Don't Eat Your Salad with a Fat-Free Dressing

Options
2»

Replies

• slowturtle1
    slowturtle1 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    My tip for salad dressing is to put your salad in a bowl with a lid, add the appropriate amount of dressing, put lid on and give bowl a good shake. Dressing evenly distrubuted on everything!
    This is exactly what I do. I just measure to be sure I'm using a tablespoon or two, depending on the size of the salad. I never liked fat free dressings. The salad itself has very few calories, so I figure I can afford 70-110 calories of dressing I actually enjoy.
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    It's really a trade off. If you're using a *little* oil on your salad then it might be worth it for the small amount of extra nutrients, but not if you're drowning your greens in dressing. Nutrients or not, the calories still count.
  • darrcn5
    darrcn5 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Full fat ranch and Italian for me. That' one area I am willing to spurge on. The dressing makes a salad for me.
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    It's really a trade off. If you're using a *little* oil on your salad then it might be worth it for the small amount of extra nutrients, but not if you're drowning your greens in dressing. Nutrients or not, the calories still count.

A little to be is about 1.5-2 tsps.
  • Cheeta_HH
    Cheeta_HH Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I have found some great dressings that are delicious and pretty low in calories/fat (I don't believe any are 100% fat free).

Annies: Papaya Poppy Seed (My current fav, and everyone loves it)
    Annies: Raspberry Vinaigrette
    Newman's Own Naturals: Low Fat Honey Mustard
    Newman's Own Naturals: Light Sesame Ginger (SO good!)
    Light House: Light Ranch (found in the refrigerated dressing section)

I can't NOT have dressing on a salad, but I certainly won't put a fatty, calorie loaded dressing on it either. I don't typically use more than 1-1.5 TBS at one time.

I love the Newman's Own Sesame Ginger, but my favorite Newman's Own is the Light Lime Vinegarette. It is so good, and makes a great chicken marinade too. I'm going to have to look for the papaya poppy seed!
  • baileybagocrazy
    baileybagocrazy Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I use Good Season's Salad dressing that you have to mix yourself, they provide the season packet. You add oil, vinegar and water and add the season packet. It is 130 calories for 2 tablespoons, 1 carb and 14 fat--but good for you fat because I use olive oil. They have several different flavors, my favorite is Zesty Italian. Hope this helps.
  • SithChicky
    SithChicky Posts: 74
    Options
    I use balsamic vinaigrette
  • MFPBrandy
    MFPBrandy Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    A little fat is good for you -- like the research shows, it helps you get the best nutritional bang for your buck when it comes to eating veggies. Plus I'm not a fan of the extra crap they put in fat-free dressings...and they're way too sweet!
    I dig me some good old fashioned ranch ( on the side for dipping), or homemade balsamic with mustard (olive oil, balsamic, coarse-ground mustard, pepper -- yum!).
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, I love ranch. So I still go ahead and get the regular ranch but instead of pouring it all over my salad, I just dip my fork tines in the dressing with each bite (before I fork up the salad so the ranch is on the fork not the salad) that way I get the taste with each bite and no all the cals and fat

Make your own: ranch mix + plain yogurt (it is best to use one with no thickeners added) and maybe a squeeze of lemon. :) You'll get extra protein and calcium. Awesome dip for veggies.

(Be really ambitious: fresh parsley, dried oregano, dried basil, onion powder, garlic powder, lemon juice, salt, pepper in plain yogurt is a very good low sodium version.)
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    We go through tahini Goddess dressing in this house like it's going out of style. It is high fat and high calorie and high deliciousness, which is why I only need a couple teaspoons for full flavor :D
  • bikinibeliever
    bikinibeliever Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    I want your dog! :smile: .....I'll read that tomorrow.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Make your own salad dressings. It is really easy, and way less additives. You can do 1 part oil, 2 parts acid, 1/2 part sweetener and salt and pepper to start. Advance: finely chop onion, garlic, herbs and spices and add to the mix above.

Here are some ideas:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/643967-easy-salad-dressing-recipes?hl=salad+dressing#posts-9325787
  • jfrog123
    jfrog123 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Lately I have been topping my salads with salsa. Gives it a little zip, and keeps it from being so dry. I used to be a ranch addict, but I don't miss it anymore. If I am eating a salad with berries or other fruit on it I will indulge in some low fat poppy seed or raspberry vinagrette.
  • chlorisaann
    chlorisaann Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I have found some great dressings that are delicious and pretty low in calories/fat (I don't believe any are 100% fat free).

Annies: Papaya Poppy Seed (My current fav, and everyone loves it)
    Annies: Raspberry Vinaigrette
    Newman's Own Naturals: Low Fat Honey Mustard
    Newman's Own Naturals: Light Sesame Ginger (SO good!)
    Light House: Light Ranch (found in the refrigerated dressing section)

I can't NOT have dressing on a salad, but I certainly won't put a fatty, calorie loaded dressing on it either. I don't typically use more than 1-1.5 TBS at one time.

I love the Newman's Own Sesame Ginger, but my favorite Newman's Own is the Light Lime Vinegarette. It is so good, and makes a great chicken marinade too. I'm going to have to look for the papaya poppy seed!

The Newman's Own is the Light Lime Vinegarette is my all time fave too!! SSSSOOOOO Delish!!!
  • 1PoisonIvy
    1PoisonIvy Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    I use Maple Grove Farms of Vermont - Balsamic Vinegarette Salad Dressing, Fat Free, and it has very low sugar.
    I love to have avocados in my salad, so I make sure I have the good fat!!
  • melissast21
    Options
    I second Annie's dressings they are so goodi could never eat "fat dressing" again!