Thoughts on Vegan diets

Options
I have been debating on doing a vegan diet. What are your thoughts? Has anyone else tried this? I wanted to make it into a lifestyle.

Replies

• BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I think the vegan lifestyle is a great, cruelty-free and guilt-free way to live. I wish I had the will to do it. I went vegetarian about 3 years ago, but switched to not eating mammals only (including by-products like gelatin and animal glycerine when I can avoid it) about a year ago. When I was vegetarian, I tried making the transition to vegan, but I just couldn't give up the dairy. It's a big commitment that requires a lot of research, but if you can manage it, good for you.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I second what BrendaLee said... intellectually, the idea of going vegan is very appealing, but I know that I could never make it a lifestyle - I like my cheese, eggs, etc. too much.

If you do decide to switch to a vegan diet, I would highly recommend you do your research and make sure you are getting enough protein. If you could afford it, it would be great to have a session with a nutritionist to plan things out. One of my friends is a vegetarian (not vegan, but she don't eat a lot of dairy) and I know she doesn't get nearly enough protein. With all the packaged food out there, it's easy to eat vegan/vegetarian and still eat junk, or eat waaay too many carbs and not enough of the other calorie sources. Make sure you eat a balanced diet with whole grains and a good carb/fat/protein balance.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I agree about the protein. I eat chicken, but often don't reach my protein goal. I really need to make more of an effort to do that.
  • ali258
    ali258 Posts: 403
    Options
    I was vegetarian for six years (from middle school through some of college) and I found it much harder to eat healthy foods if you don't have a lot of time to shop and cook. It's really tempting to eat a veggie burger and french fries every day, and that really isn't very healthy. I think if you're interested in going vegan, try vegetarian first, if you aren't already. Also, unless you have a health reason to go vegan (like high cholesterol), there's no rule saying you can't incorporate great vegan meals into your day, and still eat animal products for protein or convenience. Except for the past couple days of roasted and smoked Thanksgiving meat leftovers, I still don't eat a ton of meat, and I rarely eat red meat. I drink a lot of soy milk, just because that's my own preference. If you do decide to go vegetarian or vegan, get a good cookbook for quick vegetarian meals so you don't fall into the trap of eating meat-free junk food.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    A vegan way of life is not inherently healthier than an omnivorous way of life. You have to plan your meals just as much, if not more, to ensure that you're taking in proper nutrition while avoiding animal products. You will need to invest in supplements as there are vitamins and minerals that are difficult or impossible to find in non-animal products (like B12--you will need to take this as a supplement). You will also need to read up on combining foods to make complete proteins. If you ingest too many incomplete proteins without the groups necessary to synthesize complete ones, your body will just remove the nitrogen groups and discard the rest of the structure. That's really wasteful and won't lead to muscle repair or synthesis of new proteins.
  • TNTPete
    TNTPete Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Great information on here!! I think it can be done but you need to take the time to do it right. Good luck - great choices out there.
  • kaytbognar
    Options
    A good resource if you're looking into a completely plant-based diet is Brendan Brazier's "Thrive Diet" book. Brazier is an iron man triathlete who also happens to be vegan. While some of his information can be a little sparse at times, it is a good introduction into what things you need to consider when embarking on a plant based diet. It also has a meal plan and a TON of delicious, amazing recipes.

While it's not the be all and end all of vegan resource books, it does serve as a well rounded introduction. Going vegan can be difficult, especially if you are not already vegetarian. You may want to think about transitioning slowly so that you body and you mind can adapt to the changes you're making. It can be easier, that way, to make your changes lasting as opposed to going whole hog right off the bat, faltering, and subsequently giving up completely.

If you do decide to go vegan, be sure to talk to your GP or, if available to you, a nutritionist. I'd recommend getting bloodwork done regularly (every couple months or so) as you make the transition into a vegan lifestyle, just to keep an eye on your vitamin and nutrient levels. It's common to be deficient in B12 or iron which can lead to anemia (B12 deficiency can also lead to more serious neurological complications, as well.)
  • jessicajoy87
    Options
    Thanks alot on the info. I am still just thinking about it. This helps weigh the pros and cons.
  • ELM77
    ELM77 Posts: 10
    Options
    Hello, I just recently started veganism. I have found that there are many misconceptions that people have about certain nutrients such as protein and iron. The fact is, most of us are consuming too much protein (those who eat meat). You can definitely get a healthy amount of protein from nuts and seeds, soymilk including (tofu, soybeans) and other beans. If you are concerned about your iron levels, beans and lentils, dark leafy green vegetables, as well as iron enriched cereals contain adequate amounts. I also use and enjoy soy milk and rice milk as a substitute for dairy. You can also find "cheeses" that melt, in specialty health food stores. So far I have enjoyed being vegan because it forces you to experiment with a whole other world of foods that you normally wouldn't. Good luck!
  • jessicajoy87
    Options
    I'm not worried about protein at all. I don't like "healthy" meat like chicken and fish. i mainly eat red meat and even if it is lean it is not very good for you. I like other sources of protein like, nuts and seeds. The only thing that I am really worried about is letting go milk products. Like cheese and yogurt. Hopefully the soy stuff is good. Thanks again on the comments.