calories too low on mfp

Options

Replies

• ArmyRD
    ArmyRD Posts: 24
    Options
    Okay, so you said to multiply my desired weight by 11.36? So 150x11.36 is 1704, correct? And with eating that I could lose weight to get to 150? UGH... feeling extremely ignorant. What is a Healthy loss? is two lbs too much a week?

Yes you are correct with the calculations. However, one more thing to consider is your 'goal weight' as compared to your 'current weight'. If the difference is too drastic, you may not be able to maintain it. So having smaller interrim goals may be better.

For example: actual weight = 250# x 11.36 = 2840kcals daily; goal weight = 150# x 11.36 = 1704kcals daily. A difference of 1136 calories. With that much of a drop, there is a risk of constant hunger, which can lead to bing eating.

Instead, start with a goal weight of 200# x 11.36 = 2272, a difference of 568 calories. This range may be more 'livable'. Once the goal of 200# is reached, then go for the desired goal - 150#. The difference in calorie needs between 200# and 150# is 568 calories.

Healthy weight loss is not fast but is more likely to remain permanent because you are making gradual changes over time. Plus losing the weight at a slower rate (3-8#/month) is more apt to lead to fat loss, not muscle loss.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    My whole point is "why does no one besides MFP forumites, not even the MFP plan itself, use BMR as the floor if it's some magic number that it's a bad idea to eat below?" It's because it's not. 1200 is considered the value people should eat above.

That myplate site isn't recommending 2000 for me, but you're right, it's giving a high weight loss recommendation. It's suggesting 1800 for me. I would lose about a pound a month at that. I really don't think most Americans are going to bother tracking every bite for a pound a month. I think it's giving your maintenance calorie level estimate at a healthy BMI. They do say there most women should eat around 2000 for maintenance.

Almost all formulas for calorie recommendations are based on the BMR. It's just that it is part of the formula used so it is not specifically stated. When you use a website to calculate your calorie needs, you typically enter a height, weight, and age. These are the things that determine your BMR. Then you also are asked how 'active' you are. This is the activity factor which is multiplied by the BMR. But when you click 'enter' all you see is a number - the calories it recommends. You do not see the details of the calculations.

BMR is simply your basic metabolic rate for normal body functions. That is how many calories your body requires to maintain a specific weight and nutritional level each day. The more active you are, the more calories your body burns (activity factor). But to lose weight, you have to consume less calories (from food) than your body burns (exercise). So maintaining a daily dietary intake at or around the recommended BMR can help you lose weight if you are more active rather than sedentary.

I understand what BMR is. I know it's used in calcs to arrive at a calorie goal. You are missing my point. My BMR is well above 1200. For many women it is. The recommendation for adequate nutrition is to eat at least 1200 (not BMR). Even you said so-

"A female body requires a minimum of 1200 calories daily to prevent serious deficiencies;"

There is not a single authority that uses BMR as a floor for intake. No one has yet pointed one out. Of course they use it as a basis to calc your deficit. But no one uses it as a floor for intake.
  • mcarter99
    Options

Your reply to what you want to reply to. You asked a dietician her opinion, and she does inform you about the importance of BMR in weight loss, and you keep on going. Drop it. Honestly. Worry about your weight loss and not others. People who tell others about BMR are trying to help people do it in a healthy and sustainable way. I am not saying that you are pushing 1000 calories a day. but geez. You are so avidly against it. Be done.

I will never drop it. You guys are so convinced of this one misconception that you won't even listen to me. I'm not worried about anyone's weight loss. I'm worried about the spread of misinformation. I'm not against people eating at whatever level they choose. That's the difference. The "you can't eat below your BMR" people are the ones that insist their way is the only safe way. Many of us can eat well below our BMR but over 1200. It's not dangerous, it's not starvation, it's not crash dieting.

The importance of BMR in weight loss is in estimating your BURN. Your intake is a whole separate thing. That's why no authority ties those two concepts together.

Please find the ignore function if you're tired of hearing me.
  • Brizoeller
    Brizoeller Posts: 182 Member
    Options

Your reply to what you want to reply to. You asked a dietician her opinion, and she does inform you about the importance of BMR in weight loss, and you keep on going. Drop it. Honestly. Worry about your weight loss and not others. People who tell others about BMR are trying to help people do it in a healthy and sustainable way. I am not saying that you are pushing 1000 calories a day. but geez. You are so avidly against it. Be done.

I will never drop it. You guys are so convinced of this one misconception that you won't even listen to me. I'm not worried about anyone's weight loss. I'm worried about the spread of misinformation. I'm not against people eating at whatever level they choose. That's the difference. The "you can't eat below your BMR" people are the ones that insist their way is the only safe way. Many of us can eat well below our BMR but over 1200. It's not dangerous, it's not starvation, it's not crash dieting.

The importance of BMR in weight loss is in estimating your BURN. Your intake is a whole separate thing. That's why no authority ties those two concepts together.

Please find the ignore function if you're tired of hearing me.

No I don't let others bother me that much or get me that worked up. I choose not to ignore anyone on here. And I also choose not to post 100 times about the same thing! But good luck on your weight loss journey!!
  • mcarter99
    Options
    This thread is ABOUT this topic. It's a discussion. If you have something to add besides being forum police, please do post it all you like!
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    Okay, so you said to multiply my desired weight by 11.36? So 150x11.36 is 1704, correct? And with eating that I could lose weight to get to 150? UGH... feeling extremely ignorant. What is a Healthy loss? is two lbs too much a week?

Yes you are correct with the calculations. However, one more thing to consider is your 'goal weight' as compared to your 'current weight'. If the difference is too drastic, you may not be able to maintain it. So having smaller interrim goals may be better.

For example: actual weight = 250# x 11.36 = 2840kcals daily; goal weight = 150# x 11.36 = 1704kcals daily. A difference of 1136 calories. With that much of a drop, there is a risk of constant hunger, which can lead to bing eating.

Instead, start with a goal weight of 200# x 11.36 = 2272, a difference of 568 calories. This range may be more 'livable'. Once the goal of 200# is reached, then go for the desired goal - 150#. The difference in calorie needs between 200# and 150# is 568 calories.

Healthy weight loss is not fast but is more likely to remain permanent because you are making gradual changes over time. Plus losing the weight at a slower rate (3-8#/month) is more apt to lead to fat loss, not muscle loss.

So, just to clarify -
    smaller deficts are more sustainable, because
    you're less likely to give up,
    you're less likely to binge

losing at a slower rate is healthier, as you're more likely to lose fat and not muscle, and it's an easier transition to maintenence.

and you are a dietician, not a random keyboard warrior.

Cool :flowerforyou:
  • Brizoeller
    Brizoeller Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    As for the original post, I think you have to eat what you feel comfortable with. Some people enjoy 1200 calories, others enjoy 2000. Some gain at 1200. Some lose a lot of weight. Work with your body, not against it. And you will figure out what's best for you!! And good luck!
  • LadyL2012
    LadyL2012 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Check this out. This may help you.

Good luck!

Blimey according to that I need to be eating 1500 a day to acheive maximum fat loss at a 25% calorie reduction. At that rate it says I would lose 54lbs a year.

I am currently doing no more than 1200 (normally less) and am losing at a rate of 2lbs per week? Is that right or should I be eating more, considering my goal 1s 140lbs (from 161 - current 157) by September.
  • mcarter99
    Options
    All I'm asking is for people to quit telling people, "You CAN'T eat below your BMR". They're confused enough with MFP's plan. It has a floor of 1200. They CAN CHOOSE to lose more conservatively. They do not HAVE TO CHOOSE TO.

I've seen it posted here over and over that if you eat below your BMR you are going into starvation mode, your body is eating its organs, your body is eating its lean mass, as soon as you get to goal you will regain immediately.

I just want that part to stop. It's not about what plan is best for you. This isn't a contest. Just stop with the blatant myths and lies, if you're one of the culprits.

Signed- Random Keyboard Warrior :flowerforyou: :heart: :laugh:
  • josiereside
    josiereside Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    bump for future reading
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    All I'm asking is for people to quit telling people, "You CAN'T eat below your BMR". They're confused enough with MFP's plan. It has a floor of 1200. They CAN CHOOSE to lose more conservatively. They do not HAVE TO CHOOSE TO.

I've seen it posted here over and over that if you eat below your BMR you are going into starvation mode, your body is eating its organs, your body is eating its lean mass, as soon as you get to goal you will regain immediately.

I just want that part to stop. It's not about what plan is best for you. This isn't a contest. Just stop with the blatant myths and lies, if you're one of the culprits.

But, does it really matter? Even if you think it is scientifically wrong, it's not dangerous, it's not unhealthy, and it's a very good way of losing fat.

If you were to ask me which way I thought was more unhealthy,
    a) their moderate deficit for fat loss, or
    b)your 1000 calories defict for all,
    I'd have to say yours, due to the large defict, and lean muscle loss.
    I think the 1000 calories and 2lb is actually right for larger people, but being a numbers gal I prefer the % to the absolute numbers, but that's just my preference.

I know you claim up there that people aren't lstening to you, but that isn't true. People have read what you have to say, and then read what other people have to say. and then made you're own mind's up.

Just because they don't agree with you on the 1000 calorie defict doesn't mean they are wrong, it just means they have different goals.

Yours is to drop the weight as quickly as possible, theirs is to drop at a more gentle rate and maintain as much lean mass as possible.

2 different ways of thinking and eating, but hopefully both ways of getting to an ultimate goal of an ideal weight/composition.

As for MFP's plan, yes, it is confusing, if I followed it I would be eating 1200 on non exercise days, but a lot higher on exercise days. I can't cope with the inconsistency so prefer the TDEE minus defict method.

But Even though I don't follow it's methods, I do think it's tracking system is fab.

The Forums aren't bad either. :drinker:
  • ggcat
    ggcat Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I eat 980 a day. To loose a pound a week I cut 500 calories of my BMR a day. I also take my calculated BMR and only use 80% of it as my BMR. If you have to loose weight then you need to cut %20 out of your estimated BMR. I saw that in a documentary not to long ago. So far it has been working for me. As soon as I reach my weight goal, I will add 500 back to my daily BMR (but still only %80 of my calculated BMR for myself)....I had to manually update my settings for the 980 calories a day on MFP.
  • zaithyr
    zaithyr Posts: 482 Member
    Options

But, does it really matter? Even if you think it is scientifically wrong, it's not dangerous, it's not unhealthy, and it's a very good way of losing fat.

If you were to ask me which way I thought was more unhealthy,
    a) their moderate deficit for fat loss, or
    b)your 1000 calories defict for all,
    I'd have to say yours, due to the large defict, and lean muscle loss.
    I think the 1000 calories and 2lb is actually right for larger people, but being a numbers gal I prefer the % to the absolute numbers, but that's just my preference.

I know you claim up there that people aren't lstening to you, but that isn't true. People have read what you have to say, and then read what other people have to say. and then made you're own mind's up.

Just because they don't agree with you on the 1000 calorie defict doesn't mean they are wrong, it just means they have different goals.

Yours is to drop the weight as quickly as possible, theirs is to drop at a more gentle rate and maintain as much lean mass as possible.

2 different ways of thinking and eating, but hopefully both ways of getting to an ultimate goal of an ideal weight/composition.

As for MFP's plan, yes, it is confusing, if I followed it I would be eating 1200 on non exercise days, but a lot higher on exercise days. I can't cope with the inconsistency so prefer the TDEE minus defict method.

But Even though I don't follow it's methods, I do think it's tracking system is fab.

The Forums aren't bad either. :drinker:

I agree with this. I calculate my calorie goals elsewhere and it's higher than what MFP has it set at and I'm losing more weight than I should according to MFP calculations (the "if every day were like today, you would weigh XXX in 5 weeks"). So the other calculating method (from scoobysworkshop.com), I have found to be more accurate and I'm 1000x happier on. Why would you WANT to cut your calories extremely low if you don't HAVE to? I know I get crabby when I'm hungry! ;)
  • zaithyr
    zaithyr Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I eat 980 a day. To loose a pound a week I cut 500 calories of my BMR a day. I also take my calculated BMR and only use 80% of it as my BMR. If you have to loose weight then you need to cut %20 out of your estimated BMR. I saw that in a documentary not to long ago. So far it has been working for me. As soon as I reach my weight goal, I will add 500 back to my daily BMR (but still only %80 of my calculated BMR for myself)....I had to manually update my settings for the 980 calories a day on MFP.

That's typically 20% from your TDEE or your MAINTENANCE calories that they recommend- not your BMR (which is the number of calories your body needs to function). As long as you are eating less than what it would take to maintain your weight, you will lose weight. That's very little calories!
  • Maximumresults
    Options
    what different sites "suggest" is not fact, they are simply estimates or staring points...every person is diffferent in so many ways from how much muscle they carry, to their level of activity, to their metabolic rates...you must find your own that works for you..typically if you are losing more than 2 lbs per week, you are losing very fast and sacrificing a lot of muscle...all depends on what your goals are, I say focus on being healthy overall
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    how does age factor into all of this?

Oh good grief! That calculator says I should be eating almost 1700 cal a day to lose weight! That just seems so wrong...

** it also says you have to recalculate your numbers as you go down in weight.

How many calories did you used to eat before you paid attention?

Does 1700 sound high compared to that figure?
  • mcarter99
    Options
    It does really matter because people are confused. Adding the misinformation that "you can't eat below your BMR" just confuses them more. MFP tells them 1200 is a safe lower boundary, which it is. That part is pretty accepted (everywhere but here).

I think it's terrific that everyone wants to help. But we ought to phrase opinions as opinions, not as facts. And especially not as facts couched in doomsday scenarios like "you will gain it all back".

I'm not advocating anything except that the myths about dangers surrounding BMR stop. I'm not "all for" deep deficits or anything.

Thanks for listening and trying to understand, those that did.

And remember, on the internet we're all random keyboarders. You might be surprised at the made-up tickers, photos, claims, credentials, etc.
  • ArmyRD
    Options
    I think you are assuming that people who talk about not eating below your BMR as saying that you won't lose weight if you do. That isn't what they are saying (and if it is, they are misunderstanding the principle). The idea is that when you eat below your BMR consistently, you slow your metabolism. That doesn't effect weight loss directly in the beginning because, as you said it's basically making sure that your calories in are fewer than your calories out. The idea is that by eating more and losing more slowly, you are less likely to fall into Yo-yo dieting and give up because you are seeing results but not feeling hugely deprived.

Once the weight is lost and the person naturally increases their caloric intake, their weight should remain fairly stable for two reasons: 1)They've been eating somewhere between 1600-2000 calories all along so they don't have a "yay I can eat again!" reaction and 2) by staying above their BMR they never slowed their metabolism, so they can always eat at or just above their BMR rather than having to stick near the amount they at on their diet.

That's the theory any way. Does it work? Sure, because the basic negative trend is maintained. It might work more slowly, but because the change isn't so drastic a person might be more likely to stick to it. Both ways will work in the short and intermediate term. The idea is how eating habits effect the long term.

As for the website sources: it will take awhile for them to change their standards because it often takes physicians a bit to change their standards and because they have to make general statements that apply to many people. The USDA myplate website (it replaced the food pyramid last year) has a calculator and gives recommendations that are much more in line with the "eating more and losing more slowly" theory. It gave me a recommendation of 2000 calories per day, which is right in line with what I have MFP set to based on numbers given to me by fat2fit radio.

I hope that helps everybody.

I do understand. They're saying it's dangerous to eat under BMR. I'm saying it's not dangerous unless your BMR is under 1200.

I think that USDA myplate site is recommending 2000 calories per day for all women for maintenance, isn't it? Just as a general rule?

The USDA uses averages for estimating calorie needs.

" Based on Estimated Energy Requirements (EER) equations, using reference heights (average) and reference weights (healthy) for each age-gender group. For children and adolescents, reference height and weight vary. For adults, the reference man is 5 feet 10 inches tall and weighs 154 pounds. The reference woman is 5 feet 4 inches tall and weighs 126 pounds."

This statement was taken from the USDA '2010 Dietary Guidelines for Americans' on a chart of recommended calorie ranges based on age, sex, and exercise intensity.

Chapter 2 of the guidelines is very helpful for explaining nutritional needs and how and why they are determined.
  • ArmyRD
    Options

So, just to clarify -
    smaller deficts are more sustainable, because
    you're less likely to give up,
    you're less likely to binge

losing at a slower rate is healthier, as you're more likely to lose fat and not muscle, and it's an easier transition to maintenence.

and you are a dietician, not a random keyboard warrior.

Cool :flowerforyou:

yes to all of the above with one exception. We actually prefer the spelling 'dietitian' rather than 'dietician'. Minor technicality, I know but important to us. This is actually a very useful tool in determining a 'dietitian' vs. 'a random keyboard warrior'!

thanks
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options

I think you've combined some stuff in a rather odd way.

Cutting 20% off your TDEE (not your BMR!) is one way to determine a cut.
    Cutting 500/day off to lose weight is another way.

You aren't supposed to do both at once -- that's why you're ending up with such a tremendously low calorie number.

Will it work? Probably, if you just want to get the weight off fast -- LCD tend to do that.