Need helping determining calories in homemade meals!

Options
One of the things I am struggling with most is when I make items at home that consist of more than one ingredient (speghetti for example). I can't seem to find a good way to determine how many servings once everything is all together so that I could determine my calories by putting in my recipe tool? Any suggestions? I do make alot of items this way and it is driving me crazy not to be able to log them properly and I don't want to guess. I am trying so hard to stay on track and do this the right way.

Replies

• emileesgram
    emileesgram Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    This may be time consuming but you could try figuring calories on each item alone..for example a cup of pasta, 1/2 cup of marinara, sautéed mushrooms etc. instead of trying to figure the calorie content as a whole. Some of this is a bit of guessing too .
  • tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    One of the things I am struggling with most is when I make items at home that consist of more than one ingredient (speghetti for example). I can't seem to find a good way to determine how many servings once everything is all together so that I could determine my calories by putting in my recipe tool? Any suggestions? I do make alot of items this way and it is driving me crazy not to be able to log them properly and I don't want to guess. I am trying so hard to stay on track and do this the right way.
    Go to your food diary and click on my recipes, and add them there
  • xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Add it as a recipe and add each of the ingredient and then when you set the number of servings it will calculate the calories per serving.
  • poohbear1971
    Options
    My trouble is trying to determine how many servings it will make once it is altogether. I have tried to enter into my recipe tool but without knowing the servings I will get it makes it tough. I generally cook a large amount for my family so this is where the problems come in.
  • mathematical2011
    mathematical2011 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    The OP is using the recipe tool, the trouble they're having is determining how many total servings they have made in their entire batch.

What I do, is after adding all the ingredients, I measure the entire batch (We have a large 8 C measuring cup), and put the number of servings at the number of cups, then when I add the recipe to my diary, the number of servings is simply the number of cups.

Hope that helps! :)
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    What are you making? When I make soup I measure it with a cup. When I make pasta or rice, I only cook 2 servings at a time, measuring it dry.
  • iieee
    iieee Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    How many people eat it or do you freeze the extra for later? The meals I make at home serve 2 adults and 2 children, who have roughly a half portion, so I put 3 servings in for everything (2 plus 2 1/2s)
  • poohbear1971
    Options
    Usually 3 adults are eating and I make plenty for leftovers as we have it for lunches during the week. We don't usually measure out the leftovers. We jsut store them in one container and dish them out as needed. I am usually making a rice or pasta dish when making these. Thanks for all the suggestions so far.
  • Pspetal
    Pspetal Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    The OP is using the recipe tool, the trouble they're having is determining how many total servings they have made in their entire batch.

What I do, is after adding all the ingredients, I measure the entire batch (We have a large 8 C measuring cup), and put the number of servings at the number of cups, then when I add the recipe to my diary, the number of servings is simply the number of cups.

Hope that helps! :)

^^^ this is exactly what I do too! Measure out the whole batch with a 1 cup measuring cup. If the entire batch is 5 cups, the number of servings is 5. When you serve yourself, serve with the 1 cup, 1/2 cup, 1/3 cup or 1/4 cup measuring cup (usually these 4 sizes come together when you buy measuring cups). That way, in your diary, you write 0.5 cup of serving if you ate half a cup.
  • Pspetal
    Pspetal Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Once you've measured out your whole batch, it doesn't matter whether you are eating it that day or the next. No need to measure leftovers either once you've measured the whole thing. All you have to do is serve yourself with the measuring cups and enter it in the diary.