whole size bigger than everyday shoes, to give plenty of room for the toesies. If they fit well everywhere else, your foot shouldn't slide forward.

This is interesting, but don't read the DIY tips at the end if you're super squeamish. :frown:

http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/injury_archives/black_toe.html
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    This happened to me once in college, but I figured it was a fluke. That is, until recently when I started upping my mileage. I have long slender toes and my second toe is longer than my big toe. That toe (on both feet) is almost ALWAYS bruised after running,, and even after working in my work boots all day. When I started upping my mileage, the toenail bruised to a brown color (on both feet) and they both came off completely last night. I wear Mizunos that I had fitted at a running store, and I don't feel my toes hitting the front of my shoes while running. I believe the length of my toes makes them actually bend at the second joint when my foot rolls forward, which puts a ton of pressure on just the tip of the toe and causes the bruising.

I'm pretty sure I'm doomed to have painful toes and toenails falling off for the rest of my running days.