Dang muffin top!

Options
Anyone have a good work out to lose the "muffin top"??? The area I want to lose the most weight in and it seems to be the only place I am not losing!!! Help PLEASE

Replies

• Kristena2009
    Kristena2009 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    my boyfriend is an exercise science major and is now coaching and I asked him the same thing because it seems like however much I lose I've got that lower pouch on my belly. He said that the way muscle and fat works is that even though muscle burns more calories than fat, it doesn't take from the nearest area when it does (like your abs wont burn tummy fat and arms burn arm fat) they just eat up more energy which gets metabolized from everywhere. He said unfortunately there is no way to burn fat in specific areas and people who do a million crunches to lose belly fat are misguided. he said the phrase "first to go on, last to come off" applies there.

however if you do ab work and lower ab exercises itll still help burn more fat and your stomach will look better than if you didn't do muscle exercises because of the way you'll carry your weight there. Muscle training is a big thing because it will eat up calories even when you arent doing anything!
  • sgmomma
    sgmomma Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Cardio, cardio, cardio
  • Happymom12
    Happymom12 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    good info Kristens2009 thanks
  • MelsFitLife
    MelsFitLife Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I do Kettle Worx and there are alot or exercises in that program that target that area...mine are gone and trust me I had plenty ! lol
    Feet together dumb bells in each hand...good posture...bend side to side...this is one of the main ones he stresses for that area.
  • nwelder
    nwelder Posts: 1
    Options
    Calmel: the exercise that you described with a dumbbell in each hand and bending side to side needs a correction. I worked with a college weight room trainer and he said that having weight in each hand is exactly the same as having no weight at all, because each side is still balanced. It is better to bend to one side at a time, say to the right, while having a dumbbell in only that hand. Then when bending to the left, hold a dumbbell in the left hand. This way your obliques have to work harder to counteract the weight.
  • JamCubeChi
    JamCubeChi Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Mweider-Like your reply seems to make good sense. Thanks for sharing.:smile:
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    I didn't lose my muffin top until I got close to my goal weight, AND started doing circuit training w/weights. I agree -- targeted exercises don't really work, but overall body work with weights (and I do cardio as well), and trimming down your overall body fat will eventually get rid off that thing. :flowerforyou: If you wanna see an UUUUUGGGLY muffiin top, check out some of my profile photos. I'm hoping it stays gone forever, but it is the first thing to creep back, I have to say.

Good luck!
  • NMandaMarie
    NMandaMarie Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    BUMP (to read later) :D
  • chanson104
    chanson104 Posts: 859
    Options
    my boyfriend is an exercise science major and is now coaching and I asked him the same thing because it seems like however much I lose I've got that lower pouch on my belly. He said that the way muscle and fat works is that even though muscle burns more calories than fat, it doesn't take from the nearest area when it does (like your abs wont burn tummy fat and arms burn arm fat) they just eat up more energy which gets metabolized from everywhere. He said unfortunately there is no way to burn fat in specific areas and people who do a million crunches to lose belly fat are misguided. he said the phrase "first to go on, last to come off" applies there.

however if you do ab work and lower ab exercises itll still help burn more fat and your stomach will look better than if you didn't do muscle exercises because of the way you'll carry your weight there. Muscle training is a big thing because it will eat up calories even when you arent doing anything!
    Quit being so smart! I want to lose the muffin top. Ignorance can be bliss (not so effective but bliss just the same).
  • Miss_Chanelle
    Miss_Chanelle Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Try PoP Pilates...
    Search Blogilates on Youtube... This channel has awesome pilates work outs! Ecspecially one called Muffin top Meltdown! (:
    It worked for me (:
  • ktfitzgerald
    ktfitzgerald Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I didn't lose my muffin top until I got close to my goal weight, AND started doing circuit training w/weights. I agree -- targeted exercises don't really work, but overall body work with weights (and I do cardio as well), and trimming down your overall body fat will eventually get rid off that thing.

Yep...This is what worked for me as well. Stick with it and you will get results. Good luck!
  • NoxDineen
    NoxDineen Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I didn't lose my muffin top until I got close to my goal weight, AND started doing circuit training w/weights. I agree -- targeted exercises don't really work, but overall body work with weights (and I do cardio as well), and trimming down your overall body fat will eventually get rid off that thing. :flowerforyou: If you wanna see an UUUUUGGGLY muffiin top, check out some of my profile photos. I'm hoping it stays gone forever, but it is the first thing to creep back, I have to say.

Good luck!
    Likewise. Reducing overall body fat, increasing muscle, and ab work to tone/tighten (but the ab work alone is meaningless since it doesn't do anything for the fat over the muscle).
  • Bunnybeesweet
    Bunnybeesweet Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    All great suggestions....but you could lose your muffin top TODAY by wearing pants that fit.