Constipated 2 year old

Options
Any mommies out there know of a home remedy for constipation?
My 2 year old has been constipated for 2 days :ohwell:

~Joanna:flowerforyou:

Replies

• Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Any mommies out there know of a home remedy for constipation?
    My 2 year old has been constipated for 2 days :ohwell:

• sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    We had to actually do a baby suppository on ours when he was 2, it does work. I know...yucky but anything that would help.

Hope your lil guy feels better no one should have to feel that pain especially at that age.
  • pam0206
    pam0206 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Prune juice, apple juice, tomato juice? Will your baby drink any of those? For my two year old, if she's having issues, just about any kind of fruit (maybe not bananas) will help her out.......GL.:flowerforyou:
  • fi-nz
    fi-nz Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Our bubba's had heaps of problems with that right from the start. We tried heaps of water and a tablespoon of corn syrup. The prune juice or kiwifruit were the most effective though. In the end we got some lactoluse from the dr as she was getting constipated all the time - turns out it was her intolerance to gluten though !
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    You can use a thermometer in the rectum or boil to kayro syrup in water and cool off and have her drink it. About 2 tbls to 1 cup water. And then have her drink water throughout the day.
    Thermometer takes a while, but always seemed to work.
    Good luck Joanna!
  • Mireille
    Mireille Posts: 5,134 Member
    Options
    prune juice.
    My neighbors 20 month old daughters is always constipated and she adds baby prune juice to her foods 2-3 times a day. It seems to really help.
    She adds it to her yogurt, her muffins (keeps muffins nice and moist too), dilutes it with water and has her drink it.
    Good luck!!
  • Me_Im_2b
    Me_Im_2b Posts: 165
    Options
    If you'll rub his belly clockwise, it should loosen his stomach up. Just don't do it too much, it could cause diarrhea.

Good Luck!:flowerforyou:
  • skinnydreams
    skinnydreams Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Warm baths, fruits with seeds like berries and kiwi, corn, bran muffins, prune juice or dried fruit...lots of fluids!!! Hope that helps, I know it's not fun....the warm baths will help soften things up a little so when it does come it may not be so hard and painful.
  • ramsam70
    ramsam70 Posts: 37
    Options
    How sad! As a massage therapist I recommend rubbing the tummy, but it might be lower than you think- almost in front of the hip bones. Sometimes you can feel the build up in the large intestine there- if you do push it (gently) and vibrate your hand softly over it. A lot of times you can stilmulate the intestine to get it squeezing again.

Also- peppermint is so good for digestion, so if you have any tea or essential oil add a little to their drink. You can even mix oil with lotion (it is very strong on it's own) and rub that on the tummy. Good luck.....
  • annhjk
    annhjk Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Warm bath (up to belly button) with baking soda in the water. I did that for my son and he pooped in the tub so watch out : )
  • ramsam70
    ramsam70 Posts: 37
    Options
    :laugh: that is very funny......

and very good advice!
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone.
    I've been rubbing her belly but will do it lower like you said ram.
    She just tried going potty but was afraid to push... a little something came out... not hard though.
    I will also try the prune juice... she's been drinking apple juice and hasn't helped.
    She will be getting a nice warm bath very soon.

I feel so bad for her :frown:

• littleone68
    littleone68 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I know this is going to sound very weird, but you know the pumpkin pie filling you get in a can? Give her about a 1/4 cup of it and see if it moves things along. The fiber in the pumpkin is terrific for constipation, some say better than prune juice. An added bonus is that it's good on your cat or dog as well .
  • beep
    beep Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Once you get them unconstipated, try switching their foods to high fiber; sneak Nutrigrain toaster waffles; add oat bran to bisquick pancakes, and fruit like bananas, shredded apple, etc.

My kids have never had a problem with it, because they are used to all the high fiber in the fruit, orange slices, etc.
  • GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    Options
    Prune juice works wonders!

All of us parents have been there...it can only get better!:flowerforyou:
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    My aunt once ate too much chocolate as a toddler and got constipated...her mom made her drink sauerkraut juice. Apparently it really does the trick, but good luck getting a 2 year old to drink it :laugh:
  • GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    Options
    My aunt once ate too much chocolate as a toddler and got constipated...her mom made her drink sauerkraut juice. Apparently it really does the trick, but good luck getting a 2 year old to drink it :laugh:

:sick: that sounds appetizing...not! :sick:
  • BlazinEmerald
    BlazinEmerald Posts: 842
    Options
    I don't know much else to tell you other than what has already been said. My son since born has had cronic constipation. If it is persistent with her I recommend buying Senokot , you can buy it over the counter. I mix it with a bit of milk and he thinks he's getting a chocolate milk treat. IT IS NOT A LAXATIVE and therefore doesnt cause dependency , it is a stool softener just to help em get it out. You dont have to give it daily, just whenever the need may arise. Also at the health food store there is a product called bowel buddies , sounds disgusting I know but its a cookie. 1 a day help tremendously.
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    how is the little princess this morning J?

big hugs to her and you....being a momma ain't for no wimps!!!:noway:

:flowerforyou:
    Ali
  • icupfunny2000
    icupfunny2000 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    My son has cronic constipation .... he is now 7 but has had it since he was born because of being born premature:sick: but what i would recomend is if you go to the drug store you can buy something called lansoyl its in a jar and looks like jelly.... it tastes really good so you can get her to eat it ... its basically flavored mineroil in a jelly form.... the mineroil gets things lubricated so it slides out easier.... and its not harmful in any way (except leaving oily stains on underpants :laugh: ) id give her like half a tsp my son takes 2 tblsp a day... since forever lol