fat in to muscle?

Options

Replies

• Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Ladies have unique needs that I couldn't address given that what works for me may not be the best program for a female seeking peak fitness.
    For cardio, do what you enjoy and what produces results.
    As for the specifics of your resistance program, just see what has worked for others in your position who have achieved what you seek.
    Here are some sites to give you ideas.

http://www.stumptuous.com/
    http://www.weightliftingforwomen.net/
    http://www.fitnessblender.com/

I know what works for me, and the main item that spells success is just the doing of something that targets every muscle group in the body.

It's work.
    The planning and the doing is just work, and you need to go to those sites and educate yourself without relying too much on the advice on others who may not know too much.
    Learn from the experts, then decide what your goals are and move from there.

All Is Possible!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    I've recently started lifting heavy and wish i did it sooner!

I weight train every other day, with weights as heavy as i can manage for 3 sets of 8-10 reps on each exercise. On days that i don't weight train i do an hour of cardio, and take a rest day whenever i feel the need.

Previous to MFP i spent years doing various routines with high reps/ low weights given to me by a gym ''instructor'' and never saw any real results, it's been less than a month since i started with this and already i am loving the results! I have gained a few lbs back since starting this new routine but I look longer and leaner than i ever have before, most definitely not bulky at all!!
    Each female client I have now went through the same. I have a waiting list right now because females are seeing results of other females that work with me. I and promote heavy lifting for females because scientific study shows it works. In fact some of my female peers (trainers who have been using the low weight/high rep regimen) are now consulting me on my philosophy because they want to know how I'm getting my females results.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • feast4thebeast
    feast4thebeast Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should try a recomposition diet have a look at lyle McDonald's stuff www.bodyrecomposition.com
  • therottenrook
    Options
    1) Fat cannot turn into muscle.
    2) The jiggly stuff is fat.
    3) Lose the fat.
    4) Weight lifting will build muscle.
    5) Unless you are taking steroids you will not get "bulky".
  • chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Every time someone says "toned", or a woman assumes that if she lifts anything heavier than a can of soup without taking obscene amounts of drugs or developing some psychotic hormone imbalance that bleeds pure testosterone into her eyesockets it makes me want to punch an infant into a bosu ball while doing a tricep kickback with the other hand.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Fat and muscle are two different types of cells... Fat is totally incapable of becoming muscle... and though lack of tone will make your arms flabby... it is still muscle tissue.

Cardio is good to burn extra fat (though some disagree with this statement). As for toning... the high reps of low weights really does not do anything but get you to chance injury. You are a WOMAN.. That means you do not have the hormones to assist in bulking. Most experts agree now that women should actually lift heavy.. This works the muscle and causes the toning you desire. Again, without the testosterone, you are not likely to bulk up... Muscle is hard to build so don't be scared of it.

That being said, you may want to check out the "The New Rules of Lifting for Women: Lift Like a Man, Look Like a Goddess" book by Lou Schuler.

Amazon quote:

In The New Rules of Lifting for Women, authors Lou Schuler, Cassandra Forsythe, and Alwyn Cosgrove present a comprehensive strength, conditioning, and nutrition plan destined to revolutionize the way women work out. All the latest studies prove that strength training, not aerobics, provides the key to losing fat and building a fit, strong body.

This book refutes the misconception that women will “bulk up” if they lift heavy weights. Nonsense! It’s tough enough for men to pack on muscle, and they have much more of the hormone necessary to build muscle: natural testosterone. Muscles need to be strengthened to achieve a lean, healthy look. Properly conditioned muscles increase metabolism and promote weight loss—it’s that simple.
  • GeneveSparkles
    GeneveSparkles Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Every time someone says "toned", or a woman assumes that if she lifts anything heavier than a can of soup without taking obscene amounts of drugs or developing some psychotic hormone imbalance that bleeds pure testosterone into her eyesockets it makes me want to punch an infant into a bosu ball while doing a tricep kickback with the other hand.

I remember reading in magazines a long time ago that "if you don't have weights you can use things around the house like soup cans" HAHAHA RIDONKULOUS!! No wonder women have such misconceptions about working out. I have a free subscription to SHAPE and I scoff at some of the stupid routines they have in that magizine, such a joke!
  • Sj20fame
    Sj20fame Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    [[/quote]

I think what her husband is trying to say is that if she builds muscle underneath the fat, she will look bulky. And yes, it might happen for a brief period, but you're still going to reduce body fat as long as you eat well and do some working out. Anything you experience with "bulking" will only be temporary.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. When I do Jillian 30 Day Shred or Ripped in 30, I don't lose a pound. I'm sure some areas of me look bulky (in fact, per measurements my biceps did increase in size), but some areas trimmed up really nice (my waist... yowzas!). I am not interested in hardcore lifting at this point in my life, but I have seen some great results from it on others. :-)
    [/quote]

Yes this is what he meant to say, and I'm just a confused person when it comes to weight lifting in general HAHAA but all this is REALLY HELPFUL INFORMATION! thank you all, now I won't be concerned with LIFTING HEAVY! or Lifting in General! I'm always very intimidated when it comes to all the weight lifting machines(they look scary lol ;) But Thanks again all, I'm looking forward to it now :)
  • Stace5
    Stace5 Posts: 70 Member
    Options

I weight train every other day, with weights as heavy as i can manage for 3 sets of 8-10 reps on each exercise. On days that i don't weight train i do an hour of cardio, and take a rest day whenever i feel the need.

Previous to MFP i spent years doing various routines with high reps/ low weights given to me by a gym ''instructor'' and never saw any real results, it's been less than a month since i started with this and already i am loving the results! I have gained a few lbs back since starting this new routine but I look longer and leaner than i ever have before, most definitely not bulky at all!!
    Each female client I have now went through the same. I have a waiting list right now because females are seeing results of other females that work with me. I and promote heavy lifting for females because scientific study shows it works. In fact some of my female peers (trainers who have been using the low weight/high rep regimen) are now consulting me on my philosophy because they want to know how I'm getting my females results.

IDEA Fitness member

They are very lucky to have a trainer like you then. It's taken me years and various trainers to find what works for me, and the only thing that's given me any real noticeable results is the information i've picked up from MFP forums! Also i am now finding that i am increasing strength so rapidly that i am upping my weights weekly :)
  • Sj20fame
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

They are very lucky to have a trainer like you then. It's taken me years and various trainers to find what works for me, and the only thing that's given me any real noticeable results is the information i've picked up from MFP forums! Also i am now finding that i am increasing strength so rapidly that i am upping my weights weekly :)

AWESOME!
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    The only problem we have is all of this misinformation and people selling what sells and not worrying about what works.
  • LindaCWy
    LindaCWy Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Hello all,

I need some help, so I want my arms to get toned, not bulky....My husband says I need to do cardio to burn off the fat and then start doing light weight lifting to tone, but he say's if I start weight lifting now that the fat will turn into muscle and I could look bulky.

People at work say to start weight lifting now, less weight/more repetitions...?

My arms do jiggle, and I just want them to get toned, not bulky...so I'm not really sure what the proper way is.

THANKS for your help! :)

Fat is fat, muscle is muscle. Fat doesn't turn into muscle, muscle doesn't turn into fat. Fat cells are completely different from your muscles, one cannot turn into the other.

Just like a mouse cannot turn into a frog...That doesn't happen does it?

Do your own research and stop listening to other people... which means don't listen to me either.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Damn, if fat turns into muscle my *kitten* should be a gold mine for big round fabulousness by now.

Fat doesn't turn to muscle. Lift now and lift heavy.
  • Sj20fame
    Options
    The problem with high rep/low weights is she wont get strong.
    Shes basically walking around with inflated arms till they run low again.
    The pump....

OP.
    Lift heavy and do it 3x a week.
    And dont worry about the arms but do the whole body.
    Reason is youll work the arms as a by product of compound lifting.
    www.stronglifts.com

YES!!
    lift HEAVY!!

HEAVY HEAVY HEAVY!!

we dont have the amount of testosterone needed to get "bulky" google Jamie Eason. if you think that she's bulky, then yeah, stay away from heavy weights.

OH I am! thanks! :)
  • chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Yes this is what he meant to say, and I'm just a confused person when it comes to weight lifting in general HAHAA but all this is REALLY HELPFUL INFORMATION! thank you all, now I won't be concerned with LIFTING HEAVY! or Lifting in General! I'm always very intimidated when it comes to all the weight lifting machines(they look scary lol ;) But Thanks again all, I'm looking forward to it now :)

Do heavy squats and deadlifts.

Tell your husband he can thank me later.
  • Sj20fame
    Options
    Damn, if fat turns into muscle my *kitten* should be a gold mine for big round fabulousness by now.

Fat doesn't turn to muscle. Lift now and lift heavy.

BAHAHAHA THIS WAS GREATT!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Fat does not turn into muscle when you lift weights.

Fat will not turn into muscle no matter what you do. That isn't possible. :-)

Otherwise, I think the question was answered.
  • Sj20fame
    Options

Do heavy squats and deadlifts.

Tell your husband he can thank me later.

SQUATS, DEADLIFTS, GOT IT!! ;) he he
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Lol, what's ironic is that I DON'T want any more clients! I specifically took the job because I only wanted "part time" work. I instruct kickboxing (1 hour) 7 days a week and now have 10 clients. Many of my peers have 25 or more and want more, where I DON'T want anymore than I have now because I enjoy my own workout time and I'm a SAHD and the time I spend with my 7 year old daughter is important to me.
    I also don't conform to A LOT of what the fitness industry spouts when it comes to fitness in general. Things like "don't eat after 7pm", "only eat clean", etc. Maybe that's why the waiting list is long. Apparently the sign up sheet is on page 2 (10 on a sheet) according to my fitness manager. I don't bother to look, I just take on the next person in line once I'm "done" with a client who reaches goal.

IDEA Fitness member
  • steadk
    steadk Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy, low reps, all the way!! :)