What do you guys think of "cheating?"

Options
2»

Replies

• Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Whatever works for you... but I don't like what some people call "cheat" days. It's not a temporary game or "diet". It's your life. You may choose to incorporate a certain amount of flexibility. You may make mistakes. But you can't really cheat your body; it knows how much you ate, exercised, etc. If the partying and eating you did was within the flexibility you allow yourself, then you're fine. If it wasn't, who are you cheating? Yourself? In that case it was a mistake, try not to make it again. On the other hand, I think it's fine to pick a certain number of days where you have a higher calorie limit or a day off from exercise -- a "treat" day -- again, if it's going to be a lifestyle it needs to be livable.

I wrote a blog entry about cravings: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Robin_Bin/view/cravings-282817. Don't know if it will help you. But I don't see this whole thing as a deprivation. if you like a food, figure out a way to fit it into your life.
  • wookiemouse
    wookiemouse Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    If it's a healthy cheat - ie, I'm craving almonds - then I indulge. If it's not - like powdered donuts - then heck no. It takes a good 2-3 weeks to get sugar cravings out of my system if I binge just once. I don't like to go through that hell on a routine basis - it's MUCH easier to ignore the craving and save myself a lot of trouble.
  • amandainez08
    amandainez08 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Whatever works for you... but I don't like what some people call "cheat" days. It's not a temporary game or "diet". It's your life. You may choose to incorporate a certain amount of flexibility. You may make mistakes. But you can't really cheat your body; it knows how much you ate, exercised, etc. If the partying and eating you did was within the flexibility you allow yourself, then you're fine. If it wasn't, who are you cheating? Yourself? In that case it was a mistake, try not to make it again. On the other hand, I think it's fine to pick a certain number of days where you have a higher calorie limit or a day off from exercise -- a "treat" day -- again, if it's going to be a lifestyle it needs to be livable.

I wrote a blog entry about cravings: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Robin_Bin/view/cravings-282817. Don't know if it will help you. But I don't see this whole thing as a deprivation. if you like a food, figure out a way to fit it into your life.

I like the way you put it! More like a treat to myself for being so good! I had Taco Bell today and then did my workout...I went over my calories, but boy do I feel good! I'll definitely take a read of your blog!
  • DangerJim71
    DangerJim71 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking two weeks after starting my weight loss and have fended off that urge with gum, water, and excercise. That same formula fends of most food cravings. That is not to say I don't occasionaly have some "bad" foods like Doritos. But I always log it before or while I eat it and always enjoy it in rigid moderation.

I had real movie popcorn over the weekend, planned on it, logged it, and basically had it as dinner. Not the best meal I will eat this week but it will not set me back.

Some things I absolutely do not touch: fast food, especially Panda Express which was my drug of choice, and candy (I have had one twix bar and exactly two peanut mm's in three months).
  • MThornburg74
    Options
    I eat whatever the eff I want. I'm not really a junk food kind of person, though.

Pretty much the same. I pre pay for my food when I can though. If I want something particularly high in calories I go do something active until I have enough calories to eat it. I am also eating at a deficit still so sometimes I will use my deficit to pay for a "cheat" meal. Its kind of like balancing a bank account. lol

This ^ is what I do, too! If I know that I promised my girls pizza for dinner on a Friday, I will make sure I banked enough calories to have a piece with them. If I plan it out, I feel better about it. :) I also agree that a treat every now and then (if you can handle just one) is okay. It helps make this a "way of life" instead of a "diet". Now that I understand calories in and calories out...I eat healthy and "smart" and work out every day and don't hate my "diet"! It is just what I do.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    once a month or so, i'll go crazy and eat whatever i want for a day.
    i do low carb, so i rarely have cravings for sweets anymore (well, i have emotional ones)
    its easy to abstain
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    I like the way you put it! More like a treat to myself for being so good! I had Taco Bell today and then did my workout...I went over my calories, but boy do I feel good! I'll definitely take a read of your blog!

Others came up with the term "treat", but be careful about rewarding yourself with food. That wasn't what i was suggesting because too many of us got into bad shape by doing that. :smile:
    Everyone deserves the occasional treat or day off from "stuff" occasionally. I'm suggesting you make the choice and control what you'll allow instead of getting in the mindset that you are doing something so hard you need to "cheat".
    Enjoy your life and good luck with your fitness goals!
  • mcw1976
    mcw1976 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I give myself a splurge day every week or two. I treat myself to some frozen yogurt, piece of cake, or some potato chips. In the long run, my splurge days have not killed my weight loss goals.
  • wreckedredhead60
    wreckedredhead60 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Moderation is the key - we've all heard that. If you can control yourself - go for it. If you can't - then just throw it in the garbage and dump something gross on top of it....I've already dug it back out - LOL. My 25 year old son recently lost 40 lbs. I asked how and he said if I don't buy it, I don't eat it....smart kid, maybe that college education was worth it! And yes, I do believe you need to cheat once in a while - and if you have extra calories hanging out there from the week - why not? Just don't over do it.
  • deadmittens
    deadmittens Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I cheat all the time and I've still lost weight. If I don't cheat, I end up eating too much "healthy food" and regret it.. so why not cheat and consume the same amount of calories?
  • Maximumresults
    Options
    I just plug in the enjoyment food into my plan for the day...for example, today I wanted a Double Stack from Wendy's..so I went and got it, 400 calories into my plan and I remained on track the whole day...I don't look at these things as cheating, particularly when I eat right 80-90% of the time...you can enjoy these "rewards" when you life a healthy lifestyle
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    If I really want something, I will usually eat it - but I don't consider it "cheating", I prefer to call it "life"!

Often I'll buy a smaller size or eat half and throw away the rest. Then I've had it and I move on.
    Or I might buy a big size, eat it all, enjoy it and move on.

Either way, I don't think it's a problem - I'm not planning to make my own life complicated by setting rules about what I'm "allowed" to eat or not for the rest of my life. I'm smart enough to know a healthy choice from an unhealthy one, I just work on getting a good balance.
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I don't cheat because I don't know where it's going to lead. I took a "break" last Christmas just to enjoy the holiday and ended up gaining 40 pounds. If you can do it and get back on track then I guess it's okay. I'm avoiding it for now, though I kind of envy people who can eat whatever they want for a whole day or weekend and still lose weight.

I'm with you. "My vacation break" last June led to more frequent cheats, then a Christmas break, then a downward spiral that led to an 18 pound gain overall. It has taken three months to lose that 18 pounds, and I don't ever want to have to repeat that.

That being said, I live in a home where there's food around that's on my "do not eat" list. I'm often in charge of putting it away, so I've been occasionally eating a bite or two of this and that to taste. So far, I've been able to stop at that, but it makes it so hard to log. I feel like I'm being a bad influence when my friends see pizza on my diary, but don't notice that it was only 1/8 of a slice!
  • kungfuflyer
    kungfuflyer Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    It is all a balancing act and management. It's not cheating if you are achieving your goals. If you want pizza, ice-cream, cheeseburger, donut, etc. then go ahead and have it but know that it can set you back from your goals. However, if you have worked out hard and ate really good for the majority of your week and want some of that stuff then go ahead and have it. As long as you are making progress you are not cheating yourself. If it gets out of control and you start backsliding away from your goals then you are cheating yourself. You should enjoy life but feel good about yourself in the same manner so just make sure that you manage acoordingly so you can eat things you want but still achieve your goals.
  • wreckedredhead60
    wreckedredhead60 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Just read a post from someone comparing being a food addict to any other kind of addict - you wouldn't give any other kind of addict a chance to cheat for even one day - so w.hy do we feel it is okay to cheat with food we know isn't good for us. I guess the difference is you have to eat food - you can not give it up completely/ A piece of chocolate or a piece of cake is not that bad unless you know that it will just trigger you to over indulge. I guess it depends on the person. I smoked for years and quit - but I can light up when I am with a friend who smokes and not have another cigarette for months or even years - I've done it. Can I do that with a piece of chocolate or cake - nope - best for me to stay away for it. To each his own.