"Friends" Who are Looking for Real Advice

Options
chivalryder
chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
Hey all,

MFP is a great site, with a strong community. Everyone is willing to help each other, and are offering advice to everyone else. I don't see this as a bad thing, but it does lead to some problems in the forums.

Every day, someone seems to be asking the same question that has been asked the day before, the day before that, and so on. The forum is littered with redundant threads. For someone who is actually searching for something, their results end up with a cluttered mess.

If someone asks a legitimate question, because there is such a strong community, 20 people start writing a response before the first response is posted. With most of the posts I have made, they seem to go unnoticed.

On top of all of this, most posts are just opinions. They aren't backed by any credible information. Though much of the advice is good advice, any bad advice that get thrown into the mix can lead a new member down a bad path.

With all this being said, I'm planning on starting a series of blogs that will be all about fitness, health, and anything related, with strong information taken from credible sources (I'll cite is all too). Some of it would be my opinion, but everything will be referenced to real sources. I'll aim to make one blog a week, time permitting, as each one will require thorough research. I'll do by best to keep them as unbiased as possible, with information from each side of the fence, so to speak.

If you would be interested in following my blog, or have any friendly feedback you'd like to give, please add me as a "friend" so you can see whenever I post a blog. If there isn't enough interest, I won't bother with the effort I'd have to put into it.

Regards,

ejean86

Replies

• Jayneopopsidoodle
    Jayneopopsidoodle Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Sounds great, completely agree....add me please and update me when you blog :) xHave a good day x
  • patchesgizmo
    patchesgizmo Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    awesome
  • hope76579
    hope76579 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Yes! Thank you for being willing to do this.
  • michellera1188
    Options
    I think its a wonderful idea! thank you for putting out supported facts and advice! it will be most helpful!
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    But at the same time, even credible sources can contradict one another. The topics of health. nutrition and fitness are vast and varied, and even within the most scientific circles there is debate. Ferchrissakes people couldn't even decide if eggs were "good" or "bad" only twenty years ago :)
  • chivalryder
    Options
    But at the same time, even credible sources can contradict one another. The topics of health. nutrition and fitness are vast and varied, and even within the most scientific circles there is debate. Ferchrissakes people couldn't even decide if eggs were "good" or "bad" only twenty years ago :)

I acknowledge and understand this. What might work for one person won't work for another. I'll be doing my best to find all relevant information on what each blog is about, while citing sources, so the reader can make his/her own informed decision on what to do/try. I'll try to avoid "Do this and only this" type blogs.
  • chivalryder
    Options
    bump
  • 21Pontoon
    21Pontoon Posts: 46
    Options
    Sounds fantastic! I'd love to hear more when the blog's up and running x
  • leodru
    leodru Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    i agree on the forums topic - i also agree that alot is opinion - even from the scientific its still opinion - be it Atkins, Carb Cycling or WW it all has some scientific backup and some creditbility. I'm interested in what you have to say - sometimes it helps to read things you agree with or even things you disagree with. I've put in an "add" to see what you have to say.
  • chivalryder
    Options
    i agree on the forums topic - i also agree that alot is opinion - even from the scientific its still opinion - be it Atkins, Carb Cycling or WW it all has some scientific backup and some creditbility. I'm interested in what you have to say - sometimes it helps to read things you agree with or even things you disagree with. I've put in an "add" to see what you have to say.

Atkins and what not do have scientific reasoning behind them, but they tend to focus on one thing and blow it out of proportion. I agree it is all opinion, but when a study has been done on something, involving a group of people, and they get the same results over and over again, it's pretty conclusive. That's what I'll be looking for the most.
  • byebyeluvhandles
    byebyeluvhandles Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Sending FR. I'm looking forward to reading that you have to say and what you find.
  • chivalryder
    Options
    bump
  • chivalryder
    Options
    Wow, these threads really go down the list quickly!
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    I'll friend you I'm interested in reading your weekly blog.