Great Ab Workouts

Options
Does anyone know some really good ab/ oblique workouts besides crunches or sit ups? Any is appreciated. :happy:

Replies

• blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    If you google Abs Blueprint, you'll find a great ab e-book written by Rusty Moore of Fitness Black Book. It's a short e-book with several ab workouts - last I checked he was still giving it away for free.

Hope that helps.
  • neverquit16
    Options
    Thank you!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know some really good ab/ oblique workouts besides crunches or sit ups? Any is appreciated. :happy:
    Is it because you want to strengthen your abs/obliques or because you think doing them will give you a slimmer waistline?

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ryno0618
    ryno0618 Posts: 361
    Options
    I complete a 15 minute ab workout 3 times a week as part of my exercise routine at home.

I do the following exercises 30 seconds each. rest 30 seconds between. do the list 3 times for 3 sets of each exercise.

- situps
    - reverse crunches
    - side bends with dumbbell
    - bicycle crunches
    - planks
    - side planks
    - mountain climbers
    - overhead weighted crunch
    - crunchy frogs
    - scissors
    - medicine ball side to side
  • neverquit16
    Options
    [/quote]Is it because you want to strengthen your abs/obliques or because you think doing them will give you a slimmer waistline?

IDEA Fitness member

[/quote]
    Both.As most people I want that slimmer waist, but I also want the core strength too.
  • neverquit16
    Options
    I complete a 15 minute ab workout 3 times a week as part of my exercise routine at home.

I do the following exercises 30 seconds each. rest 30 seconds between. do the list 3 times for 3 sets of each exercise.

- situps
    - reverse crunches
    - side bends with dumbbell
    - bicycle crunches
    - planks
    - side planks
    - mountain climbers
    - overhead weighted crunch
    - crunchy frogs
    - scissors
    - medicine ball side to side
    I will definitely have to try some of these!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    Is it because you want to strengthen your abs/obliques or because you think doing them will give you a slimmer waistline?

IDEA Fitness member

Both.As most people I want that slimmer waist, but I also want the core strength too.
    Well then I would suggest deadlifts and squats too. You NEED a strong core to do them with good form and the extra work really helps with slimming the whole body down.

IDEA Fitness member
  • neverquit16
    Options
    Thank you. I need to start lifting soon. Right now I've been focusing on cardio to help shred off the fat, so I'm trying to incorporate more strength training workouts.
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    bump
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Dragon flags and L-sits
  • fisherlassie
    fisherlassie Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Bob Harper's Totally Ripped Core DVD.
  • Merrychrissmith
    Merrychrissmith Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    bump
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Focus on a heavy lifting strength training program centered on compound lifts and you wont need any direct ab work.

<--- I started doing more compound lifts with heavier weight and dropped my ab work and cardio from 2 days/week to 1 and focused more on diet, then I got a 6 pack.
  • Linbo93
    Linbo93 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Bump! Taking a kickboxing class in a few weeks and want to get a jump start on core strength so I'm not so behind when I start! :OD
  • wisegirl_k
    wisegirl_k Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I need to start lifting soon. Right now I've been focusing on cardio to help shred off the fat, so I'm trying to incorporate more strength training workouts.

Weight lifting also burns fat and continues to burn long after you leave the gym. So you don't have to start with cardio to shed fat before starting your lifting regimen. Do both :)

Also, you don't need to isolate your abs to get a strong core and slimmer waste line. Doing compound exercises with correct form will help strengthen your core and in turn slim your waste line.
    Good luck!
  • neverquit16
    Options
    Everyone's advice is really helpful. Thank you so much!!
  • cortezpj
    cortezpj Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • Pgarcia413
    Pgarcia413 Posts: 28
    Options
    Also, yoga is great for the core. Dolphin pose is my favorite. And my friend with the killer abs swears by her pilates.

But i also do weightlifting, full body work. Small things you can do in your day is sit up straight, hold your abs in. When you walk, keep your abs tight. Small changes that will also help.
  • jecka93
    jecka93 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Insane abs & Cardio Circuit 1 - Tae Bo, Billy Blanks,
    I have my success story posted if you want to see pics :)