Endometreosis diet?

Options
So I was diagnosed with endometreosis about a year ago. Ive recently been having a lot of pain, and been doing some research. Just wondering if there are any ladies here that have endometreosis, and if they are following a specific diet plan? Ive heard of a lot of foods to avoid that triggers the symptoms....

Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks,

Nicole

Replies

• utahgirl247
    utahgirl247 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    my cousin has endometreosis, she has a very strict diet but finds that when she is sticking to it, she does better but it is not always an easy one to follow. She is pretty much on a 'clean diet'

Foods to Avoid:

FOODS TO AVOID

•wheat - this includes breads, cakes and pasta products, all based on wheat - contains phytic acid which can aggravate symptoms of endometriosis. Also contains gluten which women with endometriosis seem to be sensitive to.

• red meats - promotes negative prostaglandins which cause inflammation and can also contain growth hormones

•refined and concentrated carbohydrates - white bread, flour, cakes, pasta etc. made from refined flours. Most of the nutritional value has been removed

• refined sugars and honey - causes inflammatory reaction

•caffeine - found in tea, coffee, soft drinks -increases abdominal cramps and caffeine increases estrogen levels

• chocolate - as it contains sugar which is inflammatory

• dairy produce - including milk, cheese, butter, cream - causes inflammatory reaction as they increase the inflammatory prostaglandins

•eggs - advised to leave out eggs unless you get organic as they can contain the chemical residue of dioxin. Can also cause digestive problems for some like IBS, and may increase constipation problems (they are used as a binder in cooking!)

•fried foods - can stimulate negative prostaglandins

•saturated fats and oils – Foods that are high in fatty acids stimulate the negative inflammatory prostaglandins. Fatty acids are found in saturated fats, butter, margarine, lard.

•soy products and soy protein products - (check link below to read an in-depth explanation why soy should be left out of your diet)- tamari can be used in small amounts

•convenience foods - they contain a host of additives, cheap ingredients and have very little nutritional value

• tinned foods - use sparingly. Certain exceptions are fine like tinned tomatoes, coconut milk and those foods that are part of ingredients when cooking a nutritious meal

• additives and preservatives - increase chemical load on the system

• alcohol - consumes vitamin B which is stored in the liver. Good liver function is vital as the liver will help to eliminate excess estrogen from the body.
  • nicole_lc
    nicole_lc Posts: 8
    Options
    Thanks so much for the information! Man...after reading that Im sitting wondering what the heck I can eat?!?! lol
  • utahgirl247
    utahgirl247 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    cousin just sent me some of her favorite recipes. here are a few that you may find you like:

Chicken with Asparagus and Roasted Red Peppers Recipe
    Serves 4

Ingredients

1/2 cup chicken broth
    1 lb chicken breast
    1/2 lb asparagus

7 oz roasted red peppers, drained and chopped
    1 clove garlic
    1/2 cup chopped tomato
    2 tsp balsamic vinegar
    1/2 cup low fat mozzarella
    1/2 cup chopped onion

Directions 1.Brown chicken large skillet w/chopped onions.
    2.Once browned, add broth and cook (appx 15 mins) until chicken is almost cooked through.
    3.Add asparagus, red peppers, and garlic.
    4.Continue cooking 10 minutes, until chicken is done and asparagus is tender.
    5.Place tomatoes in skillet during last two minutes of cooking.
    6.Sprinkle with vinegar. Top with mozzarella cheese and serve.

Calories: 271, Total Fat: 7g, Sodium: 375mg, Carb s: 8g, Fiber: 2g, Sugar: 2g, Protein: 41g

Dijon Chicken
    Serves 4

Ingredients

1 tbs olive oil
    1/2 onion, finely choopped
    1 clove garlic, crushed
    4 chicken breasts, boneless, cut into 1-inch strips
    salt and pepper to taste
    1/2 cup chicken broth
    2 tbs Dijon mustard

Directions

* Heat the olive oil in a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until the onion becomes tender, about 4 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 minute more.

* Turn the heat up to medium-high. Season chicken with salt and pepper and add it to the skillet. Saute the chicken until it is golden brown on all sides, about 4 minutes.

* Quickly add the chicken broth and stir with a woden spoon to release any carmelized bits that are stuck to the pan. Cook until the chicken broth has reduced by half. Stir in the mustard.

* Serve with Skinny Mashed Potatoes or Rice Pilaf.

Calories: 143, Total Fat: 4g, Sodium: 163mg, Carbs: 2g, Fiber: trace, Sugar: trace, Protein: 27g

Shrimp with Lemon and Garlic
    Serves 4

1/2 pounds of shrimp
    2 tbs olive oil
    3 cloves garlic
    1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
    1/4 cup chopped parsley

heat olive oil
    add garlic for one minute
    add shrimp, stirring occasionally about 5 min
    toss with lemon juice and parsley
    season with salt and pepper

Calories: 70, Total Fat: 1g, Sodium: 3mg, Carbs: 3g, Fiber: trace, Sugar: trace, Protein: 32g
  • toysbigkid
    toysbigkid Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • lulubeans9
    Options
    I have had Endometreosis since I was 14. I am 21 now and have also been diagnosed with severe pelvic spasms. I have found that very glutenous foods give me a great deal of pain. I have found that chocolate will trigger migraines which I also have in association with Endo. I hope this helps!