New Runner - Question

Options
So, I've actually been running off and on for a few years, but now I have been serious about it for a few months, including investing in good shoes.

I've been reading up on running, and realized that I should be landing on the ball of my foot - I am not. I land either on my heel or flat-footed. Over the last week or so, I've tried landing properly, but it isn't working, and it does not feel comfortable. Do any of you seasoned professionals have tips for re-training my feet?

Thanks! :)

Replies

• Garrett1234
    Garrett1234 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Barefoot style shoes, or barefoot.
  • Shannota
    Shannota Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I am a beginner, but I read the same thing. When I went to get my running shoes from a real runners' store, I asked the fella about that. He said that you should just run...that some people strike with their heels and some strike with their toes. Apparently, people are just different. He told me not to try to change my natural gate, just run the way it feels right.

Interested to hear if others agree with him.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Check out "Chi Running".
  • Quickster34
    Quickster34 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    It will be a very difficult task to retrain yourself and unfortunatley there arent really any goods tricks, you just need to catch yourself and really focus when you run, and walk, when you walk you will feel like your bouncing if you focus on walking on the bals of your feet so that will help you retrain your body , and running bare foot on the grass wont really let you heel strike since it hurts so throwing that into your routine every once in a while isnt a bad idea, and anohter good quick step dril would be to run stairs or stadiums because you have to project off the balls of your feet or else you fall..

good luck!!
    happy running
  • bridies01
    bridies01 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    The topic of foot strike is much debated. There are hard core opinions everywhere you look.

I was new to running about two years ago and have done a lot of reading as well. What I sort of came up with was that foot strike may matter - if you are getting injured. Lots of people are heel strikers, and run lots of miles, fast, and never get injured. If it is working for you, I wouldn't change it.

Last year I was training for my first half marathon, and I ended up with severe cramps in my calves. I saw a physical therapist who watched me run and suggested I transition to a forefoot strike. I used to be a ballet dancer and am very in tune with my body and executing movement. I simply leaned forward and thought about landing on my foot, with my foot hitting the ground beneath my hips.

Usually you are supposed to transition to a new foot strike over time - as it taxes other muscles as your foot lands different. I just did it cold turkey, but I'm kind of all or nothing like that, it would have been hard for me to run one way some days, or for part of my run, and differently other times.

Anyway, my two cents is if it ain't broke, don't fix it, but check out Chi Running, or Pose running, both techniques for getting you more on the front of your foot.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Well, heel-striking can cause a variety of running injuries including runners knee and IT band problems... Here is what good form looks like:

http://www.newtonrunning.com/run-better/optimal-running-form

Yes, you should land on the ball of the foot and the heel touches down just after the ball. Having said that, I'm slowly switching from a heel strike to a mid-foot strike and it's taking some time. Best advice I can give is to ensure you're thinking tall while running and that your stride is short. The best runners in the world touch down both feet over 90 times per minute. A short stride will keep your center of gravity over your knees so they're not over-extended (which is what causes the heel-striking and injuries).

Good luck!
  • NoxDineen
    NoxDineen Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Barefoot style shoes, or barefoot.
    ^^^

Normal running shoes change your stride. Whether that's a good thing, a bad thing or just a thing isn't something I know enough to comment on.

Try running around a bit with no shoes on. I'll wager you land on the balls of your feet (I sure do). If you're in normal shoes I believe you're supposed to aim for a mid-sole strike (or at least not a jarring heel strike). I do it by keeping my strides short, but when my current running shoes die I'm swapping to the Merrel Pace barefoot shoes.
  • MissNations
    MissNations Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    BUMP Very interested to hear what people say...
  • karadawn14
    karadawn14 Posts: 41
    Options
    I run either in vibrams or nike free runs, both a barefoot running style shoe, and both are incredible. My legs feel stronger and I really love them both.
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I hate to push a brand, as I haven't tried other "barefoot" alternatives, but the Nike Free Run shoes are a god-send. My knee and back pain subsided and my strides feel smoother. You'd be surprised at how differently you will land.

Definitely go out and try several brands of runners that claim to be Free or Barefoot. I didn't have that opportunity when I bought my Nikes but I can promise, you will love the feeling!
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I am a beginner, but I read the same thing. When I went to get my running shoes from a real runners' store, I asked the fella about that. He said that you should just run...that some people strike with their heels and some strike with their toes. Apparently, people are just different. He told me not to try to change my natural gate, just run the way it feels right.

Interested to hear if others agree with him.

He's right. I personally have a mid-foot strike, with the majority of the weight falling on the ball/pad of my foot. My old runners disagreed with that stride and forced me to move heel-to-toe. This ended up being the source of my back and knee strain! Your best bet is to find a minimalist style pair and "just run" without thinking about what hits the ground first. Good luck!
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    ...realized that I should be landing on the ball of my foot...

There really is no perfect way to land. Some runners are toe runners, some have a more mid-foot strike. Trying to change the way you land by consciously thinking about how you foot is hitting the ground is a recipe for disaster. A better plan is to work on your turnover or stride rate. Aim for 180 steps per minute. This has the effect of making you take shorter steps, thereby bringing your landing foot under your torso. This will give you the more desirable (notice I didn't say correct) mid-foot strike.

Also, I would caution against making a dramatic change to a barefoot style shoe in hopes of correcting your perceived problems with your foot strike. Jumping straight into a barefoot or minimalist shoe without taking ample time to acclimate will have you ending up injured. Barefoot running is not the cure all for every running injury or deficiency. Barefoot running is a great tool to use to work on your stride mechanics. Doing 6 to 10 barefoot strides on grass for 100m once a week or so will go a long way toward the development of proper stride mechanics.

Hope this helps.
  • SerenityPrayer
    Options
    Thank you all for your help! I will say that, up until I bought the shoes, I was actually running barefoot. I switched over because my doctor said I needed more support for my knee. Barefoot running lands me on my heel too...
  • SerenityPrayer
    Options
    I tried leaning forward when I ran this evening - that did help a bit. :)