Whos got a hula hoop????

Options
Anyone out there got a hula hoop who can give me tips and advice??

Im considering getting one as ive heard they are good for your tummy area but have no idea what size to get???

Anyone with advice welcome

Replies

• AstyPasty
    AstyPasty Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I used to go to hooping classes and have a hoop! We were told to buy one that when it was stood up it reached your hip. It seemed really large but apparently that's the best way to go to get the best benefit. Try and get one that's slightly weighted too.

The proper technique is very different from that used on the Wii! You have to stand with one foot in front of the other and basically just move your hips/waist backwards and forwards.

It's a great way of keeping fit and trimming up your waist. Hope that helps a bit, If you'd like any more info you can message me :smile:
  • MooMooooo
    MooMooooo Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I bought some from Aldi when they had a sale on.

They are all too small, I didn't know that the bigger - the easier - so go big!!!

Up to your belly button when it's on the ground in front of you if you can.

The bigger the better and the easier - the kids use mine because I can't. :(
  • meowstrom
    meowstrom Posts: 37
    Options
    Mine's about 40 inches high? Its a circus hoop and going by something thats as high as your belly button seems about right :)
  • Rachael235
    Rachael235 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Was thinking of a 40" which is just above my belly button height and have seen one with a weight of 625g, are they hard on your tummy?? as have seen one with a foam cover to it
  • lippy1727
    lippy1727 Posts: 53
    Options
    You can get special weighted ones, mine is heavier than normal ones so makes you work harder and better for toning. It also has sections you can add or take away to make it bigger or smaller, the bigger the hoope the harder and better for you.
  • joanrobinson2012
    Options
    Ive got one - it comes to my hip and weighs around 650g. Not hard on tummy at all. It's great fun and definitely feels as if it's doing some good! :)
  • christinastokes3
    christinastokes3 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    You can make one with 2"pvc pipe approx 10 feet and a jointer. decorate it with hockey tape or whatever. It is heavier and easier to use. Got this from a bellydance class. I can work it for a couple of min, with practice longer.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I don't have one but have done the hula hooping on the wii and let me tell you i was huffing and puffing like no tomorrow after a while. It's definitely a good cardio burn if nothing else!!! x
  • LifeOnMars_
    LifeOnMars_ Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    You can make one with 2"pvc pipe approx 10 feet and a jointer. decorate it with hockey tape or whatever. It is heavier and easier to use. Got this from a bellydance class. I can work it for a couple of min, with practice longer.

This. I made my own... I have a few.

I have a heavy one weighted with water that's a bit smaller & I have 2 larger ones that aren't weighted that are easier to use (if you're just starting out)
  • Squeeks70
    Squeeks70 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Okay...I'm sold! I am getting a hula hoop! Wonder if there are special 'exercise' ones at sports stores? Such as ****s or MC Sports?
  • Dot2Dots
    Dot2Dots Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Anyone out there got a hula hoop who can give me tips and advice??

Im considering getting one as ive heard they are good for your tummy area but have no idea what size to get???

Anyone with advice welcome

I do, what do you want to know ??? :smile: I have lost 3" off my hips & waist since I starting hooping.

I would recommend checking out www.hoopnotica.com
  • bryonysten
    bryonysten Posts: 44
    Options
    Definitely get a weighted one. I was never able to do it with the ones we used as kids (plastic ones) but got a metal one covered in foam that comes in sections from Tescos. Much better and I can now do it. It doesn't hurt particularly but you can feel it after doing it for a while. I've seen some very snazzy ones which have ridges on the inside to 'massage' the waist too which I imagine would also work well.
    Good luck
  • ThriftyChica12
    ThriftyChica12 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    go to HOOPING.ORG to learn a bunch about what size hoop to buy, where to buy them, how to get started. i have been hoop dancing professionally for 3 years--it will change your life!!! :)
  • poledancing_ninja
    Options
    Yup, it should come up to your belly button.

Hooping is fun! You can read while you hoop, watch tv... Sometimes I hoop for half an hour and I don't even realise! I used to get bruises from my weighted hoop on my hip bones where it tilted because my posture was rubbish but this improved with practice
  • Tattoos_and_Tea
    Tattoos_and_Tea Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I love my hula hoop! I like to hoop to loud music so i can dance about at the same time. I also use hand weights at the same time sometimes. There are so good hooping exercised on youtube :)
  • AndreaL0918
    AndreaL0918 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Bump....I so want to do this but I've never been able to hula hoop....I guess practice makes perfect!
  • marnet12
    marnet12 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Great for your core muscles. I recommend them to my clients with low back pain!
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Hooping is great exercise! I do it for 30 minutes a day. I just have a cheapy one from Walmart, it was only $3. But it works fine. I'm going to get a heavier one soon though.
  • Blondehelmet
    Blondehelmet Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    All this great advice makes me want one....bad! Thanks guys!
  • anna0478
    anna0478 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Bump...love the Wii version, can imagine the real thing works more effectively though. Great topic!