Frustration finding a food plan that will work with PCOS

Options
:frown:

I have been trying MFP for several months with my husband now and am running to some serious frustration.
I was diagnosed with PCOS in January and am trying to follow not only a reduced calorie food plan that will help with weight loss, but one that follows the guidelines for someone who also has the diagnosis of PCOS.

I don’t want to follow a fully diabetic eating plan because it limits some of the foods I can have and my body doesn’t tolerate the sugar substitutes.

Can anyone recommend any eating plans or guides that don’t cost $50+ a month or have a GI diet that is full of substitutions?

I love to cook and don’t have a problem making food that is nutritious or filling. I am having a very hard time finding foods that I can get the recipes for an amount that is with in our budget. Especially when I am trying to also prepare the food for my husband, who doesn’t favor eating veggies and fruit and would love it if I fed him pork chops and mashed potatoes every night.

I need to find something that will balance both of our needs, since we are on a limited budget and trying to get healthy so that we can start a family.

-- Any information would be helpful --

Replies

• donaldyoung
    Options
    I just stared using this site a few days ago. But what I have been doing is planning my meals out on the food page in the morning. Balancing what I need to stay within my diet. I know what food I would like to have and I make adjustments until I find a good meal for my family. You can advance the days on the food plan and plan ahead too. This way you can plan your meals for a week(s) in advance. Good Luck!
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I assume that you have IR with your PCOS...that means that you need to eat a lower carb diet to help deal with your insulin issues. You don't have to go Atkins induction low, but the atkins book would be a good reference for you. When I was diagnosed with IR about 8 years ago, I was told to cut my carbs down to 50g net per day ( total carbs minus fiber). When I did that, I lost 15-20 pounds in 2 months, AND got pregnant!

when I had trouble losing weight, I went back to a revised version of my IR diet. I am eating anything I want within reason, as long as I stay under 100g net carbs for the day. SHockingly, it isn't very hard!

you can still make *real* food for you and your hubby...just don't use a bunch of sauces on your meat, make the veggies/salad for you, if you want fruit, go for lower carb berries.
  • Juliane_
    Juliane_ Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I've read online people with pcos use the insulin resistance diet ....look it up on amazon...you'll find more info on it
  • dkgetchell
    Options
    If you want to try to keep a low carb diet, try looking at http://www.marksdailyapple.com ton of low carb recipes for free. There is a large amount of information concerning carb intake and what would be considered a harmful amount, and lots of cheap alternatives.
  • Rory_123
    Rory_123 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Try having some protein with your carbs, and don't eat too many carbs in one sitting (30 g is a general guide) - that might work for you. I have PCOS and it is really trial and error when it comes to diet. I was the thinnest of my life when I was eating a predominantly whole-grain, low fat diet - not a low carb diet. You have to play around and find out which one works best for your body and your lifestyle.
  • raitch
    raitch Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    what do you mean by $50 a month? There are tons of diets that work great with PCOS. Your key is to stay away from carbs, particularly the processed ones, and watch out for sugar. South Beach, Dukan, Paleo, Atkins, pretty much any low carb diet will make a difference for you. What's hard for PCOSers like us is actually stepping away from the carb cycle, because we're so used to wanting them ALL THE TIME. You can do it.
  • jhawk0815
    jhawk0815 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the help.. I just find it hard to find stuff that works to meet what my husband's needs for calories vs my need to cut Tue carbs .. I have some good staple recipes that we both like but can't seem to break the card cycle for both of us, and all of the sites that I have found good balanced recipes or plans for both of us want too much money for our budget right now.