does anyone have some easy low cal treats for baby shower

Options
I am hosting the shower tomorrow and want something low cal besides my veggie tray, either appy or cookie/ square ideas are appriciated, I don' have much time so need something simple please help!

Replies

• kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Fruit ambrosia would be nice.

I sub greek yogurt for the sour cream and use less marshmallows and coconut. You can also add 1/2 packet of sugar free pistachio pudding mix (just the mix) for added flavor and a pretty light green color.

Something like this recipe - http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Quick-Ambrosia-Fruit-Salad

I don't use banana or grapes (although you certainly can), just mandarin orange slices, pineapple chunks, and a few marciano cherries. :)
  • TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Check out skinnytaste.com
  • mrswarrick
    mrswarrick Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'd be mindful using any thing with fake sugars in it...when I was pregnant the doctors said to stay away from it...some moms don't mind and still eat it afterwards. You know the mom, so you'd know how she feels on the subject. I made these little cheesecake cupcakes and just halved the sugar in it. Look up low carb cheesecake cupcakes. You have to make them in the foil cupcake liners and then you drop a little dollop of jam on the top- delish! My babyshower mom was gestational diabetic so we had to keep the carbs/sugars down for her treats.
    Fruits with a little yogurt sauce could be nice too.
  • cassblue21
    cassblue21 Posts: 207
    Options
    Pita chips with a variety of hummus, fruit tray, veggie tray, and if you want to do cupcakes you can make mix a can of pumpkin and some chocolate chips into a chocolate cake mix(plus 3/4 cup of water) and you have a low calorie cupcake! And its SO GOOD! Have water and tea or coffee instead of punch... ummm nuts are always a nice addition to have, you can get a big bag of almonds or something. :) Good luck!
  • Justacoffeenut
    Justacoffeenut Posts: 3,808 Member
    Options
    one challenge I am on someone posted http://www.emilybites.com/search/label/Main Course Muffins/Cupcakes. Just skimmed it. But looks like something you could do for a party. You could get creative with it.
  • utahgirl247
    utahgirl247 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    someone posted this recipe the other day and it was perfect for 4th of july but i bet you can do the same thing for a baby shower just find pink or blue cupcake papers.

Cheese Cake Yogurt Cupcakes
    r8f7rn.jpg

12 reduced fat Nilla Wafers
    8 oz. fat free cream cheese
    1/4 cup sugar (can use splenda if you prefer)
    1 tsp. vanilla
    6 oz. fat-free vanilla greek yogurt (I used Chobani)
    2 large egg whites
    1 Tbs. all purpose flour
    6 large strawberries (halved)
    8 oz. blueberries (I left these out because I'm not a big fan of blueberries, but it is the "blue" of the Red, White & Blue)

Directions:

Heat oven to 350 degrees

Line cupcake tin with liners. Place a Nilla wafer at the bottom of each liner.

Gently beat cream cheese, sugar & vanilla until smooth using an electric mixer. Gradually beat in fat free yogurt, egg whites, and flour. Do not over beat. Pour into cupcake liners filling half way.

Bake 20-25 minutes (it only took mine 15, but I have a smaller in the wall oven) or until center is almost set. Cool to room temperature and then chill at least 1 hour in the refrigerator.

Before serving top with strawberries & blueberries.

Each one of the cupcakes made the way I made them (without the blueberries) was only 68 calories and tasted just like eating a mini slice of cheesecake!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Is this at the mom-to-be's request? Because if not, she may enjoy some regular, delicious treats. I know I loved indulging at events like baby showers while I was pregnant, especially because I kept it healthy the rest of the time.
  • Hickyvikki69
    Hickyvikki69 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Double Chocolate Brownies Ingredients :

1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    4 egg whites 1 cup Splenda or Stevia (natural!)
    1/4 cup unbleached, all-purpose flour
    1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
    1/2 teaspoon instant espresso powder
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 cup mini chocolate chips (semi-sweet)
    Cooking spray

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8x8 inch non-stick cake pan with spray.

In a medium mixing bowl, using a sturdy whisk or spatula, mix the applesauce, vanilla, egg whites and splenda/stevia until they are well combined.
    Add the flour, cocoa powder, espresso powder, baking powder, and salt. Stir the mixture until it is just combined and no lumps remain.
    Pour it into the prepared pan. Sprinkle the chips evenly over the top.

Bake the brownies for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out dry. Transfer the pan to a cooling rack and allow them to cool 5 minutes. Cut into 12 equal brownies. Makes 12 (1 brownie) servings.

Each brownie has: 60 calories, 2 g protein, 8 g carbohydrates, 2 g fat, less than 1 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 1 g fiber, 29 mg sodium

sorry i dont have pics.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Cut pita bread or soft tortillas into triangles and bake. Serve with salsa.
  • utahgirl247
    utahgirl247 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    this is a tasty 'punch' too. i have used it before. you may like it too.

http://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/crystal-light-punch-74554.aspx
  • looopyloops
    looopyloops Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    What great ideas I love the berry cupcakes, I will be serving a mixture of foods, I think there are a few things here I can include in my buffet. The baby is 2 weeks old, up here we hold the shower after the baby is born, and men are welcome at the baby shower. Thanks to all who posted
  • srpm
    srpm Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    bump

I'm going to need this next month...We were thinking fruit salad, maybe angel food cake.