Don't Eat Your Salad with a Fat-Free Dressing

Options

Replies

• Lea_8D
    Lea_8D Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Very interesting and good to know! Thanks for posting. Lucky for me, I usually use Annie's salad dressings, which are low-fat (3 to 6 grams/serving) and use canola oil, which is one of the ones mentioned where 3 grams is as good as 20. I will pay closer attention to the type of oil from now on!
  • cabotmommy2003
    Options
    Unfortunately, I love ranch. So I still go ahead and get the regular ranch but instead of pouring it all over my salad, I just dip my fork tines in the dressing with each bite (before I fork up the salad so the ranch is on the fork not the salad) that way I get the taste with each bite and no all the cals and fat
  • kerr2010
    kerr2010 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I learned this trick when I was doing weight watchers and it really works. You end up using a fraction of what you would use other wise.
    Unfortunately, I love ranch. So I still go ahead and get the regular ranch but instead of pouring it all over my salad, I just dip my fork tines in the dressing with each bite (before I fork up the salad so the ranch is on the fork not the salad) that way I get the taste with each bite and no all the cals and fat
  • j2tyco
    j2tyco Posts: 42
    Options
    that is a freaking PHENOMENAL ranch eating tip ladies.. thanks for sharing it.. ---yum yum yum
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Yep, important to get some fat in your salads to help absorb the fat soluble vitamins :)
  • josiereside
    josiereside Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    My tip for salad dressing is to put your salad in a bowl with a lid, add the appropriate amount of dressing, put lid on and give bowl a good shake. Dressing evenly distrubuted on everything!
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    My tip for salad dressing is to put your salad in a bowl with a lid, add the appropriate amount of dressing, put lid on and give bowl a good shake. Dressing evenly distrubuted on everything!

I do this too. Big gobs of dressing gross me out. I just like a thin layer and this method does that perfectly.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options

Try the yogurt ranch dressings (Bolthouse Farms makes one). It is delicious and I really can't tell the difference!
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options

Great tip! Thanx!
  • chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options

This is the case with most micronutrients in foods; they are fat soluble so need some kind of lipid involved in order to facilitate the most absorption possible. Same goes for potatoes, legumes etc.
  • nikkiprickett
    nikkiprickett Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I never eat ff dressing, i've always heard to go low fat or just the regular because theres more sodium and stuff to preserve the flavor when you get the ff/lf things.
  • taylor_lynn
    Options
    I have found some great dressings that are delicious and pretty low in calories/fat (I don't believe any are 100% fat free).

Annies: Papaya Poppy Seed (My current fav, and everyone loves it)
    Annies: Raspberry Vinaigrette
    Newman's Own Naturals: Low Fat Honey Mustard
    Newman's Own Naturals: Light Sesame Ginger (SO good!)
    Light House: Light Ranch (found in the refrigerated dressing section)

I can't NOT have dressing on a salad, but I certainly won't put a fatty, calorie loaded dressing on it either. I don't typically use more than 1-1.5 TBS at one time.
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I almost always use olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Also fat free dressings usually have more sugar than full fat ones.
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I almost always use olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
    same here. I like it simple, and always wonder what the heck is in those fat free dressings.
  • mrse462005
    mrse462005 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    We have been using Walden Farms dressings and sauces - they have 0fat, 0cal, 0carb so they really help get rid of empty calories. Not all of them are great, but with the variety they offer we have all found ones that we can use without feeling deprived.
  • Akious
    Akious Posts: 71
    Options
    I almost always use olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
    same here. I like it simple, and always wonder what the heck is in those fat free dressings.

Sugar. Lots and lots of sugar. As they reduce the fat (fats give it some sweetness) they up the carbs (mainly the sugar). Keeps the sweetness but our bodies tend to treat the fructose that they pack in "fat-free" foods more as a poison.
  • 4myhealth77
    4myhealth77 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I just recently purchased Walden Farms dressing. Not really liking it too much. It has Zero everything, but its just gross. I love my full fat dressings. :-)
  • stepharega
    stepharega Posts: 211 Member
    Options

I like!
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    I'm probably the odd one out here, but I prefer light dressings or fat free dressings (which yes I know are bad for you) than regular. Regular dressings are just too over powering for me. I usually just use a little bit of olive oil and balsamic vinegar or squeeze lemon juice on my salads. If not that, some sort of vinaigrette.
  • bisky
    bisky Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    I love Bolthouse yogurt ranch dressing. 45 calories and gluten free. Creamy and delicious.