Exercise Post Surgery

Options
Opha30
Opha30 Posts: 15 Member
I'm having unexpected surgery on my knee next week and my doctor told me I could not run, use the elliptical, or bike, and I have to limit my walking for 6 weeks. I can "maybe" do yoga after 4 weeks.

I would appreciate any recommendations on how to keep at least some of the muscle tone I've built over the last 6 months. Also, is there anything I can do with my diet to prevent me from gaining weight (obviously keeping my calories in check, but should I, for example, eat fewer carbs and more protein?). I've worked too hard to let a little surgery get in the way of my health :-)

Replies

• wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Swimming after the stitches (if any) are out is a good exercise that is no impact. You can also do some resistance with bands or kettlebells. With the resistance you can work your arms and core and let up on the legs a bit.

As far as diet, watch calorie intake and extra protein probably wouldn't hurt any as long as you don't have a medical reason to not eat more.
  • catniss
    catniss Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Will you be going through physical therapy post surgery? That's usually what follows and if so, you can talk to the therapists and let them know that you want to work as hard as you can without hurting yourself and ask for exercises to do at home. Most p/t places are used to people just trying to do as little as possible--ask them to rehab you like an athlete and push you. Also, the surgeon usually writes up the p/t script, so you can explain the same thing to him.
    Then, be sure you allow your knee to heal--no sense in going through the surgery--only to push too hard and reinjure yourself.
    Good luck!!!!!
  • Derpina7
    Derpina7 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Do you by chance know the type of surgery you're getting done (ACL, MCL, PCL, LCL, etc)? I had ACL surgery done on my knee about two years ago, quad exercises helped me regain strength, I had to progress slowly though as not to stress out my knee even more. I imagine stretching (gently) should be alright, but time and progressive exercise is key to recovery!
  • Opha30
    Opha30 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    It's not surgery for an injury, I have a pre-cancerous mass (behind my knee of all places!) that needs to be removed. I've never had problems with my knees so thankfully I don't have to worry about reinjury or exacerbating a pre-existing injury, it's just a matter of making sure the wound heals properly and that I don't actually injure myself!