Can I still do 5X5 Stronglifts while trying to lose weight?

So I'm about 2/3rds to my goal weight wise, I've lost about 35kg (77lbs), and I wanna lose another 16 to my goal weight.

I've mainly focused on cardio until about 4 weeks ago when i started the stronglifts program.

Now while i'm getting stronger, and i'm definitely feeling the weight increases, I'm wondering whether this sort of exercise plan is viable for actually getting down to my goal weight, or whether it's slowing me down.

My currently weekly exercise plan is ~

Sunday - 10 min cardio warm up, Stronglifts, 10-20 minute cooldown
Monday - 1.5 - 2 hours of cardio
Tuesday - 10 min cardio warm up, Stronglifts, 10-20 minute cooldown-
Wednesday - Day off (usually just go for a walk)
Thursday - 10 min cardio Warm up, Stronglifts, 10-20 minute cooldown
Friday - 1.5 - 2hours of cardio
Saturday - Usually have a day off, but sometimes I go back for more cardio.

I know resistance training is a lot to do with maintaining muscle, but should I be trying to focus on both at the same time?

Should I slow stronglifts down, and do it twice a week instead of three times? Would be slowly, and allow for more cardio?

Opinions please?

Replies

• docktorfokse
    docktorfokse Posts: 473 Member
    I think your plan is fine. I'm doing Stronglifts while losing weight and it hasn't bothered me yet. Just don't mess with the weights or the routine, as I've noticed a lot of people want to do. Do the program as is, eat at a deficit, and you'll be fine.

The only possible issue may be your cardio. Two hours twice a week on top of weight training seems a bit excessive to me. You may want to consider cutting it down to under 30 minutes of HIIT when you do cardio.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    I've lost weight while doing stronglifts.

I agree that you seem to be doing an awful lot of cardio though. If you enjoy it and are eating enough to cover it, go for it... but it's not really necessary to do that much.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    It all boils down to calorie consumption. Stronglifts, cardio or any other exercises conditions our bodies, minimizes muscle loss (resistance training) & helps us create a larger deficit. No matter what your current workout program is if you eat in calorie deficit then you will lose weight.

However keep in mind that there are some factors that affect our weight such as water retention especially during TOM, after a weight lifting program (our muscles retain water after each session) or high sodium food but those are only temporary.
  • pinkthin2
    pinkthin2 Posts: 4
    YES YES YES! It might slow your weight loss down by a bit but lifting weights will make you LOOK so much better as you loose. Just make sure you dont stress too much on the scale, take measurements! This time last year I was a skinny fat 137 (im 5'8 large frame) I looked very thin but I was soft. Now Im 143 lower bf% and I have around the same measurements but look much much better.
  • dellieve
    dellieve Posts: 35 Member
    The only possible issue may be your cardio. Two hours twice a week on top of weight training seems a bit excessive to me. You may want to consider cutting it down to under 30 minutes of HIIT when you do cardio.

That's my problem I guess, in my head I feel like the weight training doesn't do anywhere near what the cardio does, so I can't get my head around not doing a lot of cardio. I use a HRM, and with my weight training and little amounts of cardio I only burn about 300-400, on my big cardio days I can burn up to 1500cal, which is where my issue in giving it up is I guess.

I'm guessing with that much cardio I may need to raise my daily calories though, at the moment I try and average it every day at about 2100, and don't eat back exercise calories. Averaged out over the week it works out to be about 1500cal a day when exercise is factored in..which is the amount it gives me when I set my goal at 2lb a week loss.
  • nz_deevaa

That's my problem I guess, in my head I feel like the weight training doesn't do anywhere near what the cardio does, so I can't get my head around not doing a lot of cardio. I use a HRM, and with my weight training and little amounts of cardio I only burn about 300-400, on my big cardio days I can burn up to 1500cal, which is where my issue in giving it up is I guess.

I'm guessing with that much cardio I may need to raise my daily calories though, at the moment I try and average it every day at about 2100, and don't eat back exercise calories. Averaged out over the week it works out to be about 1500cal a day when exercise is factored in..which is the amount it gives me when I set my goal at 2lb a week loss.

How much do you have to lose?
  • dellieve
    dellieve Posts: 35 Member
    Minimum of 16kg (35lbs)
  • nz_deevaa
    If you are losing weight at a steady rate now, then keep doing what you are doing. But if, in the long term, your weight lose stops/stalls then you might want to consider eating more. IMO.

The less you have to lose, the smaller your deficit should be.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Yes.

Ditch the cardio on lifting days.
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Absolutely! You can gain quite a lot of strength without ever putting on additional muscle mass, and lifting while you're losing weight will help you to lose just the fat, for the most part, without taking a lot of your existing lean mass with it.

You will eventually plateau in your strength gains in this situation, but that's fine. Switch to a more advanced workout structure (something that cycles between light and heavy weights over the course of a week or two) to maintain the strength you achieved while possibly making some more modest, gradual gains. If you so choose, you can eventually start eating at a calorie surplus to allow your body to build more muscle and progress from there.

Regarding calories burned with weights versus cardio, it really doesn't matter. If you're maintaining a reasonable calorie deficit, then you're eating more food to support all that exercise, anyway. You can cut back on the cardio and just eat less food to make up for it, keeping your daily deficit at around 500-1000 calories (or 250-500, if you're getting close to your goal and need to nudge through those last few pounds).
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Yes.

Ditch the cardio on lifting days.

This, and the weight loss will come down to your diet