LOVE C25K! You should try it. :)

Options
Last night as I ran out in the open fresh air I kept thinking about how strong I actually felt in comparison to when I started C25K. I like to think that last night I looked like a true "Runner" out there :laugh:

I recall that when I started C25K sometime last year I was at around 188 lbs and I used to get so tired after those 30 second runs and the only ground I would cover was about 1.5 miles. Somehow a 5K seemed near to impossible because I was exhausted and my heart pounded as if it were trying to jump out of my chest.

Well, last night I ran about 50 minutes total with a couple of stops along the way at traffic intersections and such but other than that I ran. Yesterday I decided to take it a bit further and including my warm-up and cool down I was able to jog a total of 5.47 miles in 69 minutes. Wooohooo! :happy:

Just thought I'd share this in case any of you out there have tried C25K and it just seemed too difficult at the time...if that's the case I ask you to reconsider because you will build endurance. I took me a VERY LOOOONG time to finish it. I would repeat days and weeks until I felt comfortable moving on to the next day or week.

If you haven't tried it before perhaps you should give it a go (if your doctor approves)...you might discover that you love/enjoy running just as much as I do. :heart:

Replies

• Discoveri
    Discoveri Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I'm on the 2nd week and just finished the 4th day of it yesterday. I felt great and I've noticed that my endurance has really improved.
  • sjackson902
    sjackson902 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    You ran all of that AND ran it outside?! That's fantastic!!

I loved C25K and totally agree with OP. It's a great program for anyone interested in being a runner.
  • bloomlately
    bloomlately Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I'm on the 5th week currently and about to do my first big run tomorrow. I remember a time when I'd be out of breath climbing the stairs mid-day at work. I used to be so annoyed with myself about that. Obviously that's not a problem anymore. ;)
  • deniseg31
    deniseg31 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I'm on the 5th week currently and about to do my first big run tomorrow. I remember a time when I'd be out of breath climbing the stairs mid-day at work. I used to be so annoyed with myself about that. Obviously that's not a problem anymore. ;)

That wonderful! Congrats on your progress...keep it up. :) You know? I think you just made me realize that I don't huff and puff on my way up the stairs either. Wow!
  • lisapoo82
    lisapoo82 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Agreed! I'm going into week 9, and simply cannot believe the difference this program has made in my endurance! Once I'm comfortable with the 5k, I'm planning on signing up for my first mud run... I think that looks sooo fun!! :smile:

What's out there post-C25k? Has anyone looked into or tried B210k or Ei10k?
  • girlonfire15
    girlonfire15 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    C25K was a lifesaver for me. I went from never running a day in my life to going miles on end with ease. I can run 6 miles now without feeling anywhere near as tired as I did doing 3 minutes when I was starting out on it. I can't recommend this program enough to people interested in running!
  • bloomlately
    bloomlately Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    What's out there post-C25k? Has anyone looked into or tried B210k or Ei10k?

I always figured it was Bridge to 10k next. But my general plans are to settle into comfortably running 5k 2-3 times a week first and focus on increasing my speed.

I used to run without a problem when I was much younger. When I started packing on the pounds as a teenager (too much soda and fast food with friends), my dad would drag me out of the house during the school year and we'd do a 2mi run. I could run those no problem but I'd stop as soon as the sweltering Houston summer hit. Then I left for college and started gaining gaining gaining.

My dad's still pounding out at least 3-4 miles easily at 60... I figured I should try and catch up finally.
  • cait58
    cait58 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Love, love, love this plan! Congratulations on your success!!! :) I can't wait to get to the point where I can run the whole time without walking breaks!
  • Lesley2901
    Lesley2901 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 8 and really enjoying it - I never thought i would be able to run for more than 1 or 2 minutes! Hoping to progress to B210K after completing week 9. Good to hear you are enjoying your running and your progress is inspiring.
  • newhabit
    newhabit Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    i am on my 5th week next week and i've really been enjoying it. i'm a little nervous about the run time increasing in week 5 from 5 minute to 8 minute to 20 minute intervals but i'm up for the challenge!
  • nikinyx6
    nikinyx6 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Today was day one of C25K...can't wait til week 8...I want to be able to just RUN through the woods...just like Pocahantas lol
  • nix1975
    nix1975 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've just finished week 3 and I always get so excited when I read posts like this, it gives me hope for those 5 minute runs next week and that in the end I WILL BE able to run 5k. Thanks for sharing. xx
  • PixEm
    PixEm Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I am starting W6D1 tonight. Maryland has been hit with 100 plus degrees each day for a week and a half, so I have moved from doing the first 4 weeks outside to being inside on the treadmill. I hate this because I really feel like you are stronger running outside.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Last night as I ran out in the open fresh air I kept thinking about how strong I actually felt in comparison to when I started C25K. I like to think that last night I looked like a true "Runner" out there :laugh:

I recall that when I started C25K sometime last year I was at around 188 lbs and I used to get so tired after those 30 second runs and the only ground I would cover was about 1.5 miles. Somehow a 5K seemed near to impossible because I was exhausted and my heart pounded as if it were trying to jump out of my chest.

Well, last night I ran about 50 minutes total with a couple of stops along the way at traffic intersections and such but other than that I ran. Yesterday I decided to take it a bit further and including my warm-up and cool down I was able to jog a total of 5.47 miles in 69 minutes. Wooohooo! :happy:

Just thought I'd share this in case any of you out there have tried C25K and it just seemed too difficult at the time...if that's the case I ask you to reconsider because you will build endurance. I took me a VERY LOOOONG time to finish it. I would repeat days and weeks until I felt comfortable moving on to the next day or week.

If you haven't tried it before perhaps you should give it a go (if your doctor approves)...you might discover that you love/enjoy running just as much as I do. :heart:

^^ this ^^!!

congratulations on seeing through c25k and a beast of a 50 minute run! you will be belting out 10k runs before you know it. I gave up 3 times on c25k after getting into week2 last year, but this time I resolved to finish c25k and have discovered the trials and tribulations of running...it's a big part of my routine now and has changed the way I see so many things as running is incredibly cerebral .

I tip my hat to all of you that have either graduated or working on c25k right now...it's a wonderful,wonderful program and wish you much much luck and personal satisfaction from achieving what seems impossible...because thats just the start of this amazing journey of self discovery :-)
  • bluefox9er
    Options
    I downloaded the B210k app and was going to carry on with the bridge to 10k schedules, but I spent a week from finishing c25k to try and run 5k's, and after the 5th day I ran my first 10k without stopping. since then I started to run 10k's every run...all within 2 weeks of finishing c25k...the structure and build up of bridge to 10k is very logical but I just went for it and didn't really need it.

my pace is s-l-o-w, though..but it's endurance and distance that I want though, not speed :-)
  • munny_p
    munny_p Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I am on Week 1, Day 3 and about to go for my run right now...this thread is inspiring
  • godalego3
    godalego3 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I agree, C25K is where it's at. I finished it up back in May and have kept jogging since. I'm amazed at what my body is capable of! Definitely my favorite thing about it.
  • Flafster
    Flafster Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    It has honestly changed my life, which is not something I say lightly. I've got through 30 odd years hating all sports and almost being proud of it. I couldn't run for a bus in February.

I am now ITCHING to go for a 'quick' 5k tonight, but am having to resist because I won't be able to do a nice Big Run tmw morning if I do. I'm so proud of what my body can do. Like a toned down birth high. It's awesome.

I've been almost evangelical about it. It's absurdly good. I can't say it enough. Even a bad run feels good after. :D
  • simplyeater
    simplyeater Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I start Week 7 tomorrow. Love, love, love C25K. I swear it will turn anyone into a runner!
  • bluefox9er
    Options
    I start Week 7 tomorrow. Love, love, love C25K. I swear it will turn anyone into a runner!

nod,nod,nod...