Discrepancy in my pedometer and actual distance.

Options
DLKeeble
DLKeeble Posts: 200 Member
Tonight my husband and I decided to extend our walk and speed. He has a app on his iphone and I have a new Ormon HJ-720ITC pedometer. We knew we had walked further than our regular 1.5 miles. My pedometer showed 1.7 miles walked and his app showed 2.5 miles. We got in the car and measured the route. It showed 2.1 miles. There was a significant difference in each of our distances. Have you experienced this? It is kind of discouraging after purchasing the pedometer and not having an accurate reading.

Replies

• YvetteLee1
    YvetteLee1 Posts: 12
    Options
    I don't know if this will help or not, but I wear a pedometer all the time. When I started walking in April, I had to walk about 2,500 steps for each mile. As time has gone on and I've been able to increase my speed, my step count has gone down. I now walk about 2,067 steps per mile. Your husband might have a different gait than you do, so that makes a difference. I hope this helps!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Have you calibrated it to your stride length? See pages 9 & 15 in the instruction manual.
  • rmalanisv
    rmalanisv Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Using the IPhone with a pedometer, you can use the location services (it will use GPS) and it will track your distance. I use a pedometer and my IPhone but in a treadmill. I adjust the app (calibration) with the miles on the treadmill. Hope it helps.