Does anybody make their own waxing kits?

Options
I'd love to give waxing another shot after buying one of those kits and having all the wax stay on my leg rather than the strip...

I read a recipe for sugar, lemon and water which seems easy enough?

Replies

• poledancing_ninja
    Options
    Bump
  • dreamingchild
    dreamingchild Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    i don't but will be watching this thread to see what others say.
  • Dionysus35
    Dionysus35 Posts: 74
    Options
    I make my own beer..... :)
  • poledancing_ninja
    Options
    I make my own beer..... :)

I don't think that would do my pores any good :p
  • Dionysus35
    Dionysus35 Posts: 74
    Options
    You never know.....
  • YokoJ
    YokoJ Posts: 253
    Options
    I pay to get it done...I can never bring myself to snatch it.
  • Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    I don't make it but I do make sure I buy a water soluble type (which is most likely a sugaring type product and not an actual wax), Is it possible you bought the wrong wax (the hard type that doesn't use strips?) And did you powder your legs first? Also i never use the paper strips provided, I ripped up and old sheet for fabric strips (or you could just use cotton or calico) then after I use them I soak them in hot water and the wax dissolves and then I machine wash them, I think the paper strip are crappy!
  • poledancing_ninja
    Options
    I don't make it but I do make sure I buy a water soluble type (which is most likely a sugaring type product and not an actual wax), Is it possible you bought the wrong wax (the hard type that doesn't use strips?) And did you powder your legs first? Also i never use the paper strips provided, I ripped up and old sheet for fabric strips (or you could just use cotton or calico) then after I use them I soak them in hot water and the wax dissolves and then I machine wash them, I think the paper strip are crappy!

It was one of those you rub together to make them hot... they sucked.
  • JPal5
    JPal5 Posts: 178
    Options
    Found the recipe: http://mymakeupblog.blogspot.co.uk/2009/07/homemade-sugar-waxing-recipe.html
    Have never tried it so don't blame me if it's a fail!
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    I made it, used it, liked it. Have an extra jar in the fridge. Less painful than standard wax, more effective than the prewaxed strips. Make sure your hair is long enough so the sugar wax can grab hold of it. I used the softer version with the muslin strips because I had a bunch from a previous kit. Here's the site I used:

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CFIQFjAC&url=http://hairremoval.about.com/od/sugarwaxing/ss/sugar-hair-removal-recipe.htm&ei=hPX2T9qqGePq0gGlkunZBg&usg=AFQjCNGg2ayRPtvmaAQP7UelVPvjrQQf4A&sig2=7kAH-TBW9koTDlBW6zFq1A
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I prefer sugaring to waxing. That way it just sticks to the hair not the skin, less irritation. I've been getting sugaring done at a spa since 2004 (so not at home).
  • Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options

It was one of those you rub together to make them hot... they sucked.

Oh yeah I agree, those pre wax strip things suck balls!!!! you can buy this sugaring stuff if you don't want to make it, it comes in a tub and I heat it till its runny like honey and apply it with a flat knife and use my fabric strips. But give it a go to make! I may try that myself!
  • amh1974
    amh1974 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I say forget waxing and go have it lasered off! I had my bikini line (about $300 for 6 treatments plus 18 months of touch ups) done and my underarms (same cost). I couldn't be happier and rarely shave there. I am getting the legs done next. It's pricy but for the time and irratation I save it is totally worth it!