I'm gaining weight on Insanity too! Help!

Options
Oh my goodness! I am so glad I read everyone's post. I am in the first week of month two of Insanity. I got on the scale this morning and oh my more weight gain. I am afraid to eat now. I try to stay under 1400 calories daily but I have to admit I've been ravenous since doing Insanity. So I am taking in about 1700 on some days. I am not follwing their meal plan. I was so blue this morning that I almost did not do the workout but I did any how. Perhaps this is water gain...so today I'm trying to eat several small meals a day. Thanks for the encouragement. When I started I was 149 and now today I weighed in at 156!! Help! Any advice and encouragement is welcome. Stay Blessed and at peace.
Edited by aldavis1967 on Thu 07/05/12 05:14 PM

Replies

• Sules02
    Sules02 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    How do your clothes fit? Worry less about the scale and enjoy the changing of your body. I know, I know, not what you wanna hear (me neither)but your body has got to be changing in a good way and muscle weighs more than fat.
    Breath and enjoy the process. Look at the food you are eating. I am so not an expert but once I went to a clean diet and dropped sugars the weight started to fall off. I have 12lbs off on my own before starting this site. You are doing great and congratulate yourself on working out any way. You didn't give up........The weight will come off. I bet next week you will drop quite a few.
    Hang in there!!
  • kmillar1224
    kmillar1224 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Hang in there girlie, you're turning fat into muscle, which will add to the scale - it's normal :0) Take a picture and compare it to before you started and you will most likely see a HUGE difference :0) You're doing awesome..keep it up!!
  • aldavis1967
    Options
    How do your clothes fit? Worry less about the scale and enjoy the changing of your body. I know, I know, not what you wanna hear (me neither)but your body has got to be changing in a good way and muscle weighs more than fat.
    Breath and enjoy the process. Look at the food you are eating. I am so not an expert but once I went to a clean diet and dropped sugars the weight started to fall off. I have 12lbs off on my own before starting this site. You are doing great and congratulate yourself on working out any way. You didn't give up........The weight will come off. I bet next week you will drop quite a few.
    Hang in there!!

My clothes are still fitting well. I will cut back on the sugar, other than the fruit in my protein shake which has stevia, I only put sugar and creamer in my coffee. I've had a lot of sugar during my birthday week two weeks ago. Thanks for the encouragement. I will keep going.
  • aldavis1967
    Options
    Hang in there girlie, you're turning fat into muscle, which will add to the scale - it's normal :0) Take a picture and compare it to before you started and you will most likely see a HUGE difference :0) You're doing awesome..keep it up!!

Turn fat, turn fat turn! Thank for your encouraging post.
  • aweigh2go
    aweigh2go Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I've been in the same boat but I've decided to leave the scale alone! If I look at the scale and haven't dropped, I tend to get a "Why in the heck am I putting myself through this" attitude and my workouts suffer. I may check my weight after 30 days of INSANITY but I certainly won't be checking it on a weekly basis.

If you must check your weight on a weekly basis though, take measurements first!

Keep up the good work!
  • kaigausista
    kaigausista Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    omg... i thought i was the only one facing this. Got on the scale too this morning and saw that I've gained. So I guess it's not fat gain but muscle gain. That's a relief.. whew!! I'm in month 2 as well and expected to lose this first week but I guess because the workout is more intense than month one maybe it's water gain. I'm partly following the nutrition plan and eating clean as much as possible. I hope to lose the scale as well for now... tough move to make but when it comes to insanity inches matters more.
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    Good to know! I'm starting Insanity on Monday and woulda been seriously bummed to see the scale go UP!
  • BetterYet
    BetterYet Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    No problem. It is muscle. Keep up your water intake and check how your clothes are fitting. Keep up the good work!! Keep smiling and pat yourself on the back.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    You aren't 'turning fat into muscle.' Most likely what is happening is extra water/glycogen storage as a response to stress/work.
  • soymilkcoffee
    Options
    I remember I gained 6 pounds when I first started Insanity. It came off and I lost 15 pounds by the end of it. No worries. Although I do find it strange you gained while on Month 2, the second month is extraordinarily harder than the first, so your body may be responding to stress. Do you have a heart rate monitor so you know exactly how much you're burning?

Diligently work your butt off and eat right. :) You'll definitely see results on the scale and the measuring tape.
  • charlynette73
    Options
    You're not turning fat into muscle...that is such a myth. Fat and muscle are two completely different tissues in the body. Because they are created, regulated, and destroyed by different (and opposing) metabolic pathways, it’s physically impossible from one to turn directly into the other. But you are getting stronger....just stick with the program....you'll see.....
  • jhc7324
    jhc7324 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Just remember that in order to gain a pound you have to consume 3500 calories more than you burn. I think if you've eaten an extra 21000 calories while you're doing insanity you probably wouldn't be able to complete the workouts because your belly would be too full.

Its just water weight.
  • Erykah3584
    Erykah3584 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are measuring as well! Since I started Insanity I have been maintaining the same weight. I was worried that I wasnt losing any weight and questioning if insanity was even working but when I did my measurements I noticed that I lost an inch on my waist BUT I gained an inch on both thighs and an inch on my booty! :bigsmile: Which Im happy about cause I had scrawny chicken legs and a flat butt!

Edit: I must add though that I also do strength training 3 days a week. I do lots of squats with heavy weight and also do some kettlebell exercises. So I cant say that its Insanity alone that is causing my muscle gain.
  • slimtrimgoody
    slimtrimgoody Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I don't know much about the insanity program, but my best guess is that the name speaks for itself. If the program is too rigourous for you, your body will reject it. There are no quick fixes to lose weight. Trust me, I have lost and gain weight too many times on too many different programs that promised a fast reduction plan, only to gain it all back and more. Here's my advice for whatever it is worth: First, pay attention to your body because it is telling you what you need. Forget about weighing yourself on a constant basis because it will only frustrate you. Follow the my fitness pal recommendations for your daily calorie intake and journal your food diary daily. Exercise 3-4 times a week and you will lose weight naturally. Good luck!