Your Thoughts on Supplements.....

Options
There's a lot of people that say. you NEED these pills and those pills. These powders and those powders...No matter the cost!! What are your thoughts. and if you are are a big believer in buying any and every supplement I can give you my routing number and you can give me some money so i can buy some protein powder. ha!

Replies

• jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Protein Powder, multivitamin, fish oil and saw palmetto are all I use. Most supplements only help with lightening the wallet.
  • InezRny
    InezRny Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I am a firm believer in taking a multi vitamin. As for those shakes and meal replacements? Sure I would and have tried them but I don't believe in taking them for life. Good nutrition and talking to your doctor maybe even a nutritionist can help in replenishing what you may have deficits in when you work out. It all depends on your actual needs. But I agree with the other post.. most supplements and or shakes aide in lightening your wallet.
  • drewols
    drewols Posts: 77
    Options
    Yeah, supplement industry has gone a bit crazy. With that being said, I do use whey protein, creatine, fish oil, and athletic greens
  • chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Multivitamin if you want, but if you are eating balanced you will generally get everything you need from food.

Only supplements I feel are necessary are Vitamin D and fish oil.

I take Creatine, and a ZMA supplement before bed, other than that...meh.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I think supplements are great.... if you are actually deficient in something.
    Otherwise there is a very good chance you are just peeing them out again and all that money you spend is (literally) going down the toilet.
    I think they are one of the great marketing successes of our time - so many people are convinced that they NEED a multivitamin so the companies make huge amounts of money that they can spend convincing us that we need to buy more of their products.

Having said that, if someone feels that they are better off taking them, go for it - usually (though not always) they aren't at a high enough dose to do any harm.
  • ctooch99
    ctooch99 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    My personal feeling - I notice immediately when I miss taking my supplements for a day.

I take Pro Cap labs suppliments - I take Vit C, Multi, Iron, Omega 3 and Calcium every day. I cannot attest to knowing the science behind supplements, but I can say this:

- Never had a heavy cold since starting supplements (probably a good 10 years now - I am not lying - most I get are stuffy sinuses in winter now)
    - doubled up my daily Omega 3 in January - dropped my cholesterol number 30 points by April
    - Was having knee pain in 2011 - started on Chondroitin and daily calcium - knee pain is minor now (I think weight loss helped a lot in this regard too in all fairness - but if I lapse on the Chondroitin I notice it flares up more during hockey).

I figure if it is a choice between taking Vitiamin pills to have good health and taking Pharma drugs like Zoloft and Avandia - I am giving my money to the good folks at Pro Caps Labs!
  • I_love_frogs
    I_love_frogs Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I take a prenatal multivitamin, fish oil/omega 3 pills, a calcium supplement with Vit D, and fiber. I also take a CLA supplement too when i think about it, but at the very least I take the vitamins and calcium.

Living here in the Pacific NW, Vit.D is kind of important, and I cant chug the milk like I used to sadly. My Dr recommended the fish oil, and the calcium/Vit D pills...and said the CLA is ok if I want to take it.

So I try.

At the very least I get the multi vitamin down if nothing else.
  • laus_8882
    laus_8882 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I take fish oil, iron, vitamin d, calcium, milk thistle with turmeric and a probiotic. I don't get enough calcium in my diet and my iron has been low for a long time as well as my vit. d levels being at near record lows according to my doc, so I feel these are valid. The milk thistle w/ turmeric and probiotic? There's evidence for milk thistle and turmeric, probiotics are a little iffy, but I feel that overall what I'm taking isn't excessive and without justification. Considering supplements are poorly regulated I'm sceptical that what I put in my body is what the bottle says I'm getting. At least with iron and vit. d I can have bloods done to check my levels. I suppose I'll find out in the next 40 years whether or not those calcium pills were all I hoped they'd be.

Still waiting to hear that fish oil is the arsenic of the sea. I'm quite enjoying the fishy burps; they're sort of an extra meal.
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I take the usual daily multivitamin, DHA/EPA (algae for me, not fish oil), Calcium and Vitamin D for bone health, several supplements to help reduce my insulin resistance and few other odds and ends. I keep an updated list of all medications and supplements. It gets printed it out and taken with me it on each visit to the Dr.
  • davidsgirl145
    davidsgirl145 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I would say vitamin D if you live in a state that gets cloudy a lot. Protein powder if you struggle getting enough. A multivitamin if you don't eat your fruits and veggies. Melatonin to help sleep....other than that...it's just a big business that tries to make you believe you need it.
    I'm sure there are others for joint health...but i can't say either way on that.
    If you don't like or eat fish, then take omega 3's.
  • sonny368
    sonny368 Posts: 61
    Options
    I believe multivitamins and Omega 3 are necessary, the first one because the body doesn't absorv all the vitamins that food contains and the fish oil to keep heart in good condition, anyway there's speculation but I repeat it...to my opinion for a body that worksout 4-5 days per week per at least a couple of hours supplements are a MUST:
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    I would say vitamin D if you live in a state that gets cloudy a lot. Protein powder if you struggle getting enough. A multivitamin if you don't eat your fruits and veggies. Melatonin to help sleep....other than that...it's just a big business that tries to make you believe you need it.
    I'm sure there are others for joint health...but i can't say either way on that.
    If you don't like or eat fish, then take omega 3's.

Agree with MOST of this, except for the big business end. I take supplements for other things when I sense my body depleting.

If I go out in the sun, I have to apply sunBLOCK- I am not supposed to be exposed to high doses of sun-
    and because of it, my body doesn't get the natural vit D it needs.
    My dr. said if people who are cautious about sun exposure use the sunblock, it is also blocking the Vit D absorption.

I UP my Vit C levels during cold/flu season to boost my immune system
  • ctooch99
    ctooch99 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    ...other than that...it's just a big business that tries to make you believe you need it.

As someone who worked in the pharma industry I will say this:

a) The supplement industry ain't got nothin' on big pharma in the "take this magic pill and solve all your ills" propaganda - pharma invented it - period.
    b) All the negative "science" put out there about supplements is usually sponsored directly or indirectly by big pharma or people related to big pharma - people who care for their diabetes holistically via diet exercise and supplements are a direct threat to big pharma's market share.
    c) Knowing first hand the scum bags who work in big pharma and how they lie and peddle their poison on the public with no care other than the share price of their stock, I am willing to give a smart. self-made entrepeneur like Andrew Lessman a chance to earn my trust - so far he has - his products work for me - Big Pharma's don't.
    d) This news story from last week says it all for me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fi_Ds2G2ZQI
  • NoxDineen
    NoxDineen Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Depends on the person and the supplement. I get the feeling some are silly, but there's definitely some value to some of them depending on your needs and lifestyle.

Personally I take the following:

- whey (I don't have a huge appetite and getting enough protein from eating means eating when I'm full, plus a chocolate protein shake after a workout just feels like a yummy reward)

- omega 3/6/9 flax and fish oil pills (shamefully I don't even know what it's good for, so I'm guilty of being silly here)

- multivitamin (my eating habits suck, and I am a bit anemic naturally so it's nice to know that I'm not totally boned on vitamins)

- glucosamine (I injured my left knee this spring while running and then promptly destroyed my right knee in a cycling accident the week my left knee was good enough to run, I'm a huge baby about my joints now)

I also used to take Greens+ because I hate veggies and I'd rather gag that down in the morning than not get the nutrients at all. I'm working on growing to love veggies instead now.
  • seamaiden1000
    seamaiden1000 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Well it seems quite perverse that in a land often refered to as ' a sunburnt country' such as Australia we are being now told to check for vitamin D deficiency! Seems that the Slip-Slop-Slap message (Slip on a long sleeved shirt, Slop on sunblock, Slap on a hat) for guarding against skin cancer has been noted so well that Ozzies are now having to be told to expose themselves to the sun for a dose of vitamin D! So I agree that in parts of the world where it may be too cold & overcast for extended periods of time vitamin D may be lacking and so compromising calcium absorption.

On my part, ever since deciding to undertake a calorie restricted, weight loss diet I started supplementing to offset any potential vitamin deficiency. Imagine my surprise when over time my eyesight started to improve!! This suggests that either I was not eating a balanced diet before attempting to loose weight, or in attempting to loose weight I am eating better though MUCH fewer calories, OR/& in taking supplements I may finally be delivering my body the correct dose of nutrients it now needs and/or it is able to absorb.

As we age digestive enzymes and hormones shift their potency and rebalance as best they can. Unfortunately this means to many of us that we are simply not digesting and absorbing our food nutrients as well as we may have once done. I believe that it is generally best to be vitamin supplement free but to also become attuned to your energy and performance levels and to remain open to the possibility of requiring supplement support as needed.

I have a 76 year old friend in need of hip replacement due to cartilage deterioration yet was told by the doctors examining him that his arteries are clean as a whistle in spite his ardent consumption of dairy, much to their surprise. He told me that his mother religiously gave him a tablespoon of fish oil from when he was a child and it became a habit with him as he happened to like the taste! so fish oil it is for me too!

I now religiously add probiotics to my Greek yoghurt if I'm sluggish, take fish oil, an age/gender appropriate multivitamin, and vitamin C. Whilst on my weight reduction I also took vitamin B complex and a liver supplement proprietry cocktail that included St Mary's Thistle. I always mentally tally how much calcium I consume a day and when necessary add a calcium & D vitamin to the mix. Further to this I try and better balance my system with various teas and herbs such as ginger, dandelion root tea, curry (which has turmeric, fenugreek etc), cinnamon etc. as I read up on various topics. So far seems to be working and I'm learning heaps along the way which makes it all the more interesting, a bit like a voyage if self discovery, or rediscovery!
  • RaeannePemberton
    RaeannePemberton Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I get asked this all the time... lots of great responses here. I just wrote a blog about it this week to "sum up" what I tell people when they ask me. Enjoy! http://payfitforward.net/2012/07/big-hitters/
  • TravisBurns
    TravisBurns Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I got this bottle called GNC Men's green. I didn't actually buy it. I got it free when I bought this container of protein powder. So that is the only reason im taking that. The one supplement in pill form I actually buy is fish oil and take 1-3 a day (depending on how well I remember to take them lol)
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    I do not lean on supplements as a general rule and do not much trust these companies to deliver a quality product that matches the fancy label claims. If man makes it, don't eat it.
    So, I am NOT real into supplements. Whole food nutrition is best - no argument there.
    OK, having said that.....:bigsmile:
    I like to keep handy Special K and Nature Valley Protein bars for a quick, relatively healthy snack when I am on the go.
    I also take a daily vitamin pack, baby aspirin and fish oil to cover some bases and keep my yang up.
    And that's it.
    Again, too many of these companies are either delivering junk, or they are half into these pyramid like MLM schemes to sucker people into the tar baby of supplement hell.
    Count me OUT!
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Protein Powder, multivitamin, fish oil and saw palmetto are all I use. Most supplements only help with lightening the wallet.
    ^^^^^^^
    THIS - BING!!!
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    I love vitamins and I do think that they are important.. for me. I take a biotin(for my hair, it makes it grow super fast), fish oils, a multi vitamin and a vit D supplment in the winter.

I do truly believe that the right supplements boost your mental health as well. I started to take niacin, st johns wort, ginko and b-complex which all zapped out a bit of the blues I developed after the last year after a huge life change, it worked like magic and very quickly, too.