lunch ideas

Hello everyone,

I just started my summer job- I'm managing a student run office and will be trapped in my cubicle for most of the day. I'm in a pretty secluded area and the only things to eat in my plaza are chinese food and sushi take-out.

So in an effort to save money and be healthy- i want to brown bag my lunch. I think I'll get board of my salads quickly and I try to avoid eatting bread after breakfast.

Oh, I have access to a toaster oven and a microwave.

Any ideas for a easy to pack but still yummy lunches.

Replies

• Hello everyone,

I just started my summer job- I'm managing a student run office and will be trapped in my cubicle for most of the day. I'm in a pretty secluded area and the only things to eat in my plaza are chinese food and sushi take-out.

So in an effort to save money and be healthy- i want to brown bag my lunch. I think I'll get board of my salads quickly and I try to avoid eatting bread after breakfast.

Oh, I have access to a toaster oven and a microwave.

Any ideas for a easy to pack but still yummy lunches.
  • KrisKabob
    KrisKabob Posts: 1,250 Member
    HELLO - same situation! (until a few more places open)

I brought in a bag of Tyson frozen (already fully cooked) chicken strips (not breaded)... I heat them in teh microwave and put them on salads, wrap them in LF whole wheat tortillas with LF cheese and lettuce, or I eat them plain with some veggies. They are quick and yummy!

Keep in mind carbs aren't the enemy - BAD carbs are! If I were you, I'd amend your rule to "little/no bread after lunch". But you can do what you want. Good Luck!!! :wink:
  • KrisKabob
    KrisKabob Posts: 1,250 Member
    O' and you can also kind of "stir-fry" them with the veggies - YUMMY!
  • RKJR925
    RKJR925 Posts: 254
    one of my favorite things is a 1/2 of a whole grain bagel with 5 to 10 slices of turkey and a slice of fat free cheese in the toaster oven. Add you favorite lo-cal condiment like spicy or dijon mustard. throw in some baked chips or a granola bar and you will be good to go
  • 1 english muffin
    2 tbls spagetti or pizza sauce
    4 tbls of fat free mozerella cheese (spelling?)
    put in toaster oven until cheese bubbles.

yummy especially with a salad.
  • ErinRNinMaine
    ErinRNinMaine Posts: 460 Member
    I like to make what I call "Chopped Salad". Grab a can of any type of bean that you like (canellini and pinto are two of my favorites). Drain them into a bowl, then add any combination of diced veggies that you like. I use onion, carrot, celery, tri-colored peppers, broccoli, etc. Sometimes I throw in a can of corn. Drizzle with a little extra virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar and season with salt and pepper, garlic powder and some fresh or dried herbs (I love basil). Full of fiber, and a little different then a typical salad. Also very easy to pack and if you make a large amount, it will last 3-4 days in the fridge.

Whole wheat pitas with hummus (you can make your own lower fat version)

Steamed brown rice topped with steamed fresh spinach. Drizzle with a little sesame oil, salt, cayenne pepper to taste, rice vinegar and garlic powder. This can be eaten cold as well.

Hope these few ideas help!
  • YUM, that chopped salad sounds delicious, I'm going to try that. I needed to come up with some ideas to take for lunch at work also. Lots of fiber in that salad and that's one thing that's needed. Thanks for sharing.
  • ErinRNinMaine
    ErinRNinMaine Posts: 460 Member
    YUM, that chopped salad sounds delicious, I'm going to try that. I needed to come up with some ideas to take for lunch at work also. Lots of fiber in that salad and that's one thing that's needed. Thanks for sharing.

YW, and I hope you like the salad!
  • Something I've been doing is making a slightly larger dinners and cutting it in half and saving it for lunch the next day, that way you have something different each day.
  • mkeithley
    mkeithley Posts: 399
    Something I've been doing is making a slightly larger dinners and cutting it in half and saving it for lunch the next day, that way you have something different each day.
    I do that alot as well. Also, Wal-mart has marinated frozen tilapia and salmon in the freezer section. 2 filets in pouch for 2.78!!!! They can be nuked and are quite tastey. I take broccoli in a ziploc and open it part way and cook it for 3 minutes, steamed broccoli.There is also frozen veggies you can steam in the bag. Me, personally,, I'd try to stay away from the frozen entree things, very proccessed=very bad for you:wink: I make everything the night before so I don't have to mess with it in the morning. I chop up all my veggies and berries on Sunday and ziploc them so I can just grab and go. You will save a TON of $$$ not eating out too:bigsmile:
  • I usually cook a little extra food the night before so my bf and I can bring in some leftovers for lunch. Usually it's stuff like baked chicken or pork, rice and beans. We always pack fruit to go along. We save sooo much money (and unwanted cals) by just bringing leftovers! If you don't have access to a refrigerator, invest in a good insulated lunch bag and some of those freezer cold packs.

I also keep some canned soup, 100 calorie snack packs, sugar free pudding, and Crystal Light To Go packs in my desk at work... not only does it save me if I forget to pack something for lunch (soup backup) but the portioned snacks help me on days when I'm really craving something sweet.

Good luck! :drinker: :drinker:
  • BlackBeltLJ
    BlackBeltLJ Posts: 190
    If you have ever experienced school "Lunches":noway: (and I use that term lightly) you know that I carry my lunch everyday.

On Sundays, i have been cooking up different styles of chicken tenders out of my diabetic cookbook and using them in my salads, whole wheat wraps and etc. I have also found turkey sausages that I cooked in my crock pot tonight (litle oil:wink: ) that I will use. I found just using my cookbook will help me come up with different ways. Also I have support at school from my friend who can't eat gluten so we compare what we are having. I pack my cooler up every morning with my snacks for the day and my lunch.

The only problem I have had is when my teens love the chicken and I have only a little left for the week:tongue:
  • greekgyrl02
    greekgyrl02 Posts: 123
    I like to make turkey meatballs on a sunday...and then for lunch I'll pack those a pita some veggies and some cucumber sauce. Its like your own little gyro but healthy!
  • edleim
    edleim Posts: 81 Member
    I am having a Shara Whole Wheat Pita Pocket stuffed with hummus, spinach, cucumber and avocado. It comes in at under 280 calories and is really filling and refreshing. Since it is so low cal you have room for a nice piece of fruit and a small snack. I tend to pick all day so i like low cal lunches so that I can snack guilt free.
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    1 english muffin

I agree this recipe is freaking awesome and so quick my family loves it.... I use the orowheat low fat muffins and some pepperoni when i want to splurge lol
  • gynuwyne
    gynuwyne Posts: 132
    A lot of times, I'm too tired to cook when I get home from work so on the weekend, I will pre-cook and freez meals for the week ahead. All I have to do, is thaw and heat.
    Some simple lunch ideas are:
    1.Bean and Cheese burro
    2. Spaghetti (I found a soy pasta at Whole Foods that is packed with 23G of Protien and 5g of fiber per serving and 1/2 the carbs of regular pasta at 22g.) Taste great! My 6yr. old didn't even notice.
    3. Soup
    4. wraps
    5. Humus and veggies
    6. Cereal
    7. Rice and beans
  • 5KNohno
    5KNohno Posts: 503
    1 english muffin

I agree this recipe is freaking awesome and so quick my family loves it.... I use the orowheat low fat muffins and some pepperoni when i want to splurge lol
    Hormel Turkey Pepperoni only has 70 calories for 17 slices so you can have it even when you aren't splurging.:smile:
  • zenlegend
    zenlegend Posts: 4 Member
    if you can't brown bag it I like to order steamed chicken with broccolli with the sauce on the side and brown rice from my chinese food spot