To Other Binge Eaters

Options
2»

Replies

• graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Done the whole spending a fortune on binge foods then throwing a load away.
    Obviously, I hit a point where I can't fit anymore in, and definitely do not keep it once I am done.
    I have also thrown stuff away while walking around town eating. Sometimes, even with a relatively okay thing like chocolate covered rice cakes. I ate 2 today and threw the other 6 away on my way to the gym. Or I have sometimes bought a packet of biscuits, had a couple on my way home and ditched the rest. It is as if it doesn't have the same impact or taste if you buy just one single cookie or one single item, for me anyway which is really annoying.
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I wish I could eat "bad" for you food and not crave it after! If I let myself have it just once, I start craving it! My dr believes it's because I have a gluten intolerance, which I guess is known to cause cravings and binge eating. So I just stay away from it and avoid eating it.

Yes, my trainer thinks I have that, and I do get stomach issues with oats and a lot of grains in general.
    It seems so illogical to crave foods we are intolerant of. I do know you can do 5 day eating regiments to clear the stuff out of your system and stop the cravings, but I am fairly sure as soon as you ate the food again, even in a small dose, it would trigger it all again.
  • dmcrazier
    dmcrazier Posts: 4
    Options
    I have not totally cut out sweets because if i do, i know i wont stick with eating right. I have to treat myself to a litlle something for motivation.
  • stpetegirl
    stpetegirl Posts: 241
    Options
    I wish I could eat "bad" for you food and not crave it after! If I let myself have it just once, I start craving it! My dr believes it's because I have a gluten intolerance, which I guess is known to cause cravings and binge eating. So I just stay away from it and avoid eating it.

Yes, my trainer thinks I have that, and I do get stomach issues with oats and a lot of grains in general.
    It seems so illogical to crave foods we are intolerant of. I do know you can do 5 day eating regiments to clear the stuff out of your system and stop the cravings, but I am fairly sure as soon as you ate the food again, even in a small dose, it would trigger it all again.

I agree, it's very strange to me to crave things that obviously don't agree with your body in some way! But part of it is just human nature to crave and want what we can't have!
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Sticker charts have worked for me in the past. Its not 100 percent full proof for me but it definately minimizes the amount of binges I have. One thing that is for sure-chocolate chip cookies and cheetohs CANNOT come into this house or I'm screwed :-/
  • Living4Liz2012
    Options
    Hell I eat everything I love...to me it's all about portion control:) I feel if I am on this journey for life..I will make the best of it,enjoy it and have fun:)
  • SKIPPER
    SKIPPER Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I cannot eat even a little bit of foodvI crave....cookies, cake, chipsvetc.,or itbturnsvinto full scale binge....i'vevtried to eat in moderation....just doesn't work......can someone please help me change my weight loss progress on my banner?
  • toysbigkid
    toysbigkid Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    bumping
  • red_road
    red_road Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    when I am shopping I often look at the nutritional info and think "oh well thats not that bad" and did the same when I was on weight watchers, for example a kit kat would be 3 points. But the trouble then Is that if i buy said item, I know I won't be able to stop at one... so if I fancy something sweet, I will buy just a single one of these items rather than a whole packet.

I do the same thing. If I really really want Pringles, I buy the mini-can. It's more expensive, and sometimes that's enough to deter me. ;)

Here is a great list of cravings & what your body really wants!
    127508233169447090_Pts2CpVN_f.jpg
    thats interesting that if you crave bread you should eat protein, no wonder i can never understand my own body
  • red_road
    red_road Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    when I am shopping I often look at the nutritional info and think "oh well thats not that bad" and did the same when I was on weight watchers, for example a kit kat would be 3 points. But the trouble then Is that if i buy said item, I know I won't be able to stop at one... so if I fancy something sweet, I will buy just a single one of these items rather than a whole packet.

I do the same thing. If I really really want Pringles, I buy the mini-can. It's more expensive, and sometimes that's enough to deter me. ;)

Here is a great list of cravings & what your body really wants!
    127508233169447090_Pts2CpVN_f.jpg
    thats interesting that if you crave bread you should eat protein, no wonder i can never understand my own body

Also if this is true wouldnt a multi vitamin help with cravings?
  • elbiekoh
    elbiekoh Posts: 22
    Options
    Sticker charts is a really good idea - but I guess MFP works on the same principle...just slightly less pretty
  • wendyapple
    wendyapple Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I use to have very bad issues with binging. Especially on sweets. When I lived at home with my parents I tried everything - eliminating sweets totally, allowing sweets once a day, allowing sweeting 3x's a week, etc. and NOTHING working. I always ended up binging on them.

Now, that I am out of my parents house I have finally learned how to manage not binging on foods... Do not buy them. I don't keep ANY type of binge food in the house (sweets, chips, granola bars, cereal). And, if I find I want something sweet and I can't seem to get rid of the craving - I will go out and buy one single serving. I usually end up buying a venti mocha light frap at Starbucks and it usually does the trick without feeling like I overdid it.

But, basically, I think you need to find what works for you. But, my guess is that you will need to keep trigger foods out of the house and only buy them in single serving sizes. Hope that helps!

this is what i try to do. single sized portions. i can not have unportioned bags of cookies or anything like that in the house. if i buy anything in bulk it immediately goes into 1/4 or 1/2 cup portion tupperwares. it doesn't always work, but it helps.
  • nrvo
    nrvo Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I am normally an all-or-nothing kind of gal.

When I do have some sort of treat or trigger food in the house, I put it in the the back of the cabinet over my fridge. If I want some, I have to drag a chair over, climb up and use my big pasta spork thing to pull it to the front, take out one piece, place the scrumptious morsel on the counter, toss the package to the back of the cabinet out of arms reach, close the cabinet, put away the chair, and then indulge.

Basically, I make the food such a pain in the butt to get to that my laziness outweighs my desire to eat it. I think I still have a box of Cadbury cream eggs from Easter up there somewhere.
  • kimberly2504
    kimberly2504 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Im at the start of this so my motivation is really high, and that helps. I have been able to have small amounts of something I want- I know better than to try to completely cut out something that I really enjoy because then there is no way I will be willing to do that forever.

On the 4th of July, my husband stopped and grabbed some treats for him and my daughter- Jumbo marshmallows and yummy cookies. Those super jumbo marshmallows have 100 calories EACH, so even though I have an issue with mini marshmallows and stopped buying them at all I was not tempted to eat one of the Jumbo ones because I knew it wasn't worth those 100 calores. I watched them roast and eat with no issues. However, those cookies were calling to me- they were my favorite kind and were so good. So I waited the whole day, and when I realized that I had room in my calories at the end of the day I had one and really enjoyed it. The next day, I had another one because I planned for it, then I kicked those things out of my house so I couldn't talk myself into having more. I was satisfied with what I had, I just wanted more.

I have come to learn what foods I can handle and the ones that I can't. If I can't I ask my husband not to get them or make them go away. I will have a small amount of something I really want and then be done. Knowing my trouble spots helps a lot, and there are plenty of other things that can be around (like ice cream) that I have no issue with at all.